Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

doctorgram Avatar
doctorgram Chester Graham
Modesto, CA, USA   USA
Is it me, or is it just Moss but 35$ for 10 stud dots that go on the windshield seems ridiculous!
Sound off!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I'm a (very) amateur machinist; I like making my own parts. Even so, there is no way I would try to reproduce those studs for $3.50 apiece. 2BA threads full depth up to a blind shoulder, then chromed on top of that. Don't forget, the part (including the threads) has to be undersized to allow for the thickness of the chrome.

Keep in mind, this is a very low volume part. The cost of the tooling, and machine tool setup, has to be spread across a fairly small number of parts. Good chrome is getting expensive too; the chemicals involved are very unfriendly to the environment and there's a lot of bureaucratic red tape involved (not to mention the risk of them deciding you did it wrong and levying a fine). Most of the chrome shops around here have closed.

Then of course, whoever makes them wants their profit, and Moss adds their profit on top of that.

But if it bugs you, TRF has them listed on sale for $3 each. Might be worth it if you only need 1 or 2.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
OR you could just buy them across the pond from Rimmer Bros for a buck twenty-five https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-553827

Cool I just learned something by that search, I never knew that there was supposed to be a leather washer beneath all the L.T.D. studs. When I did my resto 24 years ago moss supplied as an option small plastic washers to install between the body and the stud to protect the paint and they have been there ever since. Now I see that a leather washer (same as the one on the back of the oil gauge) was standard issue and is now available!

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 07:47 AM by Jacad.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trjohnnie John Malinick
Mirror Lake, NH, USA   USA
If you want to dance,you have to pay the band.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I don't believe the leather washer was original for studs. There is no mention of it in the factory spare parts catalogue; and I've never seen even the remains of it when disassembling unrestored cars.

Certainly nothing wrong with adding it, if you choose.

PS, that image also doesn't look like a very good reproduction. On the original Tenax pegs, the ball was round.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 10:19 AM by TR3driver.

Jacad Avatar
Randall,

Moss lists it as being available from TR2 TS5256 thru TR3B https://mossmotors.com/washer-leather-paint-protecting?assoc=42462 and Rimmer Give part number https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID200891 also from TS5256 thru TR3A

I too had never seen them in the parts book but Moss, Rimmer, SC Parts group all show it so it must have come from somewheres. Could they all be wrong? Perhaps they are included in an ammendment to the parts catalog somewhere along the line? Moss europe has this note to the nylon washer offered WASHER, nylon
Notes: This nylon washer is offered as an improvement to the original leather washer fitted under Tenax pegs to prevent damage to bodywork. The nylon washer does not distort when the peg is tightened.

Barry
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 11:33 AM by Jacad.

Jacad Avatar
Call them what you will but to me they are "baby" tenax studs and they look very much like the ones that TRF supplied to me 23 years ago and definitely not round but more like with a pointed top. As you know, the very early ones for the TR2's have not been available since about 9 BCsmiling smiley

Barry

Attachments:
Tenax.jpg    31.5 KB
Tenax.jpg

ShortBulge Avatar
ShortBulge Silver Member Brian LeBlanc
Falls Church, VA, USA   USA
...i play... and getting band paid is always a pia

JOHNMIDAS59 Avatar
JOHNMIDAS59 Silver Member John Barron
Edmond, OK, USA   USA
I might have what you are looking for? I ordered for my windshield and turned out I needed one for rare frame. I can't send them back? I put the nuts on for my application.

Attachments:
20190210_171518.jpg    31.3 KB
20190210_171518.jpg

20190210_171607.jpg    22.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster