The right welder for the job ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I have a 1965 Mustang that I have restored and I put in a 3 point front seat belt harness. I put in seats from a 1992 Mustang, with upholstery that matches the 1965 deluxe interior, because I wanted more support than the stock seats and a higher back of the seat. I have a old set of the seatbelt guides that bolt onto the seats, but they are plastic coated and worn looking. I thought I could get a teacher to let his kids make me a set based on it out of a block of aluminum in the CAD/CAM class this year, but that didn't happen. I need to get the parts back from him. That look sort of like this, but not exactly: I think I can move the belt holding part inward to go more over the screw holes and simplify the design in places.

The coating is REALLY on the part ! I couldn't get it off with a chisel. So, I'm thinking I could weld some steel into the right shape, smooth the edges and have it chromed. But, I don;t have a welder and I'll have to learn how to use it. I was thinking of getting a MIG welder anyway, to learn on for work on a GT6 project, but I'm not sure if it will penetrate deep enough. Since I don't need to worry about sheet metal warp, will a MIG go deep enough to weld short pieces together to make this ?

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
I'll take this as a definite maybe.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
I think people may be hesitant to comment about or encourage fabricating a piece of safety equipment.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
But they will weld frames back together and fabricate A-arms and other really important parts of a car, like a roll cage ?

All this is , is a guide for the seat belt. by all rights, if I had kept things stock, I would just have a lap belt.

The basic question is more about how thick of metal can I get good penetration in, with a MIG welder.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/article-library/buying-your-first-welder-a-practical-informative-guide-for-doityourselfers

See the link above for varying capabilites. You would be better with a 240V

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
John,
It's more difficult to ensure penetration of a weld with MiG than with gas or TiG welding, so for a job like this I'd recommend those.

John

JohnW63 John Williamson
I'll check out the videos in that link.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster