Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Clearly you will see from my question that I have not actually looked at the panel or behind it yet.

Last night I drove at night for the first time. The panel light lit up the right side gauges for fuel and Amps. The oil pressure and temp gauges were in the dark. From looking at the Moss diagram it looks to me like

1. the gauges don't have lights in their respective cases
2 I have no idea if there are two lights for the auxiliary gauges or one
3, The Bentley manual says to have a friendly Triumph technician change the bulbs

Since I can't find a Triumph technician anywhere I will ask you guys. Is there two panel lights? Can I reach them from the backside? Do I have to remove the panel from the dash to change them? The car has a heater.

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1959 (Registered '60) TR3 TS61635 L

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
Yes, two lamps illuminate the gauges. Here is a photo swiped from the web:

The brown discs are the back side of lamp fixtures. The 2 upper ones are the generator and turn signal lamps.

The two below those throw light onto the gauge faces thru the 'windows' on the rim of the gauge housings.

How long and skinny are you fingers? A long pair of hemostats might also help. Disconnect the battery first in either case.

Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Aaron,
FYI the original temp and amp gauges located in the bottom part of the dashplate do not have small lamps in them and are illuminated through plastic windows located on the top of the gauges via 2 large screw type bulbs either side of the center of the the dashplate. The oil pressure and fuel gauges found in the lower part of the dashplate have smaller bayonet type bulbs.The heater does pose an interference problem in getting to the backside of the gauges and light sockets but it is not an impossible task (except if you are in your 70/80's and can't bend enough to get under the dash - thankfully I am not there as yet)

Geo's picture makes it look like you will be encountering a neat and tidy wiring arrangement but the truth be told the pics below are likely what you will encounter and you should watch which wires you pull out!.

I would guess that the bulb for the Oil pressure gauge and the larger bulb on the LHS of the dashplate are either burned out/missing from the respective sockets or may have a wiring issue. If you are lucky you may get them to work by simply plugging them into their respective sockets as if they are just hanging loose they will not work without ground from the gauge housing or dashplate socket. The 2 red arrows in last pic indicates the 2 bulbs you will be looking for on the backside of the dash

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 05:14 PM by Jacad.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMGP0672.JPG    44.9 KB
IMGP0672.JPG

IMGP0674.JPG    59.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMGP0675.jpg    57.3 KB
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
All 4 original gauges were illuminated as Geo described; Barry apparently has some non-original gauges (in non-original locations, oil pressure should be top left on LHD cars).

It's been a long time since I had a heater; but I have managed to change those bulbs without removing the heater or panel. And I have fat hands. But it's not easy. You have to kind of feel around for the lamp holder, which feels kind of like a wooden nickel. Pull it straight out of the bracket in the dash, then work it down to where you can unscrew the bulb.

Don't be too surprised if the bulb you get out is OK, those lamp holders frequently don't make good contact in my experience. Some judicious cleaning and bending will usually get them working again, until the next time they don't.

FWIW, the above photos are all of pre-60K cars, yours will probably have "Lucar" connections in several places.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Jacad Avatar
Hum perhaps Randall has been smoking the good stuff ..... I see an oil pressure gauge on the RHS of the backside of the dashboard in my photos (which when dash is flipped over puts it on the LHS) and that Geo posted a picture with 2 non illuminating gauges on the bottom but hey that's just mesmiling smiley

Barry
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-15 09:27 AM by Jacad.

RJCox Avatar
RJCox Ronald Cox
Fredericksburg, VA, USA   USA
The panel, IMHO isn't too terribly difficult to remove, but can frustrate you if you happen to lose the wing-nuts. Bottom two have to come all the way out, but the top two only need to be loosened. Granted, if you have bigger beefier hands it might be a little tight with the heater in place, but no harder than feeling around for the bulb. The bonus would be being able to see it without a flashlight.

I pulled the panel out of my Dad's TR just by reaching up and turning the wing-nuts a few turns after removing the bottom ones completely. My dash was already out when I got the car so I was able to see how it attached. We pulled it to install his new wiring harness, and while we had it out, re-wrinkled the finish on the panel as well. My theory is that they used wing-nuts just for this. Keeps the technicians friendly.

You'll find which ever way works best for you.

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
Most of the time the led contactor on the bulbs wear...so most of the time just reaching back behind the panel and jiggling the mess of wiring will get the bulb working! Of course, there is an equal chance of loosing another bulb when that one starts up?!? But keep at it and you can usually get them all working...for a while...

Also, if that doesn't get it, then I would never remove the panel to fix a bulb...too much trouble with capillaries and such. But then I know where to reach. You may have to pull the panel out the first time to study it...then next time you'll know where to "reach"!

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-15 08:35 AM by CJD.

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1589382 by Jacad The oil pressure and fuel gauges found in the lower part of the dashplate have smaller bayonet type bulbs.

Randall

Jacad Avatar
Ah I see the error now, I mistakenly said that all 4 gauges were on the bottom of the dash panel ..... mea culpa my bad ..... but the pictures posted clearly did show all the gauges in the correct place ... I take back my smoking comment as I thought you were referring to the oil pressure gauge being on the wrong side. Despite the good stuff now being legal throughout kanuckland since mid Oct I can assure you that I have not smoked that stuff since my "yute" so I come by my mixups honestlysmiling smiley

Barry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-15 09:46 AM by Jacad.

TR3driver Randall Y
Me neither. Gave up smoking anything a LONG time ago. I do applaud those absurd laws finally being (partially) repealed; but lots of things are legal without being good ideas in my book.

Your 2nd & 3rd photos also show a lamp inside the fuel gauge, which is not as original. The original gauge had the window, to let in light from the external bulb.

Randall

Jacad Avatar
Yep that one is not the original FG2530/20 and I never found a part number on it but it is fairly close on the face. It does indeed have the bayonet bulb socket. It is what came with the car when I found it. The other 2" gauge which I am not certain of is the ammeter which bears a lucas part number 9D1150 that I cannot seem to reference but looks identical to the 36174A

Barry

Attachments:
BS Fuel.JPG    29.6 KB
BS Fuel.JPG

BS Fuel back side.JPG    27.9 KB
BS AMP.JPG    32.8 KB
BS AMP 9D-1150 Model number.JPG    25.1 KB
skootch13 Avatar
skootch13 Aaron K
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
It's the small things that are the most rewarding sometimes.

1972 Sapphire Blue TR6

1959 (Registered '60) TR3 TS61635 L

Attachments:
20190117_181222.jpg    16.5 KB
20190117_181222.jpg

TR3driver Randall Y
Congratulations!

Randall

MGB777 Avatar
MGB777 Tim Smith
Oregon, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "The "Abbey"
1960 Triumph TR3A "Patch's"
1966 Triumph TR4A
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Little Bro"    & more
on a god day my lights are never that bright no matter how dark it is ,,,,,,, cool smiley

DonP Avatar
DonP Don P
Frankfort, IL, USA   USA
Anyone else thinking of switching to LED Dash Lights?

I know that dim orangish glow of fading Lucas bulbs can be kinda retro and romantic ... when you break down on a back road.

But ... the idea of actually being able to read my gauges and not have to replace the bulbs every time I hit a Chicago pothole is kind of interesting too.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links