Wheel arch to quarter panel questions

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LeGrande Gold Member Leon Daby
Englewood, FL, USA   USA
It's amazing what you uncover when you start digging into another persons project. Anyway, what I need help with has to do with the third photo. On one side the radius of the wheel arch matches, pretty close, the radius of the quarter panel. On the right side shown, the radius of the wheel arch goes considerably inside that of the quarter panel. Both quarters are new and the wheel arches are original. I know these are hand built, but over an inch difference from side to side seems a bit much.

Does anyone have a picture of a good wheel arch alone or with the quarter off?

Does anyone have a TR2 or 3 near Englewood FL that I could look at?

Does anyplace make replacement wheel arch flanges?

I'm thinking I'll probably have to take the quarters off to fix the arches. Luckily they are barely welded oneye rolling smiley

In-spite of the horrors I have uncovered and having to take many steps back before actually starting forward, I love the journey! Anyway, back steps are really the first steps forward, right?
Thanks,
Leon

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0073.jpg    36 KB
IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg    45.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0179.jpg    35.5 KB
charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
You say that the quarter panels are new, correct. I bought a set from TRF and with them came a disclaimer that said these panels are not true. They were very correct. Now as to your problem. Have you put the fender up against that quarter panel. You have three pieces that need to fit together. So which two of the three fit together? Or do any of them even come close?
Of the two quarter panels that I got I only used the bottom 5-6". I noticed that the upper arch portion of the new panels were very different from original.
Remember that the only arch that will be visible on the finished car will be the one on the top of the fender.
I would trust the original inner wheel arch the most followed by the fender next and the new quarter panel least.
Charley

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B "Beatrice"
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
Deleting entry.. Apologies for hijacking

Cheers
Joe Otero
1963 TR3B TCF 1227 - Beatrice

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 12:39 PM by JoeOtero.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
In reply to # 1595197 by LeGrande It's amazing what you uncover when you start digging into another persons project. Anyway, what I need help with has to do with the third photo. On one side the radius of the wheel arch matches, pretty close, the radius of the quarter panel. On the right side shown, the radius of the wheel arch goes considerably inside that of the quarter panel. Both quarters are new and the wheel arches are original. I know these are hand built, but over an inch difference from side to side seems a bit much.

Does anyone have a picture of a good wheel arch alone or with the quarter off?

Does anyone have a TR2 or 3 near Englewood FL that I could look at?

Does anyplace make replacement wheel arch flanges?

I'm thinking I'll probably have to take the quarters off to fix the arches. Luckily they are barely welded oneye rolling smiley

In-spite of the horrors I have uncovered and having to take many steps back before actually starting forward, I love the journey! Anyway, back steps are really the first steps forward, right?
Thanks,
Leon

hey Leon,

Unless you can get that wheel arch flange from a donor it will need to be repaired... I have the same situation.. Among the many videos he has shared, Chef Tush, has one where he had done the repair..

Cheers
Joe O

Are you able to secure with a few bolts? Have to make sure that front edge is seated.. From the pics it looks like these are quarters that were on the car.. so, should go back reasonable aligned.. No? oops.. I now see you did mention your quarters are new..

Deleting portions.. Apologies for hijacking..

Cheers
Joe O

Cheers
Joe Otero

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 12:41 PM by JoeOtero.

Redding, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
In reply to # 1595387 by JoeOtero Also, does anyone know if the sills are supposed to be boxed in on the end? Mine are open..

Cheers
Joe O

Joe,
The rear of the sill is open when you put it on the car, but is then covered by and welded to the bottom portion of the inner fender. Or better stated the inner fender is spot welded to the sill using those wide flanges on the rear of the sill.
I will say again that you should be sure to fit the outer fender to that arch as a part of making a determination of what is correct.
Charley

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
Deleted.. apologies for hijacking...

Cheers
Joe Otero

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 12:42 PM by JoeOtero.

Redding, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
Joe,
In your last photos the quarter panel does not need to be parallel with the bottom of the sill.
The passenger side at the end of the sill looks correct.
On the driver's side I would (yes I am saying it again) fit the outer fender up to the body and see where the bottom of the fender is in relation to the sill and quarter panel. You need the quarter panel and inner fender in position behind so the outer fender can be bolted into position. And you are not going to be able to significantly alter that outer fender and maintain the looks of the car.
Charley

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
Deleted.. apologies for hijacking..

Cheers
Joe Otero

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 12:43 PM by JoeOtero.

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
Leon, it looks like your thread got hi-jacked!!

I'd chime in, but 3 cars at a time has me confused.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
In reply to # 1595557 by CJD Leon, it looks like your thread got hi-jacked!!

I'd chime in, but 3 cars at a time has me confused.

oops... Apologies for hijacking.. In no way would I want to inhibit contributions for Leon.. Charley... If you don't care. please delete any responses to my posts..

Cheers

All good..

Joe O

Cheers
Joe Otero

Englewood, FL, USA   USA
Charley, Thanks for getting it going and for the good info!!
Joe, don't worry about it, I learned from each post!

I watched the video and learned I wish my car was on it's side. I've been tempted to buy a shrinker & stretcher just to play with. I was bummed when he didn't use them. Guess that's what YouTube is for.

first photo: Junction of arch, quarter, sill and floor. Not my chicken poop welds. The quarter ends less than an inch ahead of the sill.(further toward rear axle) Hope it helps!

Second photo: This is my new B pillar. It is missing the mound shaped sheet metal assy. Is that available or do I just fab one?

Leon

Attachments:
IMG_0190.jpg    44.6 KB
IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg    28.7 KB
24KARAT Avatar
24KARAT Platinum Member Bobby Venniro
Clearwater, FL, USA   USA
1959 Triumph TR3 "JUST LIKE ALIMONY"
I just posted 5 pictures for you on the forum.

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
Hey Leon.. LOL.. I thought about it.. and when John mentioned it I thought.. well, how rude of me.. I guess I let my excitement of someone else going though similar work get the best..

Cheers

Joe O

Cheers
Joe Otero

Redding, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
Leon,
In your first picture showing the rear of the sill on the passenger side. My car looked very much like yours when I started. I happen to have a TR4 parts body here and was able to cut out a piece from the rear inner fender of that car to use as a starter. The piece had the flange that goes under the quarter panel but needed some modification , i.e. Cutting, bending and welding to get it to fit. I am sure that there are many folks out there that have the skills to create such a piece but that is not me. I can do simple beds but would not try a complex curved bend like that one. Sorry I don't have any old body parts left here , but that is likely to be your best source other than creating your own piece.
Be sure to check the fit of your rear fender to that new quarter panel before you create a piece to replace the rotted out part.
Good luck.
Charley

Englewood, FL, USA   USA
From everything I learned thru posts & pics, I have decided on a course of action. Please give input!

Since the fender matches nicely with the quarter panel and all the way to the tail light, I am going to leave well enough alone and just fab a new flange to mate with the quarter. Just! Ha I've welded a lot, but all 1/8 and up so I'm sure I'll have a learning curve. Welding videos on UT are a hoot!

This was my first ever thread. It was fun and educational. Maybe next I'll start a journal to document to process!

Thanks to everyone
Later,
Leon

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster