TR4 & TR4A Forum

Carburetor Size

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Carburetor Size
  This topic is about my 1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
GBGary Avatar
GBGary Gold Member Gary R
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
1972 MG MGB "Frankenstein"
1972 Rover 3500 "Bertie"    & more
I'm in need of some help. I have a '63 Morgan +4 with what I believe is a '63 TR4 engine. Engine number is CT56247 and my question is, what was the stock size of Zenith-Stromberg carburetor for that year. My first car was a '63 TR4 with the Strombergs, but, I didn't know the size of those either. I believe they were 1 1/2" but that's just a guess.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
They would be H-6 SU carbs I think. The HS6 was used in the Tr4a, and TR4 also got 175 Zenith Stromberg carbs as well. Kyle.

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
Kyle, thanks that’s what I needed to know. In ‘63 & ‘64 triumph used ZS and went back to SU’s in ‘65, or could be ‘66. I’m ordering air cleaners and needed to know the size. Thanks for your help,
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zedsn Ed Schaefer
Westlake, OH, USA   USA
TR4 carbs are 1 3/4"

olivier31 Avatar
olivier31 Olivier VIDAL
MURET, France   FRA
Yep, Stromberg 175 CD on my '63 TR4

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
Ed and Olivier thanks for the response. Olivier, the picture was a nice touch. Your carburetors sure look clean, well done.

After getting your responses and thinking about it, I've never heard of 1 1/2 ZS carbs. The question came up from the Moss catalog because they have both the 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 sizes, but after giving it some thought I realized I've only heard of "175 Zenith Stromberg".

Gary

titanic Berry P
Albany, OR, USA   USA
Gary-ZS model designation are the size with the first digit being 1" and the last 2 digits indicating the decimal equivalent . ZS 150=1.5", ZS 175=1.75"
SU models use a similar designation, but the size is the number of 1/8" over 1". H4=1.5", H6=1.75", etc.
I believe the ZS 150 was used on the GT6 and some sedans.
Berry

rod-h Avatar
rod-h Silver Member Rodney Hamilton
Lago Vista, TX, USA   USA
That is correct on the 150's coming on the GT6. My old GT6 had ZS150 carbs on it, well, until the turbo ;-)

The older I get the more cynical I become, but, I can't keep up.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster