AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Changing Odometer
  This topic is about my 1957 Triumph TR3
ckeithjordan Avatar
ckeithjordan Gold Member Keith Jordan
Shawnee, KS, USA   USA
Is there a relatively easy way to change the odometer reading on a Smith's SN6307/-- speedometer? I recently purchased a refurbished one that has been zeroed out and I'd like to set it to the odometer reading on the one I'm replacing. Not that the current reading is probably accurate, but at least it would be consistent.

I've read Rhodes' "Repairing Jaeger & Smiths Speedometers" but I'm not sure that it specifically talks about how to do that.

Keith

1957 TR3 TS20447LO (2017-)
1962 TR3B TCF1183L (1979-1982)
1966 Spitfire 4 Mk.2 (1972-1975)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
The only way I know how that doesnt involve a drill motor and months of spinning is to take it apart. I have done it, and you need to be methodical about disassembly and reassembly to not take it apart too much, just loosen it enough to allow moving each wheel to the desired setting, and not let it come completely apart. Not unrecoverable if you do, just a bit more hassle as I recall.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Although I've not tried it, I think it should be possible to just remove the works from the case, and turn each dial to the setting you want. There is a flat spring for each wheel that you will have to hold down with a jeweler's screwdriver or similar, then you can turn the wheel against the friction clutch.

You can see the springs in this photo. It shows the odometer partially disassembled.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RJCox Avatar
RJCox Ronald Cox
Fredericksburg, VA, USA   USA
CJD has a post on the British Car Forum that details his refurbishment of all the gauges. Very detailed and lots if pics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 03:53 PM by RJCox.

CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594864 by RJCox CJD has a post on the British Car Forum that details his refurbishment of all the gauges. Bery detailed and lots if pics

Yeah...I was going to post, but it's been so long I have to think for a while to bring the details back up...part of getting old I guess!?!
What Randall says is correct. The basic drive assembly must be removed from the speedo, which is not difficult, but does take some studying so you understand how it works. Removing the speedo from the dash is a 5 minute job, then about 10-15 to remove the internals. The hardest part is removing the chrome bezel...sometimes it is locked on, but a little light prying will allow you to twist the bezel until the tabs align to remove it.

Once you have access to the internals, you see the silver (rusted) tabs that hold the digits in position in this pic:

You must lift the tab for the digit you want to change and simply hold it up while you dial in the number you want. Move down the line until you have the mileage you want.

That's illegal mile doctoring 101!

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

RJCox Avatar
RJCox Ronald Cox
Fredericksburg, VA, USA   USA
Your posts should all have stickies on them John, or at least the big 3.

I had to bookmark them on my laptop so I could reference them over and over.

ckeithjordan Avatar
ckeithjordan Gold Member Keith Jordan
Shawnee, KS, USA   USA
Thanks, John (and Randall), that's just the info I needed. I'm waiting for my car to be finished at Macy's Garage, when I get it back, then I'll perform the necessary illegal activity. (Maybe late at night with a light under the car's cover, so no one will be the wiser...)

Keith

1957 TR3 TS20447LO (2017-)
1962 TR3B TCF1183L (1979-1982)
1966 Spitfire 4 Mk.2 (1972-1975)

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1594869 by CJD
In reply to # 1594864 by RJCox CJD has a post on the British Car Forum that details his refurbishment of all the gauges. Bery detailed and lots if pics

Yeah...I was going to post, but it's been so long I have to think for a while to bring the details back up...part of getting old I guess!?!
What Randall says is correct. The basic drive assembly must be removed from the speedo, which is not difficult, but does take some studying so you understand how it works. Removing the speedo from the dash is a 5 minute job, then about 10-15 to remove the internals. The hardest part is removing the chrome bezel...sometimes it is locked on, but a little light prying will allow you to twist the bezel until the tabs align to remove it.

Once you have access to the internals, you see the silver (rusted) tabs that hold the digits in position in this pic:

You must lift the tab for the digit you want to change and simply hold it up while you dial in the number you want. Move down the line until you have the mileage you want.

That's illegal mile doctoring 101!

After seeing the picture I realized that I was thinking about a TR6 odometer.... a different animal

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594869 by CJD ...You must lift the tab for the digit you want to change and simply hold it up while you dial in the number you want. Move down the line until you have the mileage you want...

That's the way... but I seem to recall doing this without taking the unit apart (other than removing it from the case and removing the face). I think I slipped something thin in under the spring tabs.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Yeah, that's why I suggested the jeweler's screwdriver. John showed the trip meter removed from the back plate, but the odometer does not come off that way.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster