TR3A Panel lights

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
The stock system actually works pretty good, if you clean up the inside of the gauges (white paint), replace the cloudy windows, and put in new bulbs. Those old Lucas bulbs grow dimmer over the years; I've got some that just barely glow!

And 99% of my burned out bulbs have turned out to be bad contacts to the bulb holder.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
David Max David Landers
Morpeth, Northumberland, UK   GBR
While you're in there, fiddling about with panel lights, you might consider adding a glove-box light to that circuit. I made ours so that it shines through a little window poked in the side of the cardboard lining. It's on, obviously, whenever the panel lights are on, and is very useful for finding stuff on a dark night.

David Max, TR2

skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 1591123 by TR3driver The stock system actually works pretty good, if you clean up the inside of the gauges (white paint), replace the cloudy windows, and put in new bulbs. Those old Lucas bulbs grow dimmer over the years; I've got some that just barely glow!

Randall, where do you get the bulb windows? These are so much brighter than my tr6 that I want to do those.

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1959 (Registered '60) TR3 TS61635 L

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
I used clear plastic from some kind of food container; don't recall what offhand. But if I do it again, I'm going to do something to soften the light a bit, maybe wipe it with solvent for a bit of a frost effect. The light is actually a bit harsh without the frosting.

Randall

ckeithjordan Avatar
ckeithjordan Gold Member Keith Jordan
Shawnee, KS, USA   USA
You can get .005" white styrene and cut to fit, though it may be too opaque to allow enough light through.

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/plain-opaque-white-polystrene-sheets/products/9009-005-13mm-plain-opaque-white-polystyrene-sheet

I'm sure frosted sheets are available from some model manufacturer.

Keith

1957 TR3 TS20447LO (2017-)
1962 TR3B TCF1183L (1979-1982)
1966 Spitfire 4 Mk.2 (1972-1975)

peerlessgt Avatar
peerlessgt paul milsom
Llanfair Caereinion, powys, UK   GBR
Is this one of those "how many triumph technicians does it take to change a light bulb?" questions? just pull the panel there will be 2 or possibly 3 bare bulbs 12v 3w mes lamps, bare in holders jammed between the guages, thus cleverly lighting 2 guages with one bulb, a child of 5 could do it...... bring me a child of 5..... etc...

peerlessgt Avatar
peerlessgt paul milsom
yeh but 12v mes bulbs LED are hard to find, capless are easy, mbc are easy, but, the all are made with a 'bullseye' globe, so the have a beam. but almost no side illumination. bin there dun that, you'' prob need to change the holders. .and LED's are only negative earth... seriously. some early trs still have pos earth. .

peerlessgt Avatar
peerlessgt paul milsom
think i did reply about the LED lamps. BUT heres a thing the front side/indicator lamp. which is a 5/21 1186 (?) lamp. which nobody sees cos it's all white... you can now get (on ebay) a LED lamp o/s pin dual contact ei 1185 with amber 21w and white 6w . for about $15 a pair, they just fit in the glass dome. but the sidelamps are amazingly bright and the indicators switch off the white when the amber flashes. MAGIC best thing I'v bought in a while. they are marketed at Land Rovers which have the same lamp housing

TR3driver Randall Y
FWIW, Litezupp in the USA sells LED replacements that are specifically positive ground; and also has them to suit some of the more unusual bulb holders (like the rear lamps used on TR3, where the bulb is held at an angle).

I bought some wedge-base LED replacements (for another vehicle) that, although the instructions implied they were polarity sensitive, would in fact work either way.

For the '3 though, I've been dabbling with rolling my own, modifying the lamp with high power LED 'stars' but keeping the stock lens. I particularly wanted to change the center brake lamp, so the license plate light doesn't show red to the rear, and the brake light doesn't show white to the bottom. While putting that together, I decided to also make it flash a few times just after the pedal is moved. This may not be legal in some areas (I'm not quite certain it is legal where I live, but no one has said anything in over 5 years of driving every day). Although I built this for negative ground (my TR3 has been converted), it would be just as easy to assemble it for positive ground. (Note that the incandescent bulb on the right is uprated, some 25% brighter than a standard 1157.)

Randall

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster