Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

michaelo Silver Member Michael Ohalloran
Dayton, md., USA   USA
What is the amp. rating of a factory installed ammeter. thanks Michael

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
Plus and minus 30 amps. It would probably tolerate a little higher for short periods. If you are running an alternator that puts out a lot more than the original generator, you can always shunt the ammeter. That's what I did. I messed with the length and gauge until it read about half.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Ditto.
I've actually pushed 60 amps through two different stock ammeters for a few seconds each time. It didnt damage them instantly, but I could see the pivot was starting to stick.

So I added a shunt. First time was around 1984, that ammeter was still working fine when the car got wrecked in 2005.

Internally, they are just a loop of heavy copper wire. If you run 60 amps through it continuously, it probably will eventually get hot enough to do some damage (like melt the solder joints). But normally, even a big alternator won't charge that hard for long. The voltage drop through the ammeter and wiring tends to limit the rate of charge.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster