Do I want a 77 MGB?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DMG David Gold
Ballwin, MO, USA   USA
I know I am in the wrong forum, but I own triumphs. I've got a buddy offering me a 77 MGB for 1k. I haven't seen it yet, but I know it's licensed and driving. He claims it's rust free and runs and drive great, says it need minor interior work, seat covers etc. I don't know anything about them. Exterior pictures look good. Is it worth checking out? Thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_7197.JPG    46.3 KB
IMG_7197.JPG

IMG_7195.JPG    48.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, CT, USA   USA
It really depends on your opinion of MGBs. There are Triumph owners who like them, and there are those who don't. Sadly there are also a few who disparage them.

I have a Spitfire, a Stag and an MGB, so I have a foot in both camps. My take on the B:

- more of a tourer than the Spitfire though you could probably modify it should you choose and make it more sporting.
- in good shape, more reliable than a Spitfire. B series engines can be long-lived (I got 205,000 miles out of one before rust did the bodywork in), rear axle is very rugged and simple
- for the driving I do, it's more comfortable, partly because it's a bit bigger (especially wider), partly because of monocoque construction vs body on frame
- maintenance about as straightforward. Each vehicle has its jobs you dread, a real annoyance on a B compared to a Spitfire is engine mounts. But generally fairly easy.
- interior components generally available, although not all colours/years.

In the end it depends what you want from a car. Some wouldn't look at a 77 B because of the ride height and rubber bumpers. Let's just say those bumpers can save you some money when you are dealing with today's drivers in stop/go traffic.

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
If it's everything it's claimed to be, then the price is a hell of a bargain for any LBC, let alone a 'B'; if you don't pick it up Skye might have to jump on that one.

Caution should still be applied though - "if it seems to good to be true..."

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobbylrowland bobby l
cochran, ga., USA   USA
I'd buy it and flip it for several times the asking price. Unless I enjoyed it.

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
Then again, perhaps the reason your friend is offering it to you at a such a deal is that he feels that you (as an LBC aficionado) will drive and enjoy the car; i.e., he'd rather sell it like that to someone he feels will actually enjoy the car, rather than sell it quick and cheap to a flipper.

Why sell it cheap to a flipper when he knows full well he could ask it's fair market value and make that profit for himself?

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

DMG David Gold
Ballwin, MO, USA   USA
Alright, I'm going to go take a look at it next week when he's back in town. I'm pretty sure he just wants it out of his garage, he just picked up a 2001 Porsche. He knows I have two other LBC's and said "I just want somebody to have it who's going to appreciate it and actually have some fun with it." Then he said, just come get it, I need it out of here, you can pay me whenever. He's basically making it impossible for me to not take it. My wife's going to be mad, but I can't really see how this isn't going to end up coming home with me at that price.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
After the third one my wife quit believing they just followed me home. ....

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I bought a 77 almost 4 years ago. It was and still is more reliable than my 87 gmc that I replaced. The mgb has taught me a lot, there’s jobs I’d never take on, yet I’ve done them. Top, tonneau cover installs, new forms of trouble shooting. I’d jump on it if it seems good. I drive mine more than the Tr4, and I never thought that would happen. Kyle.

TheLeafySpring Avatar
TheLeafySpring Cameron McNeal
Athens, AL, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil E.D."
1993 Mazda MX-5
mgb's are awesome cars. like others said, it's softer and less sporty than a spitfire. But in return, you get a really solid cruiser that still is fun to throw around and row gears in.
If you drive a spitfire at eight-tenths, you drive a B at six-tenths.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Door looks like it has been changed or tweaked. It's had work done on the left side so I'd check that but otherwise if it's solid and not bent up I'd buy it quick.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster