1964 Triumph TR4 Commission Plate and Engine number question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sonunet Sonny K
Denver, CO, USA   USA
Hi TE fellows -- Today I came across a 1964 Triumph TR4 that I'm seriously considering purchasing. When I went to go look at the car today I noticed that the black print on the Commission Plate was gone. Left with just the numbers which read CT 337XX L (XX used in place of numbers). Now my question is a few folds. First, does someone have an example of a 64 TR4 commission plate? I want to try and compare the stamped numbers. Second, do you know if only the commission number was stamped? That's all that's showing on the one that I'm considering. No color codes, etc. Third, does any know of a good resource (outside of ordering an H certificate) of a site that has engine number ranges? I'm seeing if this is possibly a number matching car. The guy had 2 engines, one in the car and one next to the car. The one in was CT34077E whereas the one on the side was CT18215E. Wondering if there was a site to see what engine ranges went into a 1964 TR4.

Thanks in advance!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sarastro Avatar
Sarastro Steve Maas
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
If you can score a copy of Bill Piggot's book, "Original Triumph TR," it has answers to all these questions. It's good to look there, because the TR commission plates changed a bit with models. He has examples of all of them.

I can tell you that the engine numbers were approximately, but not exactly, the same as the commission nos. So, the one in the car is more likely to be the original. But you can tell for sure only with the heritage certificate.

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Early TR4s , just commission number. I have a couple of vin plates like that one. All that is left is the stamped number. Engine in car sounds about right to be the original. Good luck!
Marv

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
My 64 had nothing but stamping on the plate, no black.

In addition to the commission number it also had the paint code and interior color code.

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
The change from Commission Plates that only included the Commission Number to the plates that had the Commission Number, Paint Code, and Interior code took place late in the TR4 production according to The Roadster Factory. That said, there could be 1964 TR4s early in the year that had only the Commission Number and cars later in the year that included Paint and Interior codes. As you know Triumph did not normally make changes from model year to model year, but by commission numbers or sometimes body numbers as new parts were introduces which could be anytime during the year.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 10.27.33 AM.jpg    43.4 KB
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 10.27.33 AM.jpg

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
I wish they made a decal or transfer to go on the original plates.
Rut

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
Those are indeed the 2 plates typically offered as TR4 replacements but the original on my 64 was different from either.

It was like the bottom one in that it has commission number, paint & trim but the weight (not stamped) was in Kilos.

You can just see the K in Kilos in this pic:

I mention this just to point out that there were variations.

oldbagpipe Avatar
oldbagpipe Alec Buchan
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "Blue Caboose"
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph TR4A
1968 Triumph TR250 "The 'Project"
Is all the lettering embossed on the replacement tags like the originals? At least the early ones?

In looking at my '67, it doesn't appear to be embossed like the early ones. However, it does include a lot more information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-01 08:45 PM by oldbagpipe.

Attachments:
Tag.jpg    31.5 KB
Tag.jpg

67Tag.jpg    30.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bltriumph Steve Choquette
Erin, ON, Canada   CAN
the green car that gene is selling??

sonunet Sonny K
Denver, CO, USA   USA
Steve -- I just sent you an email.

In reply to # 1587077 by bltriumph the green car that gene is selling??

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
My replacement for the early style is NO embossed.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster