Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR2 & TR3 Forum

What did you do with your TR2/TR3 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

redoakboo Dick Vinal
Clermont, , FL, USA   USA
1954 Triumph TR2 "Paddy"
1957 Triumph TR3 "Ruby"
TR-2 TS 3359 LO

I started to put the engine back together, after receiving the long block back from the builder; with a lot of help from many Forum members.redoakboo@yahoo.com members.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JGug1 Avatar
JGug1 Silver Member James Guglielmino
Mission, KS, USA   USA
There has been very little progress on my TR3 for quite some time. The head was sent off to the machine shop. I understand that the shop called today to let my guys know it was ready. We've been working on the TR7 and it is very close to being done. A cruise control has to be added, but not much more. The seats, however, are at the upholstery shop, so they did some assembly work on the TR3.

Attachments:
IMG_0919.jpg    41.1 KB
IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg    41.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0917.jpg    41.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tobyallen Avatar
Tobyallen Michael A
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
My daughter and I took my TR3B out for a quick burn yesterday afternoon. Temperature was a balmy 43degrees Fahrenheit. Froze our asses off!But I’m always amazed at how these quick little jaunts always seem to turn into 3 hour adventures! I’ve got to come up with the proper attire for these cold weather drives. Heater was blazing away pushing out warmish air..... but the top was down. I find if you hold your hand under the heater you can stave off frostbite and snick through the gears comfortably. Maybe I should discover gloves.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
triumphrick Avatar
triumphrick Silver Member Rick Thompson
Masaryktown, FL, USA   USA
Full frame off for the second time, and as I was putting the heater in I gave the fan a quick spin...and all was well...

Get the dash buttoned up and finally power applied.....and the fan made a high pitched whirring noise....and promptly stopped.

Looks like it will be coming out soon, as we will drive this car all year long. Thankfully winters here are mild....

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Heater? What's a heater? smiling smiley

My previous TR3A I believe was delivered new without the optional heater. Had the blanking plates on the firewall and everything.

When my daughter was about 11, we went on a New Year's day run with the club, up into the mountains. I'm not sure what the temperature was up top, but the snow wasn't melting even in the sun. No top (I didn't even own a ragtop) and no sidecurtains. She still talks about that almost 20 years later.

The wife just bought me a new pair of leather driving gloves at Nordstrom. Bit pricey at $60, but the last pair lasted over 10 years and are still serviceable.
A leather coat works well too, much better than most materials at blocking the wind. I also wear a leather cap (tho more to keep the sun out of my eyes than to keep my head warm).

And I still don't have a top, or a heater.

In reply to # 1590875 by Tobyallen My daughter and I took my TR3B out for a quick burn yesterday afternoon. Temperature was a balmy 43degrees Fahrenheit. Froze our asses off!But I’m always amazed at how these quick little jaunts always seem to turn into 3 hour adventures! I’ve got to come up with the proper attire for these cold weather drives. Heater was blazing away pushing out warmish air..... but the top was down. I find if you hold your hand under the heater you can stave off frostbite and snick through the gears comfortably. Maybe I should discover gloves.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
These are great stories. I should add some. I bought my TR3, a '58 model, from a guy in New York. I drove the car back to Hartford, where we lived and it was not only my daily driver, but the only car we had. I usually drove it top down with a tonneau zipped. The heater did fine. Then we relocated to Kansas.......in the middle of January. By that time, we also had a '57 Buick to pull the trailer. The Buick blew a piston in Niles Michigan and had to be left for mechanical work. I had cardboard on the floor of the TR3 to help with the cold. In Niles, when we walked on the snow, it creaked. It was VERY cold but the already beloved TR3 never let us down and I do not remember us being terribly cold driving it. So, the three of us, my wife, my infant child and I continued on to Manhattan, Kansas in the TR3.
You are brave guys. My TR4 is in the garage and not coming out. My TR3 is coming along but will have an after market heater with multiple ducts. I believe I posted a picture of it many months ago.

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
I am so envious of you guys who can write of doing a full "frame off" TWICE. (should it be body off or frame off?). In any case, the work needed to remove the body seems absolutely daunting to me.

Tobyallen Avatar
Tobyallen Michael A
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
Hey James! You twigged a memory. When the snow creaks you KNOW that it’s cold out. Regarding reliability, I’m really happy at just how rock solid my TR has been. These cars truly like to be used. Before I purchased my TR it had sat for many years with very little use. Couldn’t believe how she creeped and groaned on those first few jaunts. Amazing what a grease job does and a bit of maintenance. I remember my 240/z was such an absolute pain in the ass with the SU’s. I could break down , clean , adjust and reassemble those SU’s at the side of the road in ten minutes. Luckily my TR doesn’t seem to have any issues. She’s not let me down yet!

Jeff Givens Jeffery Givens
Leavenworth, KS, USA   USA
Although I did not drive my 1959 TR3a today, it gets driven a lot and long distances. During October 2018, for example, I put a little over 3,800 miles on the car driving from Leavenworth Kansas, to Indianapolis, Cleveland, OH, Wash DC, West Point, NY, Bennington, VT, and then back to Kansas. I participated in two different car shows, two business trips, and the 750 mile Great American Mountain Rally Revival 2018 (GAMRR 2018) that went through parts of NY, VT, MA, & NH. The car broke down on me twice, both times for exactly the same thing - the little white power wire to the coil broke free from the clip due to vibration and me not fixing it right the first time. Each time, it was fixed in about 10 minutes. The reason it took so long to fix, was I had to unload half the trunk to get to my very tiny wiring repair kit, and of course it was raining on the second occasion.

Yes, it did rain on at least a fourth of the trip, and yes, I did get a little wet, the heater worked, and put out enough heat, but always dress appropriately.

I have some short trips planned coming up, but the long one starts in May 2019. I am attending the TRA gathering in Dillard, GA in May, then driving to Savannah, GA, putting my car on a RORO ship, sending it to Belgium. Will pick up the car in Belgium, participate in a 2800 mile European Rally, ship the car back to GA in August, participate in two car shows, and several business trips. Then to the VTR gathering in Dripping Springs, TX and drive back to NY for the GAMRR 2019.

Not bragging, and I am mostly retired, but my old TR has been quite dependable since I purchased it in 1969. Except for the occasional breakdown in odd places (the Baltimore/Washington Tunnel during a rainstorm, on a Friday evening rush hour 20 plus years ago) and almost 400,000 miles on the odometer, it still runs great. Yes, it has had several engine, trans, OD, rear end rebuilds over the years, but not much out of the ordinary. Maintenance is a Team effort consisting of me, The Roadster Factory, Macy's Garage, Moss Motors, Victoria British. VTR, TRA, and our local Kansas City Triumphs, Jesse Prathers Racing, etc. The maintenance is never done on a high mileage old car!!! Join me on the European LBL Rally or the GAMRR 2019. I have the details!! Have a great driving experience!

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Great post, Jeff. With you being so close, we really should do some trips around here together.
I don't think that I told you that Mark Macy kicked me out. This story really does, I think, need telling because he is truly a Triumph guru and is widely respected. The restoration of my car was a lengthy process and Mark got rather angry with me at one point. I had NO idea that an invoice was coming that was so HUGE and I was slow paying it. Time flies. In any case, he called me one day and said that "we need to talk." He said I had too many projects and that I was never going to get my TR4 done. Well, I hung my head but knew damn well, that after the effort and time I had put into it that I WOULD get it done. In any case, I quickly paid him. The car was moved to storage and put in the line for some further time. I don't remember how long it was but after that, it moved ahead without any glitches except when he changed his method of paying. I did a proper pay by email and it bounced. I was charged both by him and by the company. OF COURSE, I had the funds. He said that no one else had had problems, though you shared with me that you had. In any case, from then on, I wrote checks and advised by email, as a rule, that the check was coming. The car was finished. I was beyond excited. It came to my office and I drove it home to my garage. It took me months to get it inspected and licensed because of crappy roads. Finally, I was driving it.....and THEN, the OD stopped working. Mark wasn't much help by email or phone but suggested that you could probably correct the problem in no time. It didn't work out that way, unfortunately. THEN, after I picked it up from Empire Automotive, where Dave had been trouble shooting it, it suddenly had no power.......Back to Empire after trying all kinds of amateur things. It was firing on only THREE. It HAD to go back to Macy's. Mark expected me to pay the freight ($900.) but I prevailed upon him and he offered to pay half. OK, I was with it. The work was done. The engine problem was one of those things that happen. The valves were all new but one was flawed from the factory. They had to pull the head, of course. I have no idea what the OD problem was. Mark didn't trouble himself with any explanation at all. I didn't blame him. They decided to put in a new part on the OD. It cost something like $35.00 and he invoiced me for that. I spoke with him by phone and he blew up. He said, OK, I'm going to fix all of this but then I'm DONE with you.
The OD kind of pops when it is put in. I've asked here and some have reported that is common when they are new but Mark refused to answer my emails or inform me if that was normal or not. I have to conclude that if all goes well, Mark Macy is the guy to do a first class restoration on our cars but if anything goes wrong, he won't discuss and will contentedly kick you out, no matter if you did spend $100,000 with him or not. (Mark told me at one point that the restoration would cost $100,000 and be worth $.50 on the dollar) I have no idea what it actually cost.
So, I'm kind of stuck with a car that is beautiful but is kind of an orphan because the guy who built it seems to lack a bit of integrity. This happened some time ago, as you know. Some are going to object to my hanging out dirty laundry. I have reported this exactly as it happened. If it provides someone some protection for someone......or at least arms him/her for dealing with Mark, it's fine. I have no objection to anyone telling him that I told the story. I don't wish Mark Macy any malice. I think his treatment of me was incredibly shoddy.

Jeff Givens Jeffery Givens
Leavenworth, KS, USA   USA
Jim, Great to hear from you! You really do need to join our KC Triumphs local club and come to some events. We have a tech session at my house on 23 March starting at 0900 hrs, and then a short road trip to Parkville for lunch. Like minded Triumph folks who can answer lots of questions are in our club. They can help!

As you know, I had Macy's Garage perform a complete mechanical rebuild/restoration on my car a few years back. I had the money, but no time to perform the work, so I had them do it. Engine, trans/OD, rear end, carb's and various other items. I brought the car to them in September, and it was ready by early spring. When I picked the car up I drove it around the Dayton area for several hundred miles before heading back to Kansas. Since they did the work, I have put about 26,000 miles on the car and have not had any problems that were a Macy's Garage issue. They did excellent work for me on my car, but are not cheap. Mark Macy is pretty sensitive about prompt payment for work done, as I was when I owned my hydraulic business. So, I do understand some of those issues. Warranty claims caused by suppliers whom your shop uses is a problem that will never go away I am afraid. Macy's did a wonderful job on your car, and is likely one of the most beautiful TR4's I have ever seen as a result. Yes, you had a couple of issues that were eventually taken care of, and it is too bad that you and Mark had a falling out, but your car is a stunning example of what can be done by a high quality repair/restoration center within our hobby. There are not many shops out there who can perform that type of quality work for our hobby that are still in business.

I do hope one day you and Mark can find a way to gain a bit of friendship. In the meantime, we need to go driving in our favorite cars! We cannot and will not change the past, only move forward. Join our local club - I dare you! I will send you a copy of one of our newsletters. I have a very lengthy article coming out this next month (at least I hope they print the whole thing) that I will send to you as well.

triumphrick Avatar
triumphrick Silver Member Rick Thompson
Masaryktown, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1590897 by JGug1 I am so envious of you guys who can write of doing a full "frame off" TWICE. (should it be body off or frame off?). In any case, the work needed to remove the body seems absolutely daunting to me.

These are simple, basic cars that are very easy to work on. All of the work that I did when I first bought the car was done in my single car garage in my house in Tampa. I poured a second driveway to have some room to get the frame out and started on. Back then, I used a Moss motors parts manual...as I found it much more friendly than any of the two manuals I had.

This time around my garage, at 2400 sq feet, is bigger than my house! And there is a lift! All of which helps tremendously, as I am not that keen on sliding under the car nowadays to work...it seems as if I have some vertigo and dont do well working over my head laying on my back..

Forums of all kinds are out there. There was none of this back in the early 80's. Thankfully, I had a neighbor with a running TR3, and he would bring the car over regularly so we could make some comparisons. Having a mounted part in front of me, instead of a picture in a book made a big difference...

The helpfulness of the folks both here and elsewhere make any daunting task seem mundane....everyone has been there once it seems.

Good luck with your car. What is left to be sorted out is relatively small potatoes compared to where it has been and how far along it is now.

Join the local club...get involved with people who truly care about their cars and your car...you might be surprised to see how easy it becomes to get any issues squared away.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1590960 by JGug1 So, I'm kind of stuck with a car that is beautiful but is kind of an orphan because the guy who built it seems to lack a bit of integrity.
I guess I don't understand that attitude. Ok, you're unhappy with the guy that restored it for you, I understand that. But there is nothing keeping you from taking it to someone else, to fix the problems that have arisen. Yes, it will cost more money, but not as much as another car. So write it off as a lesson learned and move on.

Or learn to do at least some of it yourself. It really is pretty easy and historically, "mechanic" was one of those jobs for people who didn't do well with "book learning".

FWIW, a few months ago I junked a car that I was rather fond of; one of the very last American station wagons (95 Buick Roadmaster). After paying more than the car was worth to have the engine professionally rebuilt; it left me stranded on the side of the road twice within 20,000 miles. The first time I had it towed to a shop, that wound up taking several weeks to fix it, while I walked back and forth to a local hotel room every day, and over $2000 (plus hotel bill, etc). They screwed up the repair (multiple times), but I eventually decided to limp back to CA leaving a trail of oil on the ground (2 gallons in 2000 miles, is that bad?). The bill to fix what they screwed up was close to $700 (but my CA mechanic took pity and split it with me). The second time, exact same failure, I was again a long way from home and towing a humongous trailer. So I had it towed to the nearest dealer (some 30 miles away), trailer and all, and traded for a pickup truck with a hitch on it. They gave me $100 for the dead wagon.

Since then, I've discovered that most likely, the entire problem has been that the engine rebuilder left out a .030" hole!

Oh well! Sometimes you get the elevator, and sometimes you get the shaft.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
That is absolutely true. Our cars are simple. Back in the day when I owned my '58 TR3, I got rather competent at pulling the transmission and replacing the clutch as well as some other things. I imagine that I will get some of those skills back and you are right about the help that is available here and elsewhere.

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Thanks, Jeff. I will mark March 23 and make every effort to be there. I don't have any problem with Mark being sensitive about payment. Here's the thing, Jeff: He could have called much sooner and we could have talked about it. Psychologists tell us that what we experience, we will respond or react to in either a healthy manner or an unhealthy one. His was not a disaster and it happened ONCE. I paid him like clock work. I get that people deserve to be paid for what they do. I screwed up. It wasn't much of a screw up.

Mark isn't the kind of person who shakes hands and says, "we're good." He just isn't. When he got mightily pissed, I was just discussing the issue of a stinking $35.00 add on with a guy I had paid something around $100,000. to and had had a bad experience.....I didn't blame him. All he would have had to do was to call me and say that there is a part that we think is OK but to be sure, we'd like to replace it. The cost would be $35.00. BETTER yet, replace it and call and say, Jimmy, it's done. I HATE it that stuff wasn't quite right. We too got screwed because the part was bad from the factory. We've put in one new part on the OD. It retails for $35.00. We are comping it. Jeff, do you have any idea how many times *I* have done that in my business? OK, enough of this. I posted dirty laundry because I felt that others should have the ability to discuss terms with Mr. Macy if they are shopping for a shop. I agree with you. My car is beautiful.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster