Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

triumphrick Avatar
triumphrick Silver Member Rick Thompson
Masaryktown, FL, USA   USA
The great thing about this new seal is that there is no machining involved! Several of the earlier ones required the "scrolls" to be machined off the crankshaft, this one does not.

It essentially replaces the aluminum scroll type seal with a new aluminum two piece frame and a split rubber seal. It also includes a mandrel that helps you center the frame of the seal on the two rear bearing caps.

The rubber part of the seal is very far rearward and barely touches the scrolling on the crankshaft.

And dammit it is one part of the rebuild that I failed to take any pics of...!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
triumphrick Avatar
She's home from the painter....now the fun begins.

How many spacers? Was that a fender washer under that pan head screw..??

grinning smiley

Attachments:
dsc00960_ea95b2cae165e83484aadc6336e06a6c1e862633.jpg    59.4 KB
dsc00960_ea95b2cae165e83484aadc6336e06a6c1e862633.jpg

dsc00961_3f467447093647f6be9b4dbc936893e7c5b10ad9.jpg    61.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
Last fall I painted the engine compartment, boot area, underneath, and the tub's interior. I then stored the tub overhead to work on the frame and mechanicals over the winter.

Yesterday I was able to drop the tub back on the frame to begin body part adjustments.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Tub in Air.JPG    69.4 KB
Tub in Air.JPG

Tub on Floor 2.JPG    64 KB
ken qv Gold Member ken roberson
tampa, FL, USA   USA
Took a drive to my buddies house.. fun 120 mile round trip

Attachments:
CE1A4DC6-89E7-4192-9897-DB37661C0BF4.jpeg    62.5 KB
CE1A4DC6-89E7-4192-9897-DB37661C0BF4.jpeg

triumphrick Avatar
Springtime! Time to get our LBC's out and about...

Hope your trip went well.

Still plodding along on the restoration...but lots of slow progress being made

Attachments:
DSC01013.JPG    51.1 KB
DSC01013.JPG

DSC01015.JPG    42.3 KB
DSC01017.JPG    39.4 KB
tampa, FL, USA   USA
Yes, trip was great, she ran like a top.. unlike his... hence the pizza boxeye rolling smiley

Attachments:
52ACD67B-E4D8-40E5-BA12-5F65C690BAAD.jpeg    51.2 KB
52ACD67B-E4D8-40E5-BA12-5F65C690BAAD.jpeg

tampa, FL, USA   USA
I hope your restoration keeps moving forward.

hoyt Avatar
hoyt Gold Member Hoyt Duff
Virginia Beach, VA, USA   USA
My first TR, a 59 TR3 was that color with dark blue interior. I like the treatment of the valve cover!

triumphrick Avatar
Well, I have mixed feelings....it was black, and there is a lot of black going on inside th engine compartment, so I sprayed it with the body color and scraped off the ribs on top for some contrast...

But now that I have seen it for a while, I have decided to paint it with the accent paint I have. The interior is dark blue leather, and I have a matching racing stripe that will run the center of the car...so I have matched that dark blue color and it will be used on the rims as well as the valve cover and maybe the air cleaners....

hoyt Avatar
hoyt Gold Member Hoyt Duff
Virginia Beach, VA, USA   USA
I have always been a fan of body-color wheel rims.

red barn classics Avatar
red barn classics MARK RILEY
Newfield, ME, USA   USA
New member today. Purchased my 60 last fall and just brought it up from storage to the barn for servicing. Literally sitting next to it as I type. Bought it from the original owner, it is an unrestored all original 56k mile example. Ordered and purchased in GB while the owner was working with the RAF. He ordered a LHD since he knew he was bringing back the the USA.

Attachments:
IMG_4025.JPG    53.3 KB
IMG_4025.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG    51.6 KB
IMG_4027.JPG    39.8 KB
ckeithjordan Avatar
ckeithjordan Gold Member Keith Jordan
Shawnee, KS, USA   USA
Welcome to the list Mark, and good for you on the purchase of this car with an interesting history! I was very close to purchasing this car last September/October and spoke several times with the owner, Linda. I was planning to go see the car, along with another at Brit Bits near her home, when I found a 1957 "smallmouth" in Connecticut, which is what I really wanted. I bought it and let Linda know I was going to pass on her car.

I found this car's history very interesting, as Linda's Dad bought it direct from the factory in Coventry, not for himself, but for her Mom! It became their everyday driver. That, plus being very original (save the rocker panels, if I remember correctly), made for a very good purchase.

Again, congratulations on the purchase and the willingness to take care of it and preserve the history. By the way, did you get the Blumels' license plate?

Keith

1957 TR3 TS20447LO (2017-)
1962 TR3B TCF1183L (1979-1982)
1966 Spitfire 4 Mk.2 (1972-1975)

triumphrick Avatar
It is so hard to find an unrestored TR3..so many of these get a respray early in life or lots of changes to make them a personal statement.

When I redi=stripped my car for the first restoration it was BRG...with a coat of red under it and finally some powder blue...the guy that was stripping the car thought the blue was grey primer and told me the car was red....so that was the color it was sprayed when I did the restoration.

It took the advent of the VTR Heritage certificates to learn it's real natural color..

Anyway, congrats on the purchase. Is it running? What is the serial number?

red barn classics Avatar
Newfield, ME, USA   USA
Good morning and thanks for welcoming me here.

The car does run and drive but has not been used regularly for many years.

The serial number is TS78455.

I have just begun researching this car and tr-3's in general. I have/had many different cars and tend to by for emotional reasons over investment or logic. After many years of traditional american Muscle cars I have found myself gravitating towards British sports cars. It started with a 1980 Sptfire that was a perfectly good running/driving car, but I foolishly sold that to fund a Spit-Six project that never really got going, then a quick refurb and flip of a 77 MGB that I enjoyed working on, next a related car, not exactly a sports car nor exactly British, I brought back to life a 24k mile 60 Metropolitan that had been dormant since the 80's. I currently also have an 80 TR7 w/22k miles waiting in storage and am finishing up a restoration of a 1973 Jensen Healey with 37k miles that also hadn't been run since the mid 80's.

I am trying to avoid letting this one slip into "project car purgatory" At some point I want to separate the body from the frame to refurbish the frame and running gear but would like to keep the body, trim and interior as-is, with just cleaning and polishing as I like the "patina"

red barn classics Avatar
Newfield, ME, USA   USA
Good morning and thank you for welcoming me.

I had been looking at the listing for quite a while and eventually couldn't resist looking at the car. I love original one owner cars, and even though it had the rocker replaced and a repaint many years ago the car retains that original look and feel along with the believable patina.

I was sold on the story, I did not get the plate you speak of.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster