Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR2 & TR3 Forum

What did you do with your TR2/TR3 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JGug1 Avatar
JGug1 Silver Member James Guglielmino
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Actually, Randall, I don't think you really did understand my point. First, part of my calling the car an orphan is emotional. The car was entirely built by Mark. I took a truck filled with Triumph parts to Dayton and he still had to find a tub that could be used. It is like a kitten that has been hand fed from 1 week of age. There is an immense emotional involvement and it is tied to his shop. I have a great shop here in KC, for sure, but why would I pay to have the head pulled when my car didn't have 200 miles on it? It was, in fact, the responsibility of the shop that built the car and he didn't deny that. It was the business of the stupid extra $35.00. that led me to discuss the issue with him. For his part, instead of discussing it, he just said......OK, I'M GOING TO FIX THIS AND PAY FOR THE SHIPPING HERE BUT AFTER THAT I'M DONE WITH YOU. I feel badly, in a way, for Mark because it is likely that his temper has led to the cardiac issues that he has and it would be a shame for our community to lose him.
As for your issue, I would not have eaten that and I would not have junked the car. I had a similar issue with my Mercury Mountaineer transmission. I don't give up.

Yes, our cars are simple and back in the day, I did quite a lot of work on my own TR3. That will probably happen again.
The main reason I posted the story is because there are a lot of people where who may consider using Mark for work. AND....I strongly recommend him. Just be sure you have a clear
understanding with him of what is your responsibility and what is his.
Thanks for your response.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
YES, that is my TR3 head on the table and that is David who was lapping the valves and installing them in the head. The combustion chambers have been measured and made exactly the same volume. The head will go onto the engine in short order and then, we move forward. I have an entirely new and beautiful interior. The gauges have all been brought to better than new. The car is coming together.

Attachments:
IMG_0920.jpg    53 KB
IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_7138.jpeg    43.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Like the color combo

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Thank you. When we were prepping the wire wheels they were both liked and disliked. Frankly, I probably prefer stainless steel wire wheels but my restoration guy was hot to do black. Here's the interior:

Attachments:
Interior TR3.JPG    34.9 KB
Interior TR3.JPG

TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Looking Good,

Are they leather or a fabric?

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
They are leather. The piping isn't leather but the seats are. Same thing for my TR4.
J

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B "Beatrice"
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
Feeling like a kid at Christmas - Sheet metal arrived this week!

Cheers
Joe Otero
1963 TR3B TCF 1227 - Beatrice

Attachments:
20190127_174103.jpg    39.3 KB
20190127_174103.jpg

20190127_181511.jpg    17.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
I hope you are very good at welding or have a LOT of money to put into it.:-)
J

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B "Beatrice"
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
LOL.... not an expert welder... but lots of persistence has paid off in the past for me... And if need be.. there's always plan B (pay someone to finish) or C (sell as is - and yeah .. things would have to be really bad for this to happen.. :-)

cheers
Joe O

Cheers
Joe Otero
1963 TR3B TCF 1227 - Beatrice

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Please keep us up to date on progress. I'd like to see your work.
I understand completely how you felt when the pieces came back to you.
J

triumphrick Avatar
triumphrick Silver Member Rick Thompson
Masaryktown, FL, USA   USA
Having no welding experience or the equipment, I have found that mobile welders come in very handy

The battery box needed to be cut out and a new one done, and a mobile guy came out and made it right. I didnt think his fee was excessive.

Brought him back for some work on the frame...

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
I have thought about doing exactly that.
Jim

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
Got a bump stop in, and some cleaning/sanding on the other side.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

Attachments:
20190128_155347.jpg    31.3 KB
20190128_155347.jpg

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
Well, 3 steps forward 1 step back. While finishing prepping the passenger side, I went to remove the old bump stop. It was not aligned right. I realized that since I have the springs off the axle is rotated down towards the front. Thus the bump stop I put on yesterday is misaligned.

Oh well, should be able to loosen the wire, rotate, and retighten.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
If that weren't so sad, I'd laugh. You might want to replace the wire rather than loosen it and re-tighten it. It may lose some of its strength from using it again.
Hang in there.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster