Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3Alex Alexander Boon
Waddinxveen, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Hello everyone,

Somehow I cannot find any photo about the lower door seal. My original seals weren’t there when I bought the car .... is there someone who can show me a picture the it supposed to be installed? There Isa longer lip ar one side. I found a picture in the workshop manual of the upper seal...
Thanks in advance. :-)
Alexander

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-23 02:20 PM by TR3Alex.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Might help?

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

TR3Alex Alexander Boon
Hi Randall,

Wow that’s quick haha.
Is the longer lip on the outside of the car just like the upper seal or is is facing inside?

Your seals are looking much better than mine, I only had the clips, lol...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
As I recall, the tip originally pointed towards the car. The original seals had a skin of firmer rubber, but were very soft in the middle, so they would crush and conform to the body shape. The old seals above eventually took a 'set' though, and what you see is the result. (That's a replacement seal IIRC, but it had been replaced some 25 or 30 years before that photo.)

I've heard others complain that the new seals aren't as soft, and tend to hold the door open too far. Someone posted that a supplier told them the old style seals (with the soft foam in the middle) could no longer be replicated.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
I have bought at least 4 sets of lower door seals...none of which will fit. All the repops are made from stiffer rubber than the originals, and they do not compress enough to close the door without springing the bottom out. I thought I found a set of very soft seals on Ebay for the TR2...no such luck. They were better, but still sprung the door out 3/8”. What I am trying to say is you may want to leave the things out. If you find a set that actually works...please let us know where, as I have been looking for 10 years with no luck! Randall’s pics show how much they have to compress...almost to totally flat...in order to work.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-23 03:30 PM by CJD.

TR3Alex Alexander Boon
Hi Randall,

Thanks! It is a great help to me! Going to put those on this weekend. :-)

John I will let you know, got a set from moss-europe, it’s open in the inside. See screenshot

Alexander

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-23 03:36 PM by TR3Alex.

Attachments:
5CF5FD3C-273A-4082-843E-D4F2A900BC45.jpeg    19.3 KB
5CF5FD3C-273A-4082-843E-D4F2A900BC45.jpeg

TR3Alex Alexander Boon
Ok, just installed the doors with the seals from moss-europe. They fit, but the longer lip facing outward to the door skin. When facing inwards to the car, I couldn’t get the doors closed properly. Now it seems that the seals do their job like supposed to. I hope. The rubbers are open on the inside, so you can press it anywhere you want.

John, the seals fit, and when blowing a lot of wind with the help of a compressor, can’t feel any wind or draft inside the car..... that’s the only way to get it tested right now....

Thanks guys!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 12:21 AM by TR3Alex.

Attachments:
88BBE674-AE22-4B9F-9C0D-4AD085D36AFC.jpeg    16.1 KB
88BBE674-AE22-4B9F-9C0D-4AD085D36AFC.jpeg

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
Interesting...now I have to try reversing the lip! I hope it's that simple...

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Hmmm indeed interesting, I too tried installing the seals years ago and found that closing the door fully was problematic so they were disguarded. Let us know what you discover John.

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

TR3Alex Alexander Boon
Succes John - let us know if it works as good as it works for me! I am very happy the way the door closes the way it does now. It’s just as simple as you describe, just turn it over

Best regards Alexander

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster