Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RJCox Avatar
RJCox Ronald Cox
Fredericksburg, VA, USA   USA
So I am all over the place in the shop on my two days off. Dad finally pulled his dashboard off and texted me on Monday. I texted him back that I still had the heat gun. So on Tuesday I find that he has taken a wire wheel on an angle grinder (what I had been using to strip the rust and paint of the seat pans) and tried to remove the thin vinylite coating off of his dash, with less than stellar results. Since he was busy with Mom stuff (she works him too hard) I thought that I would strip the dash for him. When I did mine, I got it off in a bunch of large pieces. Not so with his. It looked like someone had painted the dashboard from white to black at one time. It's going to be biscuit tan when we get done. Well, there went an hour and a half of my life, and seat day.

The seats pans got finished but needed a coat of paint and our paint cabinet got a bit cold last week, so I made myself busy with other things. This morning I got couple of cans of rattle can gloss all in one for the pans (the glue needs to stick to something). While I was there I saw the All in One comes in a bright metallic silver, so I grabbed a can. I know it's not chrome, never will be, but I thought I would try it out on one of the steel disc wheels on my TR. At the very least, the original color on the wheel (looks like it was painted with a brush and ran, not to mention some rusty spots) at best a nice silver-ish wheel that looks like new.

I get the wheel clean, and paint a coat, coat the pans, another coat on the wheel, second coat on pans, second coat on wheels. During this time, I start my recover my lower seat. Planned on one whole seat, but my tack strip is toast and dad comes up and tells me he ordered me a kit from TRF, Yay! But I couldn't have gotten a whole seat finished if I wanted to. Replacing springs with foam doesn't come with any instructions, and fought me the whole way. The foam was cut to go on with just batting and I was trying to do the horsehair thing as if it was springs. After six tries, I realize that the cover I am working with was made incorrectly. Yeah, I know, blame the cover, but really, it was stitched off kilter. I checked it with the other (in case there was a right and left). No matter what I did, the back seam on one side wouldn't overlap properly. The other side had a lot of overlap. I might have to stitch that one side closed first. I tabled it for the day and had to run and get the kid from school.

Closing up, I took the tire/wheel down and went to put it back on the car. I noticed one of the studs on the wheel looked wet. Funny, the car has been in the garage since October. Touching it, it felt slick, and had no smell. There was a bit on the back of the wheel as well (never thought to look at the back of the wheel, just the front).

So, where'd this come from and what will I need to do to fix it? The frame and running gear were supposedly all rebuilt, but I couldn't verify that no matter what. I haven't checked the opposite side yet. Could the leak be from the differential? I hope it's just a seal of some sort.

Thanks as always.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
You sure nobody sprayed the nuts to remove them? My studs stay lubricated, so they are always coated.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
Definitely check the back to try to track it down. Besides grease there could be brake fluid.
Charley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
Grease would normally come out the front of the hub by the nut, running down to the studs. I would assume this would be obvious. Brake fluid tends to run down the back plate to the outer edge of the drum. IMHO one wet stud on the outside is not likely a diff or brake leak.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

RJCox Avatar
RJCox Ronald Cox
No brake fluid. Empty system w/o reservoir.

There is a drip line on the back of the wheel, so I'm inclined to believe leak. The amount lends to that theory. I'll clean it up well and monitor it since the car isn't rolling yet.

At least the fluid was clear. When I clean up I'll pull the drum off and hope the shoes aren't saturated with it.

When referring to grease, I think of paste, or thick, not liquid, so is there a liquid grease that flows?

Note: this car hasn't moved from its position since October.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 07:40 PM by RJCox.

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
Your grease gun leaks a liquid like mine, doesn't it? Sitting immobile the grease comes out of suspension in the thick soap. Again, for a grease leak you would have the same drip from the center hub nut down to the wheel if the hub was leaking. If the grease seal was leaking, the leak would go down to the drum, not the outside of the studs.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

RJCox Avatar
RJCox Ronald Cox
Thanks John.

I've not seen a grease leak before (we tend to use lithium grease in my field) that resembled what I saw. I'm kind of in the dark here and don't want to screw it up worse.

Considering my week so far, being prudent is, well prudent.

My bad seat is still bad and despite my prodigious welding skills (not) isn't getting better. The rim around the base has come apart from I'm guessing rust or pounding or both. The more I weld the worse it seems to get. After all that it's still a second passenger seat though and if I plan to show, will need a new frame as well as springs.

So the seat is what it is for now, a learning experience.

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
The seats are a problem. They are made from ultra-thin sheet and really tax your welding skills. Then, to top it off the repros are not currently good at all. Add the thin metal to the corrosion from years of getting caught in rain with the top down and the originals don't survive well. If it gets too bad you may have to check with Marv for a good/fixable seat. I got mine from Steve. They were very rough, but at least fixable.

I was thinking...my TR2 leaked grease from the rear hubs after I put it together. I debated whether to pull the hubs and change the seals again, but decided to give it the old "wait and see". I knew I had rebuilt it correctly, but suspected I went too far adding grease to the bearings. Sure enough, after about 500 miles they quit leaking...leading me to the conclusion that I over-filled the bearings. During the leak, It would run onto the drums and saturate the brake shoes. I would pull the drums, clean out the grease and use carb cleaner to remove the grease from the shoe material until the leak stopped. It never got to the front of the hubs, though, like yours did.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

RJCox Avatar
RJCox Ronald Cox
Well that makes me feel better. Prior to my acquisition I'm sure the car sat for quite a while after the reconstruction. You saw the pics of my frame. Everything in there looks new, or revuilt to like new.

There's even a new u-joint on the drive shaft, though that is standing in the corner.

The welding is going better, though the pans are mostly dented and that one back seam. They are functional and strengthened but pretty ugly. I did leave a good surface to glue the vinyl to, that will probably really make them look so much better.

I'll open it up and see how much grease and if the shoes are saturated. If not, I'll probably pull the shoes off and store them, or tape them over since the wheels are coming off for resurfacing.

PO most likely used too much grease like you said.

andy303 Avatar
andy303 Gold Member Andrew Blackley
Chardon, OH, USA   USA
There are some TR3 parts in the local craigslist, including seat pans. They are pricey, but then the ad has been posted for quite awhile they may deal.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/d/triumph-tr3-misc-parts/6807907713.html

Attachments:
00t0t_bUaCPbBJqBw_600x450.jpg    61.9 KB
00t0t_bUaCPbBJqBw_600x450.jpg

00V0V_dMLc5eBWHg0_600x450.jpg    49.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
RJCox Avatar
RJCox Ronald Cox
I wonder if they would sell them individually.

I only need the fixed one. I'd really want to see them up close, ar at least a bit better pics.

I'll send a message about some pics.

Luckily, I'm not in a rush. Got a hammer and dolly kit from Harbor Freight. 35 bucks before coupon.

Didnt have those when I started that pan. Gonna give it another shot. It can't hurt to try again. Besides, i need to practice before I start my front fenders. Those I can't replace. I do have an extra apron though that needs lots of help.

Lots to practice on.

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Do you have a dog?
J.

RJCox Avatar
RJCox Ronald Cox
Yeah, rescued him a year ago. Couch Beagle

Why di you ask?

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1594896 by RJCox Yeah, rescued him a year ago. Couch Beagle

Why di you ask?

Quote, "Closing up, I took the tire/wheel down and went to put it back on the car. I noticed one of the studs on the wheel looked wet. Funny, the car has been in the garage since October. Touching it, it felt slick, and had no smell. There was a bit on the back of the wheel as well (never thought to look at the back of the wheel, just the front). "

Dog pee doesn't always smell.
John

RJCox Avatar
RJCox Ronald Cox
Doggo doesn't go to the shop. Too noisy.

In the year we've had him he stays on a lead. Being a beagle, he'll run if given a chance.

Ron

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster