Servicing wire wheels and hubs

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594131 by GilsTR I use one of the wood devices that the vendors sell
that has a cutout that fits right over the ears of the
knockoffs. Keeps the chrome ears looking very nice.
Best to tighten while car is jacked up is correct...IMHO.
FWIW, Both Triumph and Dayton (the people who made the original wheels) say to do it with the wheel on the ground.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ckeithjordan Avatar
ckeithjordan Gold Member Keith Jordan
Shawnee, KS, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594134 by TR3driver
In reply to # 1594131 by GilsTR I use one of the wood devices that the vendors sell
that has a cutout that fits right over the ears of the
knockoffs. Keeps the chrome ears looking very nice.
Best to tighten while car is jacked up is correct...IMHO.
FWIW, Both Triumph and Dayton (the people who made the original wheels) say to do it with the wheel on the ground.

It seems all the wheel experts have an opinion. The folks at Hendrix Wire Wheel have this on their website:

Keith

1957 TR3 TS20447LO (2017-)
1962 TR3B TCF1183L (1979-1982)
1966 Spitfire 4 Mk.2 (1972-1975)

Attachments:
ThingsToDo.jpg    36 KB
ThingsToDo.jpg

Tobyallen Avatar
Tobyallen Michael A
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
Yes, as the saying goes, more than one way to skin a cat! Many opinions but all are appreciated! Lead hammer is the route I’m going to take. I’ve got one of those wood creations. Gotta say, not too impressed with it . Came with the car brand new. Used it one session on all four knockoffs and it looks like the craps been beat out of it. Yeah, you won’t mar your knockoffs but I found the strike point on the wood tool is quite far out,so much so that you must be very careful when making your swing that you don’t hit the bodywork!!! That was when I was glad I was using the rubber mallet. Yeah, lead seems to be the way to go.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
I have a long steel handle (about 36" long) that I purchased from Moss 20 odd years ago that fits over the ears and allows for lots of leverage when tightening. I use soft cloths between the metal and the ear to keep from marking up the ears.

I see that moss still sell it but I would check if the one they offer is the correct size for your knock off

Ah here we go, these look like the folks who supply this type of KO wrench https://clarkandclarkinc.com/catalog/detail/the-british-wheel-wrench-for-eared-kos which goes for $50 plus $5 shipping. They do have a caveat (Note: does not fit some of the latest reproduction KO's being sold!).

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 10:20 AM by Jacad.

Attachments:
Knock off lever1.jpg    72.4 KB
Knock off lever1.jpg

Knock off lever.jpg    45.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster