JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B "Beatrice"
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
Greetings fellow forum members..

I'm looking to confirm lead would not have been used as part of an install of a quarter panel.. Seems that's what I've run into.. See pics.. In which case I should have just heated that area..

Would appreciate any thoughts..

Cheers
Joe O

Cheers
Joe Otero
1963 TR3B TCF 1227 - Beatrice

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190204_214104.jpg    17.3 KB
20190204_214104.jpg

20190204_214038M.jpg    45.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
retiredtr Avatar
retiredtr dan acri
wellsville, PA, USA   USA
Hi Joe, yes lead was used in that location and at the seam at the top of the wheel well.

Dan

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
In reply to # 1594397 by retiredtr Hi Joe, yes lead was used in that location and at the seam at the top of the wheel well.

Dan

Wow... was not expecting that.. Thanks Dan! Much appreciated..

Cheers
Joe O

Cheers
Joe Otero

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
Hmmm so, lead from a 55+ year old application is likely to be the hazardous variety.. But not enough to be concerned I take it... Won't be grinding it for sure..

Cheers
Joe O

Cheers
Joe Otero

LeGrande Gold Member Leon Daby
Englewood, FL, USA   USA
What do you use to replace lead? I was looking at POR15 epoxy putty. Would that work as a lead replacement?

retiredtr Avatar
retiredtr dan acri
wellsville, PA, USA   USA
I would replace the lead with new lead. Clean the area that requires re-leading down to bear steal, apply a tinning powder or putty, apply heat using propane torch until the whole area is tinned. Using a lead stick and spreading tool fill the area with a thick layer of lead over the tinned area applying heat to both the surface and the lead stick. file and sand as required

Dan

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
For what it’s worth Joe, I had an incredible amount of Lead in my 59.

Cheers,
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
2011 BMW Z4 3.0si
Hey Tush.. I do remember one of your videos where that discovery was shared. Looked to be good old fashioned body work.. That area I had to deal with, as Dan pointed out, would appear to be 55 year old factory fresh stuff... LOL Surprised the heck out of me..

Looking good on the 250!

Cheers
Joe Otero

Cheers
Joe Otero

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
I did a fair amount of lead work on my TR3, mostly where I seam welded pieces together or if the repair was at an edge such as is the case the OP has. Body lead is 30:70 (tin to lead). You'll have a heck of a time using any other formulation. Body lead has a very long temperature range at which is is like putty or peanut butter, which is what you need to spread it without it all running on the floor. Tin the area first or it won't stick properly. Tinning paste or butter is the easiest. Spread it on, heat and melt it and wipe it off while still hot. You'll also need a wooden paddle that is lubricated with sheep tallow to spread the lead. That hot tallow is a smell that you will always remember! The best tools for shaping are vixen files. Do not use sandpaper. The last thing you need floating around is lead dust. The shavings that the vixen files produce are large and are easily cleaned up. With a little practice, leading on vertical surfaces is a walk in the park. smileys with beer

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster