Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Horton Heath Barry Evans
Eastleigh, Hants, UK   GBR
1967 Triumph TR4A "Tommy"
Would like to get my TR4A off the ground for the winter and would therefore like to purchase a reasonably priced scissor lift.

There are a couple on EBay at around £450 but writing to the sellers the minimum ground clearance is 150mm. Measuring the chassis members I reckon the maximum I could get away with is 140mm.

Anyone know of a UK supplier that sells anything suitable at around that price or does anyone have one to sell?

Thanks, Barry

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
JimG Avatar
JimG Jim G
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
Any chance of driving it up on some wood blocks ( 2x6's) long enough to get it on the scissor hoist ?
They just roll in from the F/R or side right ?

Yes No Thank
alanseries1 Avatar
alanseries1 Alan A
Leyland, lancashire, UK   GBR
Hi Barry I have been looking at the very same scissor lift my self ,I went to the Footman James classic car show last weekend at Events City Manchester and they had them with the fixed width at £340 and the adjustable 3 size at £440 .

I spoke with the sales guy and said its too tall to fit under a TR he pointed me to the low ramps at £60 for 4 which will raise the car 50mm . Rather expensive for what could be done with a decent 8"x4"x8ft wooden beam cut into 4 with a angle cut to make the ramp effect. The only problem I see with this type of lift is the access between the rails ie the centre of the car but the tilt does compensate for that. They seem well made and I am still mulling it over.

At present I have a set of display car ramps that you see on the car showroom forecourt . I can sit on the floor and work under the car the down side is the wheels are on the ramps so to work on say the brake you have to raise the car off the ramps plus you need a place to store them at 16ft long it can be a problem . They are galvanized so live outside and I made a two wheeled axel to shunt them around.

The MG was sold when I bought my TR6 and now with a LHD conversation lives in the south of France

Alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-21 11:22 AM by alanseries1.

Attachments:
WP_20160608_21_28_08_Pro.jpg    21.2 KB
WP_20160608_21_28_08_Pro.jpg

Yes No Thank
ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
I have the same problem with my mid-rise scissor lift. I built a set of ramps from 2x4s on edge and some 3/4" plywood on top. This allows the whole lift mechanism to nestle nicely at the same height between the ramps. Yes, there is limited access under the center of the car with a scissor lift, but fortunately on the TRs, the gearbox comes out through the top. Most other jobs access to the center is not needed.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Attachments:
IMG_1103.JPG    42.9 KB
IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG    59.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
alanseries1 Avatar
alanseries1 Alan A
Leyland, lancashire, UK   GBR
I like your idea its easy to make and the lift can stay in place on the garage floor ready to use .

Yes No Thank
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
I have the same set up. Would not work without it.
Marv

Yes No Thank
ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, VA, USA   USA
Art, what brand and model is your lift and I assume it bears on points on the frame?

Yes No Thank
ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1566588 by ducbsa Art, what brand and model is your lift and I assume it bears on points on the frame?

I've got an Atlas TD6MR Mid-Rise scissor lift. Because the track on the TR3 is so narrow, I can't use the adjustable arms that come with the lift. I just use wooden blocks laid on the flat sections of the lift. One of these days, I'll make a small adjustment to the lift so I can use the arms. Check out the video in the link that I gave. They even show how they handle cars with low ground clearance.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Yes No Thank
ric350 Avatar
ric350 Jim Feeney
Holmdel, NJ, USA   USA
I’ve come close to buying one of these but never quite pulled the trigger.

https://www.kwik-lift.com

Jim

Yes No Thank
MGB777 Avatar
MGB777 Tim Smith
Oregon, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "The "Abbey"
1960 Triumph TR3A "Patch's"
1966 Triumph TR4A
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Little Bro"    & more
Jim ………. I picked this up off craigslist today for a $1k……… it's heavy duty for sure … I'll let you know how it works out

Attachments:
IMG_7056.JPG    44.4 KB
IMG_7056.JPG

Yes No Thank
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Save your money and go for the scissor lift. I can't do with out it. The arms on mine work great.
Marv

Yes No Thank
MGB777 Avatar
MGB777 Tim Smith
Oregon, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "The "Abbey"
1966 Triumph TR4A
seems every ramp has it's limitations and restrictions. I wanted something safer than my jack stands and a little more room to work. I'm no pro with a lot of space and $$ and this tool will hopefully help me out .

Yes No Thank
MGB777 Avatar
MGB777 Tim Smith
Oregon, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "The "Abbey"
1966 Triumph TR4A
I learned today I can get a narrower 34" inch center bridge that works for smaller cars like ours. With the ramps pushed in as far as possible and a little wiggle room most of the tires are on the ramp.

Attachments:
kwikjack1.JPG    33.9 KB
kwikjack1.JPG

Yes No Thank
ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1570878 by MGB777 most of the tires are on the ramp.

Are you saying that some of the tire width is hanging in the air?

I looked at their website and couldn't find any dimensions on car track width that can be accommodated.

Yes No Thank
Horton Heath Barry Evans
Eastleigh, Hants, UK   GBR
1967 Triumph TR4A "Tommy"
Don't want the tyres on the ramp, the one I looked at located on the chassis members, it;s just that the clearance of the car (140mm) didn't match the minimum clearance of the lift (150mm).

Have now solved the problem by bolting together 2 75mm planks of wood either side, and driving the car up them to get sufficient clearance for the lift.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links