Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

taylorschone Taylor Schone
St. George, UT, USA   USA
Greetings,

I’m hoping some of you TR4 experts can shed some insights on the history and changes made to a car we just acquired as we make plans to revive her.

Commission #CT 4649 L. Appears to have been originally White/Red. Was purchased in the Nevada desert where it has been for most of its known life according to previous owners.

It appears the motor/carbs/manifold was replaced with a late TR3 motor #TS46655 E. It also appears the original metal painted dash was swapped out with an an aftermarket wood kit. The seats were stolen during previous storage but appears very complete otherwise.

What else do you see that may shed some light on what we have here? Plan is to revive the fuel system and see what happens before making any plans.

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
C76EC9FA-A941-429B-8B2C-23753EAD28DB.jpeg    64.7 KB
C76EC9FA-A941-429B-8B2C-23753EAD28DB.jpeg

B2FDDA2F-F31F-4413-969A-D1D638EFD05D.jpeg    52.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
063609BE-ECFE-4E7E-942A-9BF1F9141A27.jpeg    27.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
wrayg Avatar
wrayg wray brady
bethel park,pa, USA   USA
Nice early car with limited rust showing in the pictures. You should look at the very sight and learn more about these cars that have many unique features, short bubble hood, domed gauges, etc. essentially a lot of left over tr3 parts were used to assemble these. Good luck,

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, VA, USA   USA
Wray, can you give more details for the very site? Google didn’t help me.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
It also looks like a later style radiator then would have originally been on CT 4649 L.

Seat tracks also look newer, should have the older style with round adjust levers with round black balls at the end, not the flat style.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

bltriumph Steve Choquette
Erin, ON, Canada   CAN
don't think it is a 1962 no steel dash or bubble gauges

Broken Wrench Avatar
Broken Wrench Gold Member Steven S
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Commission plate is on the wrong side I think. Also, that commission number would be '61 manufacture and should have a short bulge and the old style trunk(boot) support, domed gauges, etc. I couldn't tell from the photos on my phone. Does it have these?

Steve

68 TR250 - daily driver
62 TR4

Steve - according to the reference below, CT2471 began in 62’, making this car a fairly early 62’.

Is there any accurate info on when those early features disappeared?

wrayg Avatar
wrayg wray brady
Taylor, sorry for the slow response. I suggest that your vin is an early 4 with features described here by others. I meant to say google thevintage Triumph register. There is some good basic info on triumphs. You could also post to their forum with the vin and feel you would get some very good response. Given the vin, I would expect that your car was originally built with those but that at some point it was restored to that owners taste or whatever car parts were available. Clearly painted a non original color. I have an originality guide that lists production changes by vin and will look up some of those if you need such. past what has already been mentioned are; unique trunk lid prop, white dash with turned center aluminum gauge cluster, stainless cockpit surrounds and windshield capping, and more. Some cars even had features from tr3 frames with a tab for the 3 fender brace. Good luck.

Thanks Wray! Should we decide to restore the car correctly, I would love to study the production changes - I haven’t been able to find any such info on the web yet, what source are you using?

Based on the VIN, it suggests past owners would have replaced the trunk rod, hood, engine/components, dash and gauges, etc. Based on how long the car had been sitting, and the original paint inside the trunk I would be very curious to know when such changes too place during production.

I look forward to learning more from you, and many other experts. I appreciate your responses and willingness to assist.

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595604 by taylorschone Based on the VIN, it suggests past owners would have replaced the trunk rod, hood, engine/components, dash and gauges, etc...

Occam's Razor may suggest that someone simply changed the 'VIN' (commission plate).

I thought about that because I know it’s done commonly, but it’s a near match to the body # which looks ancient and would have also had to have been changed a long, long time ago but possible..

wrayg Avatar
wrayg wray brady
I use Bill Piggot's Original tr4-6 guide. It has production changes. I had a car around 1780. Piggot says trunk prop changed at 5643, short to long bubble at 6429, long neck radiator at 9553, flat glass instruments at 11307. My car was unmolested and had original everything. Seems to me that early cars, meaning produced thru mid 62 had whatever the assembly guys could lay hands on.

Erin, ON, Canada   CAN
remove the cockpit surrounds the front edge of the filler section is the same width to each of the door openings it is about 2 inches wide ,on the later tr4's tr4a's it narrows you can no longer buy the early deck extensions that will tell you if it is a truly early tr4 unless someone has changed the rear clip of the car

Steve, is this the section you are referring to?

Attachments:
41ABA529-CC8B-43F2-B772-B62707BBE3DF.jpeg    37 KB
41ABA529-CC8B-43F2-B772-B62707BBE3DF.jpeg

Erin, ON, Canada   CAN
under the trim, you have pics of the drivers side, all three pieces need to be removed, there is a right and left deck extension's and the center filler section all covered by trim, a star screw driver will or should remove them and then you will see what I am talking about I have two early tr4's as well many later tr4s' tr4a's and there is a difference best to call me if you are not understanding me or what I am trying to convey to you 905 873 1774

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster