AutoShrine Sponsor

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Blue Caboose"
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph TR4A
1968 Triumph TR250 "The 'Project"
Looking for thoughts on this needed repair. Do I just try to patch it or do I replace the whole shelf? This is the only rust on the entire car.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4033.jpg    55.8 KB
IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg    58 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
How is the surrounding metal? If pretty solid I might attempt to form a patch. If rusted thin, I'd replace it.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Sarastro Avatar
Sarastro Steve Maas
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
If the remaining metal is significantly thinned by rust pitting, you won't be able to weld it successfully--you'll just keep burning through. So, you will have to cut it back to good metal. I suspect you'll lose most of the battery box when you do that, but even so, it's usually much easier to patch than to replace the whole sheet-metal piece. You'll just have to examine it carefully and plan what you need to do.

The front section looks like it might need some work, too. This is not going to be easy with the engine, heater, and all the under-dash stuff in the way.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster