Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Roy Avatar
Roy roy o
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
I got ethanol free fuel for my lawn mowers & filled my van with same fuel . It idles smoother & has more power ! I did try it in my Triumph , but the car diesels now (low octane) . I wish they had high test ethanol free gas !

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
65or66 Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1971 Triumph Stag
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Sometimes gas stations near large lakes will sell a non-ethanol premium, it may depend on how close to a big city you happen to be. Carburetors on older boat motors do not like ethanol at all, and there are still a lot of them around (much to the consternation of the EPA). Just be prepared to pay for it! Not quite as bad as Avgas, but legal.

I always get a tank full for my truck north of Green Bay when I fill up the boat tank on those trips. It likes it a lot more than the 'blended' fuel we have to have near Chicago. A little far for you tho'grinning smiley

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, VA, USA   USA
To locate ethanol-free gas in your area, go to www.pure-gas.org Using the map feature one can ID stations and product available in your area. As Roy points out, high test ethanol free gas is generally not easy to find.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
triumfan Gold Member David Finkelstein
Fernandina Beach, FL, USA   USA
1974 Jensen Healey "Yellow Peril"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Little Red"
If you come south, Gate gas stations offer 89 octane ethanol free gas. Also there are simple methods to remove ethanol from gas. You just have to add water, shake it up, let it sit and separate, then drain off the gas and leave the ethanol behind.

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1522156 by triumfan ... Also there are simple methods to remove ethanol from gas. You just have to add water, shake it up, let it sit and separate, then drain off the gas and leave the ethanol behind.

Of course, the octane rating will drop. If you start out with premium, you'll probably end up with regular. Ethanol by itself has about a 113 RON octane rating.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, ON, Canada   CAN
Here in Canada, normally premium does not contain ethanol.

gfe05111952 Avatar
In reply to # 1525806 by Mark Jones Here in Canada, normally premium does not contain ethanol.

Lucky you! What is used to achieve the higher octane rating if not ethanol?

George
1967 Triumph GT6

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, ON, Canada   CAN
In the past refinery's would produce premium gasoline and regular gasoline and blend to the get the octane of other grades. Now, a refinery will produce premium grade gas and a lower gasoline grade with an octane below regular and then blend and add ethanol to the produce regular and other mid-grades. If you find ethanol in premium grade, then a refinery isn't running it's catalytic former as hard as it used to because they can use ethanol to meet the octane requirements of premium gasoline. Octane is a cheap octane booster.

trjohnnie John Malinick
Mirror Lake, NH, USA   USA
If you have a small airport in you area,try some hi-test aviation fuel. It's pricey but the performance is awesome.

gfe05111952 Avatar
In reply to # 1531692 by trjohnnie If you have a small airport in you area,try some hi-test aviation fuel. It's pricey but the performance is awesome.

Also illegal to use in your car. This can result in a hefty fine http://www.whitfieldoil.com/171.287/racing-gasoline.html

George
1967 Triumph GT6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-08 09:06 PM by gfe05111952.

trjohnnie John Malinick
Mirror Lake, NH, USA   USA
The long arm of the law might not be a heavy handed in some parts of the country.

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1525806 by Mark Jones Here in Canada, normally premium does not contain ethanol.

Maybe it's because you don't grow corn! ;-)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster