Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tobyallen Avatar
Tobyallen Michael A
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
Interesting info regarding shimming. When I look at my TR3B from the rear she is definitely a bit higher on the passenger side. When I was cleaning and lubricating the hub splines for my wire wheels I discovered that PO had obviously put in new leaf springs. Unfortunately while using a degreaser in the wheel wells it removed the ink on the stickers for the maker of the new leaf springs. I bet I don’t have the shim on the passenger side toveven out the stance of the car. Something I will check on this weekend if time allows. Anyone have a picture of the shims in place?No complaints with my ride or handling. ( but ride is certainly not supple!!LOL)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
F3A88851-8BCD-47FC-90CB-41F19E8440D2.jpeg    32.6 KB
F3A88851-8BCD-47FC-90CB-41F19E8440D2.jpeg

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B "Beatrice"
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
Yeah me too on would like to see the elusive shim... Shim was not a part of my setup... I have no way of checking the tension\stiffness.. so, I guess its a wait and see thing for me.. Plan B is to have my old units (not sure if original) rebuilt or copied if the new units bomb. Interesting there were two part numbers (I guess the shim making the difference).. I guess it was shackled in within the leaves?

Oh what fun...

cheers
Joe O

Cheers
Joe Otero
1963 TR3B TCF 1227 - Beatrice

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Here's a shot of the spacer installed on a spring. As you can see, it's just two pieces of main leaf, just long enough to match the seat on the axle.

And FWIW, here's my ad-hoc setup to measure leaf spring rate.

One of the needle valves doesn't show very well (it's hanging down below the gauge), but there are two of them. One lets air into the cylinder, the other lets it out. By knowing the area of the piston inside, I can calculate force from pressure (shown on the gauge). Not shown is the ruler I used to measure deflection.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1593618 by johnstydo I guess if you find out the rear springs are stiffer and the ride height not acceptable, you could lengthen the shackles a bit to compensate.
I tried that, actually. There isn't enough room under the fenders.

And that would still only correct the ride height, not the double spring rate.

Randall

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B "Beatrice"
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
In reply to # 1593676 by TR3driver Here's a shot of the spacer installed on a spring. As you can see, it's just two pieces of main leaf, just long enough to match the seat on the axle.

And FWIW, here's my ad-hoc setup to measure leaf spring rate.

One of the needle valves doesn't show very well (it's hanging down below the gauge), but there are two of them. One lets air into the cylinder, the other lets it out. By knowing the area of the piston inside, I can calculate force from pressure (shown on the gauge). Not shown is the ruler I used to measure deflection.

WOW! that's some setup Randall! Thanks for the pic of the spacer... Pretty sure my old set does not have it.. But glad I saved them... I almost kicked that set to the curb..

Cheers
Joe O

Cheers
Joe Otero
1963 TR3B TCF 1227 - Beatrice

Tobyallen Avatar
Tobyallen Michael A
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
Thanks for the pictures of the shims Randall. No surprise that it’s very straightforward. That’s the beauty of these cars. Active handling, yaw control, magnetic shock absorbers.... who needs it!

BobTR Robert Suchy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Randall, I'm helping a local club member rebuild a TR3 chassis on a project car he got. On his chassis we noticed that there were two shims on one of the springs and none on the other spring. I was not aware that Triumph added the shims, so thinking some PO had moved the shims for some unknown reason, we put one shim on each spring. We do not know which side of the car the two shims were on since the chassis was all apart when he got it. Is it best to leave one shim on each side, or should we put two shims on only one side; and if yes, which side should they be put on? Thanks!
Bob

TR3driver Randall Y
I'm not sure it makes enough difference to worry about, Bob. The story I heard was that there was some obscure racing class, where the car had to sit level. Earlier cars (like mine) didn't have the shim at all (which would be more or less equivalent to having one on each side).

But if you do want to move them, they both go on the passenger side. Because the spring goes under the axle on these cars (instead of over), adding the shims makes that side sit lower; bringing the car more nearly level with only a driver.

In reply to # 1593731 by BobTR Randall, I'm helping a local club member rebuild a TR3 chassis on a project car he got. On his chassis we noticed that there were two shims on one of the springs and none on the other spring. I was not aware that Triumph added the shims, so thinking some PO had moved the shims for some unknown reason, we put one shim on each spring. We do not know which side of the car the two shims were on since the chassis was all apart when he got it. Is it best to leave one shim on each side, or should we put two shims on only one side; and if yes, which side should they be put on? Thanks!
Bob

Randall

BobTR Robert Suchy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Thanks Randall!
Bob

templebuchanan Silver Member Temple Buchanan
Crescent City, CA, USA   USA
1961 Triumph TR3A "Buck"
Still on rear suspension, New leaf springs and rest of parts in. Short of disaasembly of new springs, wonder if graphite paint, oil as per factory manual, some other lubricant that maybe won't attract dirt? Min need touch up paint from shipping, he nice to give some corrosion resistance. Might keep the old ones for a bit, but doubt I would ever use again.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
Without disassembly dont think graphite paint will help at all.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
For God's sake it's only a TR3, put the damn thing together and see how it sits.

TR3driver Randall Y
I think the most important part is to keep rust from forming inside, where the leaves rub against each other as the suspension moves. To that end, I suspect oil would work best. And the inevitable coating of dirt outside will mostly just help keep the oil inside.

Randall

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster