Churchill hub puller

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

smdl Shaun Laughy
Courtenay, BC, Canada   CAN
Have been watching this thread with interest, and am very interested in purchasing a TR version when you're ready.

With regard to your question about the combo Spitfire/TR version, here are my thoughts: If you can add the Spitfire capability to the TR version without any impact to durability or effectiveness, then I would be happy to pay the additional $20. If not, the I would prefer two separate pullers.

Just my $.02.

Thanks for helping the community with this.

Cheers,
Shaun

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oldhokie Gold Member DAN ALLEN
Myersville, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 1513050 by smdl Have been watching this thread with interest, and am very interested in purchasing a TR version when you're ready.

With regard to your question about the combo Spitfire/TR version, here are my thoughts: If you can add the Spitfire capability to the TR version without any impact to durability or effectiveness, then I would be happy to pay the additional $20. If not, the I would prefer two separate pullers.

Just my $.02.

Thanks for helping the community with this.

Cheers,
Shaun

Thank you for your input. After giving it some more thought I am going to have another look at a "universal" design - this time using interchangeable centers to avoid the interference issues. I think all I need do is make an additional center for the one I just finished and add 3-3/4" bolt circle holes to the outer ring. Hopefully I will have something more for show and tell shortly.

I have material for some one piece Spit pullers coming but the cost for one is going to be in the $90 range

Dan

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
SlimJim Jim M
Bunker Hill, WV, USA   USA
Hey, Dan

I think a dual purpose tool is more marketable. I'm willing to purchase the prototype. My spitfire sat for 20 yrs. in a wet, dirt floor shed in Hagerstown (you might know it) and could give it a real test. Don't have a problem with the price, just want to help get the tool as viable as possible.

In reply to # 1513116 by SlimJim Hey, Dan

I think a dual purpose tool is more marketable. I'm willing to purchase the prototype. My spitfire sat for 20 yrs. in a wet, dirt floor shed in Hagerstown (you might know it) and could give it a real test. Don't have a problem with the price, just want to help get the tool as viable as possible.

One Ring To Rule Them All

My thoughts exactly and it was easier than I anticipated. It even passes my aesthetics test cool smiley

As you can see from the tiny bridge left after cutting the relief there is just enough room to get an 11/16th socket on the Spit lug nut. I still have to add a very small relief for the TR lug nuts, countersink all the holes, mill a couple flats on the top for a wrench, and do some deburring/polishing and it should be good to go.

Jim, I'll give you a call in a little bit. That shed wouldn't happen to belong to Roger Worthington would it? Speaking of which I wonder if Roger or one of his mechanics would be interested in one......

Dan

Member Services:
Engineering, design and fabrication of custom. hard to find, or NLA parts and tools. No job too small.
Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
Dan-

Our my eyes seeing this correctly - your "one ring" tool also has the fitting for the early threaded hubs? If so definitely count me in, this looks incredibly versatile!

Randy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
In reply to # 1513126 by Britnut Dan-

Our my eyes seeing this correctly - your "one ring" tool also has the fitting for the early threaded hubs? If so definitely count me in, this looks incredibly versatile!

Randy

The threaded hub tool is not part of the "one ring" solution - it was just laying on the bench when I took the picture. Sorry for the confusion.

Dan

Member Services:
Well I have good news and bad news.

Good is I finished the puller and gave it another test on the untouched hub of my TR4. This one was bear and required a couple 3 foot long pipes but the puller did its job perfectly.

Bad news is that when the hub broke loose with a big bang I fell sideways and broke my ankle.

No more shop time for me anytime soon....

Member Services:
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1499243 by Tonyfixit That is not something I would want to drop on my foot ;-)

Lovely workthumbs up

Sorry to hear this Dan, I do wish a speedy recovery.

But I have to say it....."Don't say I didn't warn you"

Milpitas, CA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Merlin"
Dan,

Sorry to hear about your injury.
I wish a quick recovery.

DR

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Dan,
Wow, take care of that ankle and get well soon...prayers sent your way.
Rut

Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Ouch so sorry Dan- wish you the best for a quick recovery

smdl Shaun Laughy
Courtenay, BC, Canada   CAN
Aw, that sucks, Dan! Wishing you a quick recovery.

Shaun

Thanks gentlemen,

Just got back from the E room and I am happy to report they tell me it is a cracked tibia and no surgery needed. I am hobbling around with crutches and a splint for now. Go to see the bone doc ASAP for a more detailed evaluation. This is going to put a major crimp in my shop time.

I can tell you I had the puller cranked up really tight - three foot cheater and my full weight on the end. When it let go it was LOUD. I see why these things have the reputation the do. I didn't get a chance to make a full exam but I think the puller came through unscathed. No so the old hokie. I will survive and hopefully be mobile enough to get back on the horse in a couple weeks

Dan

Member Services:
Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Although Dan is hobbled right now, he wound up still sending me the small threaded version puller for old style hubs. I tried it out this weekend with success on two axles. Worked great on both. The only minor issue I had was the puller relies on the factory threads on the hub - one of my hubs was too beat up to thread the puller on, but that was solved by dressing the threads a bit. Once it was threaded on, a few hits with my impact wrench and they broke free. These hubs may have been rebuilt at one time so no major bang noise occurred and I don't think I stressed things too much. Not sure it would work as well on rusty original axles but some of them give trouble to almost any tool you use.

Thanks much Dan, and wish you a speedy recovery.

Attachments:
IMG_1951.jpg    23.7 KB
IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg    56.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1947.jpg    44.2 KB
IMG_1948.jpg    47.8 KB
Milpitas, CA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Merlin"
Hi Dan,

Just wondering how you are doing?
And of course another bump to the top so this topic doesn't get buried.

Regards,
DR

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster