TR3 speedo

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ot1924 George Martin
Lancaster, KY, USA   USA
Can anyone tell me how to remove the reset cable in order to examine the mechanism? I saw one reference to small screw but I cant find it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
It should have a pin up close to the housing. Once the pin is pulled the reset knob will slide off.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

davem Avatar
davem dave m
vancouver island, BC, Canada   CAN
get out your magnifying glass and a light
- look carefully along the shaft , fairly close to the entrance to the body (very hard to see)

-there s/b an extremely small screw ( you should think watch mechanism sized)
-the slot in the screw is usually stripped or can be easily so prep it first with some rust penetrant and leave for a few hrs and do it again a few times
-use a tiny head screwdriver and tap it with a small hammer gently to help it loosen and re- spray it
-come back next day and try the screw gently but firmly so yu don't strip the head
-try forward and reverse twists as well - sometimes that helps break things loose
-try tapping and spraying until it finally comes loose (hopefully) and then keep gently twisting back and forth and spraying as you remove it

-a lot of times the slot has been destroyed by someone who has not taken the time to do it slowly (sometimes a day or 2)
-i will see if i can find my picture for you and post it here

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ot1924 George Martin
Lancaster, KY, USA   USA
Thanks for the prompt response.
Apparently my speedo is not "standard". It does not have a shaft with a screw.
I have attached 2 pictures. One is from a thread on this forum and the other is of my speedo.
Sorry, apparently I cannot attach a Word file.

6TTR3A Silver Member Frank Conklin
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Gdorge,
Perhaps these attachments will help.
Frank

Attachments:
SMITHS SPEEDO TRIP RESET ARM.pdf    191 KB

Early reset illustration.jpg    48.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ReSet_1.JPG    41.8 KB
ReSet_3.JPG    34.1 KB
ReSet_4.JPG    40.9 KB
ot1924 George Martin
Lancaster, KY, USA   USA
Frank:
Your photos show very clearly how to r&r the reset cable on what is apparently the majority of TR3 speedos.
Unfortunately mine is different.
I have finally been able to attach some explanatory photos.
One is from a post in this forum showing a speedo and tach from an early TR3 the other is my speedo which shows the reset to different than yours. It also shows the damage to the indicator beam socket which I would like to repair or replace.
Thanks for all responses. Any further information would be appreciated
George Martin

Attachments:
Speedo.jpg    44.4 KB
Speedo.jpg

MySpeedo.jpg    45.5 KB
CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
That's the earlier, TR2/3 version of the speedo. By twisting the chrome bezel to align the tabs, you can remove the bezel and glass. Then remove the 2 screws from the back of the case and the entire speedo assembly can be pulled out the front. The reset knob is a spring, and will pull out with the internals. Once that is out, you can easily work on whatever needs repair.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

ot1924 George Martin
Lancaster, KY, USA   USA
Thanks John,
I am a little surprised that my speedo may be for an early car. British Heritage says it was built in 1959 and sold as a 1960.
Perhaps the speedo was replaced before I purchased the car in 1965.

George Martin

Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Here is a neat repro item for anyone missing the trip reset on their speedo https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smiths-Jaeger-Speedometer-Trip-reset-Spring-Type/311685281303?hash=item4891e3f617:g:8vMAAOSwZVlXwcIW Tough part to source if you need one

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594732 by ot1924 Thanks John,
I am a little surprised that my speedo may be for an early car. British Heritage says it was built in 1959 and sold as a 1960.
Perhaps the speedo was replaced before I purchased the car in 1965.

George Martin

I only call yours early compared to Frank's picture, which is a TR4 or later case. All of the TR2/3/3A are like yours, although the reset knob did change a bit over that run.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster