Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

doctorgram Avatar
doctorgram Chester Graham
Modesto, CA, USA   USA
OK, Since no one answered my other Q, I would like some advice on what sounds do you like on your exhaust and what are you running?

Thanks in advance

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Bone stock on my TR3B and I like it.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I have two "Cherry Bomb" glasspacks in series, very similar to the original setup except round instead of oval and I think the second one is a few inches longer than stock. I just went to a local muffler shop and told him the previous single glasspack was louder than I would like, so he stuffed in whatever would fit in the space available.

I like the sound, it still sounds like an old sports car without being overly loud or harsh. And especially none of that tinny rattle that seems to be so popular today. Bit of a bass rumble when idling, not what you'd call quiet, but it tones down a lot on the freeway. I can still hear it, but it pretty much blends with the wind noise and other mechanicals, rather than dominating.

Having someone else do the installation was a treat, too. When I think back to all the hours I've spent under the car, cursing and getting rust flakes in my eyes (even with protective goggles on!). His charge for parts was about what the repro equivalents cost from Moss; the mufflers are better quality IMO; and the price included installation. Made an appointment, stopped on my way to work, was on my way in less than 45 minutes.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
A GOOD muffler shop is a real treat

TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
Hey Chester- my 3 had a very old after-market resonator and muffler. I've always had 'roarty' cars ,.. but this one was just too much- the wife would be shouting over it. I put on a single Moss muffler and it's perfect for me.

I've cut open mufflers and gutted them so that I could run a barking but stock (looking) job on my 6 cyl. cars

K

Tobyallen Avatar
Tobyallen Michael A
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada   CAN
I’m running the factory set up( well reproduction of course) 1962 TR3B. I like the sound, but wouldn’t mind if it was a bit more aggressive. But when you modify you risk resonance, the dreaded droning, at certain rpm. Inevitably that droning will occur right a t the rpm you like to cruise at.No way of telling where the resonance will occur until isystem is on the car. Then you are stuck with it. So I guess what I’m saying is my factory set up is very satisfactory. Sounds decent in all ranges. Not worth messing with for that little “sweet spot” of sound with another system.IMHO

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster