AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

doctorgram Avatar
doctorgram Chester Graham
Modesto, CA, USA   USA
So if someone can help me.
I bought this car over 3 years ago and about to finish the complete ground-up restoration and realized that the Vin number on the reg for DMV doesn't match the commission number. It lists the engine number instead as the VIN #.
What should be done about this? I was going to get a new ID plate and have it stamped with the commission number on it.
Thanks in advance

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GilsTR Silver Member Gil Sissons
NoCal, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "The Redhead"
Chester
I have seen several older cars licensed with the exact issue you have.
They have not had a problem as long as DMV can clearly see that
engine number.

Gil. NoCal

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
That is the way it was done in the 1950's. Not an issue unless you change your motor.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
doctorgram Avatar
Modesto, CA, USA   USA
Gil, thanks. And to Johns point what happens if the engine is changed? That's not my problem.

charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
At the risk of telling you to jump into the snake pit (Calif. DMV). You might well consider getting this corrected on the title now. When you are trying to sell the car is a poor time to try to get the title corrected. I had one car title with the wrong commission number and had to visit a CHP office ( with appointment) to get them to inspect the car.
Charley

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594379 by charleyf At the risk of telling you to jump into the snake pit (Calif. DMV). You might well consider getting this corrected on the title now. When you are trying to sell the car is a poor time to try to get the title corrected. I had one car title with the wrong commission number and had to visit a CHP office ( with appointment) to get them to inspect the car.
Charley

This is not a case of a wrong commission number. Engine number is what was used in the 1950's and prior.

If you are registered with engine number, and then change the engine, you will have to file for a new title. I am sure it depends on the state what that envolves.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Before it gets any harder to register a car I would get it corrected now. May be save some headache down the road.
Marv

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
When I bought my 1964 Vespa VNB5T scooter several years ago it was originally registered using the engine number. Easy to correct in Pennsylvania. I needed to have an extra form signed by the local police. They came to my house and verified the engine and serial numbers (now VIN) on the scooter were what I had on the form then signed it off. After I sent the form in to PennDOT they corrected the issue and sent me a title with all the correct info.

Yes as other have said, back in the day our your vehicles were sometime registered using engine numbers rather then the VIN, which was normally called the serial number.

Another issue is year. Some states would register vehicles based on the year it was SOLD and not the model year or as in the case of Triumphs the year of manufacture, so you could have a Triumph TR4 built in late 1964 that sat on the dealers lot for over a year and first sold in 1966 registered as a 1966 Triumph TR4.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Redding, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
John,
Fortunately for you , you do not live in California. Getting California DMV to acknowledge such a thing as you state is like trying to move a rock with ESP. They are better at telling than listening. They are more likely to continue to tell you what they want instead of trying to listen to what you are telling them. They are about the most frustrating agency that I have ever dealt with. The only exception is to find a DMV office in a small town.
Charley

In reply to # 1594438 by CJD
In reply to # 1594379 by charleyf At the risk of telling you to jump into the snake pit (Calif. DMV). You might well consider getting this corrected on the title now. When you are trying to sell the car is a poor time to try to get the title corrected. I had one car title with the wrong commission number and had to visit a CHP office ( with appointment) to get them to inspect the car.
Charley

This is not a case of a wrong commission number. Engine number is what was used in the 1950's and prior.

If you are registered with engine number, and then change the engine, you will have to file for a new title. I am sure it depends on the state what that envolves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 12:00 PM by charleyf.

6TTR3A Silver Member Frank Conklin
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
George,
Charlie is right, the CA DMV can be a frustrating experience.
First, is the year of manufacture correct for your car?
Second, have you removed the Commission plate?
Hopefully, yes to the vintage and no to the Comm.plate removal.
The DMV will go ballistic if they see a new plate on an old car, or
even one that's not riveted on.
The best way to go is to invest in a British Heritage Build Certificate,
one that lists both the Comm. number and the Engine number.
It's a very official looking document which in most cases will leave
a favorable impression on the DMV official. (It worked for me; changing
my 3A from a 1962 to a 1960)
The Wyatt office might work for you or maybe a drive to Sonora.
Frank

fordfiesta Doug T.
Cambria, CA, USA   USA
If your engine is original to the car, then it may help to have a copy of the British Motor Heritage certificate with you when you go to the DMV, as it will help buttress your position that the commission number is the correct one to use.

doctorgram Avatar
Modesto, CA, USA   USA
OK, Just how do I get this certificate? I went to the site and it looks like its more for the public and not for the car enthusiast.
Thanks in advance

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
You can order the build certificate here: https://certificates.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/certificate/

However, I wouldn't expect it to be much help with the DMV.

You can also get a less expensive (and quite a bit less fancy) version from https://vintagetriumphregister.org/trace-certs/

I didn't get a title with my current TR3, and had no trouble getting it titled and registered. Keeping the black plates was more of a problem, they wanted to see proof that the plates had originally been assigned to my car. Fortunately for me, the seller's aunt found an old registration slip in a drawer somewhere (which showed engine number instead of commission number) and they accepted that.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
My 1955 TR2 is registered/titled under engine number. I see no reason to get anything "fixed", as I see nothing wrong. I studied this in detail when I bought the car...and even got a discount when I pointed out to the seller that the title didn't match. What I learned is that titling to engine number was common...not in as a mistake common...as in the way it was done common. I suppose I could file for a change in VIN, and get the DPS to inspect the numbers. I just don't see why I would want to do that. Am I missing something??

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Redding, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
John,
Yes, John it isn't what you are missing it is what you are using--common sense. Our wonderful DMV is prone to jump to the decision that you are a crook and trying to pull a fast one. So the VTR or British Heritage certificate would be needed if one can actually get them to listen.
Also I would guess that the workers at DMV are one or two generations younger than most of us.
Charley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster