AutoShrine Sponsor

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
I tried it the service manual's way, (install shock link to plate, install spring to plate with U bolts, then install front spring bolt....). I could not get the front bolt to go through the spring bushing, too hard to align.

So I installed the link loosely, installed the front spring bolt, then the U bolts to the plate. Muche easier.

I also found it hard to install the u bolts as they need to be squeezed together to fit in the plate. After trying various clamps, etc. I settled on a hose clamp. Are the U bolts supposed to be squeezed to install, or are mine bent?

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
1973 Triumph TR6 "Pearl"
I used a wood clamp to squeeze the u bolts enough to line up with the plate.

Cheers
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

Safari Avatar
Safari Jim C
New Orleans, LA, USA   USA
I think I used a vice to squeeze the u bolt together.

Thanks Jim

1957 TR3
1958 MGA
1976 TR6
1963 Austin Healey BJ7
1967 Mustang GTA
2005 Lotus Elise
2013 MINI Roadster R59

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 06:39 PM by Safari.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
I used safety wire to hold them in a squeezed position until everything was done up.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I stick the U-bolts in the bench vise and squeeze them a bit, until they fit easily through the plate. IIRC, I install the springs onto the pin & shackles first, then use a jack and a block of wood (if necessary) to lift them against the bottom of the axle. Makes it much easier to add the U-bolts (and get them in the right place) and the plate.

For the ones that were too tall, I couldn't get the spring high enough unless I put the block of wood directly on the plate. Here's a photo of that. (Obviously, this shouldn't be necessary with the correct spec springs).

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

templebuchanan Silver Member Temple Buchanan
Crescent City, CA, USA   USA
1961 Triumph TR3A "Buck"
Wondering on that during drivers side spring removal last night. Removed front pin first, rear shackle had tension on it that complicated removal a bit. Jacking under mounting plate did not seem to affect. I like the idea of making sure ubolts line up to plate prior to assembly and then loosely reassembling, which is the way I was taught anyway.

I read a moss bulletin recently somewhere about not torquing down the leaf spring pin and shackle until the tires are back on and the car is back on the ground. Theory i guess is that the pins and bushings should be subjected to dead load to properly torque? Only place I've seen it. Thinking going to be a lot of fun getting a wrench or socket on that, lift not yet in the budget .

Small shop space practical affordable lift designed for these cars subject worthy of a new forum topic for me, if there are any of you out there experienced in metal fabrication I have an idea that I need help a bit with practical design, hoping to get fabricated locally. I've looked at several different lift manufacturer's on line. Decided on one but need it about 2/3 the size.

Excuse my ignorance in advance. Very little local experience or support available locally.

Temple

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
So I did the passenger side, and the procedure in the service manual worked fine. Dont know why the drivers side gave me such fits.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster