This topic is about my 1959 Triumph TR3A
TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
Hey chaps- I'm cleaning up a TR3 hard top. I don't see how to remove the stiffening rib that runs across from side to side (the listing rail) the headlining seems to go under it and the rail gets covered separately. I'm afraid to flex it and bend it up. Does it slide rearward? Anyone do this? (Randall?)

Thanks- Kevin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20190125_181626060.jpg    45.4 KB
IMG_20190125_181626060.jpg

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Nope, I haven't. But I'm pretty sure it flexes for both installation and removal.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
Right you are Randall- I slipped a scraper under about a quarter distance from one side (it has a ribbed center) and it sprung up without kinking. Thanks- K

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
christopizza Avatar
christopizza CHRIS S
YOUNGSVILLE, NC, USA   USA
1954 Triumph TR2 "Clarence"
1959 Triumph TR3 "Cheddar"
1963 Triumph TR4 "Photene"
1969 Triumph TR6    & more
I'm going to be repairing a hardtop soon. Rust repairs first and see how it gies from there. please take pics as you go. yours appears to be more complete than mine

Chris

1954 TR2 long door "Clarence"
1963 TR4 German import "Photene"
1969 TR6 - needs a new home "Rusty"
1973 TR6 - needs paint - mechanicals completed "The Pig"

TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
hey Chris- Sure, I'll put up some pics in this thread. I like your Clarence very much! TR4 too. - Kevin

Tobyallen Avatar
Tobyallen Michael A
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
When I purchased my TR3B last spring she came with an aftermarket hardtop, complete with glass and hardware. I sold the hardtop shortly after as, being completely honest with myself, I knew I would never put it on the car. And storage was also a concern. I’m almost embarrassed to say what I let it go for. This was before I discovered the forums. Should of held onto it, and at least found out through the forum members what hardtops are worth. But I know the hardtop went to another enthusiast so I’m hoping it’s good karma.Neededef a bit of a paint touch up and that was about it. Probably would have been an asset if I ever go to sell my TR, but in the meantime I would of cursed it every time I tripped over it or had to move it

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I have the same problem; owned the hard top (a factory steel one) for over 30 years and I've only had it on a car maybe two or three times.

But I came up with a fairly clever (I think) way to store it. Basically 3 hooks that go under the sides and back, plus a rope pulley mounted to the rafters in my garage. Drive the car under it, install each of the hooks, then pull the rope to raise it. My intention was to mount a cleat to the wall to tie the rope off, but it wound up tied around a shelf upright instead smiling smiley

Been hanging there for the 30+ years I've lived in this house. My current TR3 doesn't even have the brackets to mount it (it was originally on my previous TR3A that got wrecked).

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Tobyallen Avatar
Tobyallen Michael A
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
Yes I’ve seen setups like that before. A great way to address the storage and install problem. I’ve also seen special carts for storing and moving the hardtops. Mercedes has one for their pagoda top model. My hope, though, is to eventually put in a four post lift in my 10’ ceiling garage , for storage of my two hobby cars and also ease up the maintenance access.Funny that my wife isn’t seeing the sense in my two hobby cars residing in our two car garage while her brand new Honda Accord sits out in the elements. It’s a bit of a sore point.( but I like my cars better and the garage is MY domain!!!)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster