Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
I have installed a 10si alternator and I have been investigating fan belts that will work. Looking through the search engine here I have come up with a Gates 24379. I purchased this belt and it is still too small. I have also seen numbers of Gates 28390 and 28400, but I am reluctant to purchase more belts if someone here has used this alternator and has a belt number that will work.

Thanks
Pat

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1588319 by Pat.L I have installed a 10si alternator and I have been investigating fan belts that will work. Looking through the search engine here I have come up with a Gates 24379. I purchased this belt and it is still too small. I have also seen numbers of Gates 28390 and 28400, but I am reluctant to purchase more belts if someone here has used this alternator and has a belt number that will work.

Thanks
Pat

Most flaps will allow you to return unused belts. When I did my conversion what worked for others didn't work for me. So I bought 3 or 4 belts and returned the ones that didn't fit. Check to see what your flaps policy is.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 05:22 PM by brucejon.

miketr362 Avatar
miketr362 Mike Euziere
Cocoa, FL, USA   USA
I am also in the process of looking for a fan belt because of a conversion to alternator. my issue is i didn't convert to the smaller pulleys, and now i can't find a belt wide enough and long enough, ideally i am looking for a 38" by 3/4" (19mm). currently have a 38" by 16MM belt but it squeals something awful. in suggestions on a source?

Mike E.
62 TR3A

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1588319 by Pat.L I have installed a 10si alternator and I have been investigating fan belts that will work. Looking through the search engine here I have come up with a Gates 24379. I purchased this belt and it is still too small. I have also seen numbers of Gates 28390 and 28400, but I am reluctant to purchase more belts if someone here has used this alternator and has a belt number that will work.

Thanks
Pat

I am going to correct this post since the Gates 24379 does fit. At first it did not look to fit at all but in further investigation I did not have the alternator fully positioned toward the block. Also it helped to warm the belt of my garage heater and use a 6 inch pry bar to pull the belt over the pulley. The reason I used this adjustment arm and 10si alternator is I had them from another project that did not work very well. Actually the most difficult part was getting the fan belts between the fan and the radiator. There were times I thought I would need to remove the radiator in order to install a fan belt. Now to figure out the wiring.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

Attachments:
Alternator_GM_Style.JPG    50.7 KB
Alternator_GM_Style.JPG

peerlessgt Avatar
peerlessgt paul milsom
Llanfair Caereinion, powys, UK   GBR
Hi presumably you've done the 1/2" fanbelt conversion. handily the waterpump pullet from the spitfire/gt6 work just leaving the crankshaft pulley. I have done this to my Peerless tr3 engine, and the belt is a v1000 ie 1000mm outside perimeter, hope this helps. otherwise wrap a tape measure round the pulleys, and measure. european belts the number is usually the size. ie, v1000. . if you'e in the states, the belt counter usually has a reference guide with perimeter sizes, etc in it. hope this helps.

andy303 Avatar
andy303 Gold Member Andrew Blackley
Chardon, OH, USA   USA
The conversion sold by Triumph Rescue uses the Gates 24379 with the old style wide pulley. The length needed may depend on the mounting used, i.e. how far the alternator needs to travel on the bracket for correct tension.

Attachments:
978735589.jpg    44.6 KB
978735589.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster