Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

T-time Avatar
T-time Barry O
Milton, ON, Canada   CAN
Disassembled the wiper motor to clean out the old grease , lubricate were needed, replace cap wire and install new brushes.

Doing a dry fit before I grease and put back together I've noticed that the connecting rod is bent and has been rubbing on the inside of the cover plate, is this normal?

The new Moss brushes have a flat end and a rippled end, thinking the flat end would go into the arm bracket

and installed the 3 new rubber mounting bushing for the wiper motor, what fun that was ...... hot hot water to soften them up and WD40

Barry
59 TR3A
68 Mustang

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
wiper motor.jpg    37.8 KB
wiper motor.jpg

wiper rod.jpg    29.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Nope, arm should be flat. Looks like someone may have tried to force the mechanism or something, I don't think the motor has enough torque to do that.

I'm not certain, but I think maybe the "rippled" end is supposed to go towards the commutator, to help them wear in faster.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Arm should be flat, looks like someone took a screwdriver to it to lift the end to get the pin to slide into the wiper cable.

As for the carbon brush, I believe Randall is correct about the ripple side contacting the armature. You should also "bed" the brushes meaning that material is removed from the face of the brush so that it takes the rounded shape of the armature. This can be done by wrapping some emery cloth around the armature and rotating it by hand until the brush beds itself with the armature.

An interesting write up on servicing this type of wiper motor https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et217.htm

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links