Alloy valve cover from Moss

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gregg in mar vista Stephen Wilkins
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
I'm thinking of buying the alloy valve cover advertised by Moss Motors ( p. A32 in the fall catalog). It shows a small tube exiting the valve cover on the side in the middle. Moss said it has no purpose and some people block it off, some put a filter on it and others just leave it and allow the small amount of fumes to escape under the hood. This sounds wrong. The tube was put there for a reason. I think it has to do with smog control. Any ideas?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
andy303 Avatar
andy303 Gold Member Andrew Blackley
Chardon, OH, USA   USA
I think it is the engine breather. IIRC the alloy covers do not have a vented cap like the stock one ( or like those found on early MGBs). The TR3 uses a draft tube to pull crankcase gases out of the engine and needs a source of make-up air, which is drawn into the engine via the stock cap.The oil gauze inside the stock cap provides a filter of sorts. A small air filter such as those sold by K&N would be a good thing to use on that alloy cover.

Looking at that cover it has the outlet on the right side. It would have better to have it on the left side to plumb it into the air filter(s) like the TR4, or into the back plate of an after market air cleaner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 01:50 PM by andy303.

gregg in mar vista Stephen Wilkins
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Thank you for the information. It makes perfect sense. I will follow-up on the filter. Thanks again.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JOHNMIDAS59 Avatar
JOHNMIDAS59 Silver Member John Barron
Edmond, OK, USA   USA
Here is what has been done to mine! Filter on outlet.

Attachments:
20190129_171349.jpg    58 KB
20190129_171349.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links