Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tymnmony Avatar
tymnmony Victor Fleishman
Mississauga, ON, Canada   CAN
I recently ordered a head light switch from Rimmers. Small part , price was right.
I have ordered from them before , with more items in a small bag and always delivered by Royal post.
Paid Rimmers small postage fee , then I received a notice from UPS about my delivery ,with an addition $ 14 broker fee charge.
Honestly, I thought it was a scam. LOL
But NO.
I called Rimmers , they explained how they ship by DHL Express W/wide ,who then gave it to UPS.
It may have something to do with Canada post back log , due to there possible work to rule/ if there are still issues with Canada Post delivery.

Anyways I thought I would bring this to the attention of others.
Not blaming anyone , just wish I would have know, about the additional charge. I was surprised !!
This may all clear up and go back to Royal Post.
So , if ordering on line from Rimmers . Possible else where you may want to send an E Mail asking about any possible additional delivery charges.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LostBoys Avatar
LostBoys Paul Laflamme
St-Lazare, QC, Canada   CAN
Hi Victor,
If you are not already aware, there is a Canadian based parts supplier called Obsolete Auto, the are located near the GTA, they have a monthly flier and website. They carry new and used parts. https://obsoleteauto.com/
Hope this helps.
Paul

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, ON, Canada   CAN
I had something similar happen to me Victor. I placed an order with Rimmer and requested it be sent my Royal Mail. Well, it was sent my UPS and I had to pay fees and HST on the order. I called Rimmer to ask why they didn't follow my request of sending by mail and they said it was cheaper by courier. I thanked them for being considerate of delivery cost but explained how much extra courier cost me in fees and tax. They were very nice and reimbursed me the delivery cost, although it didn't cover the cost of the fees and tax.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
This is one reason I stopped using buying from the U.S. many shipper will only use couriers such as UPS and FedEx.
The 'extra' charges such as brokerage fees and taxes on tose fee can really mount up.

The stinger is, often you get the bill from the courier AFTER you accepted the package!
Often the shipper is totally unaware that they are sticking extra charges to their clients.

Strangely some shippers manage to offer reasonable cost and speedy shipping without incurring these brokerage fees confused smiley

You might think that in theses days of free traid agreements and the huge increase in on line purchases being shipped, rate would be going down, not up?

It also amazes me I can buy a small package item from Asia and get free shipping and no fees whatsoever.

Genoa Bay Eric W
Genoa Bay, BC, Canada   CAN
So if we elect mail delivery our Post Office then dings us 10$ for collecting any duty payable!
So many sites in the USA and UK offer free mainland shipping, lucky for them as it certainly makes it easier to keep them on the road.
I do compare Canadian prices, and have used Obsolete and Drake but sometimes i prefer a certain part from the likes of TRF, TSI, or Goodparts, who will all ship by mail.
I’ve also bought from tdotperformance which are a large Canadian/USA parts distributor which offer free shipping within Canada duty free. They have a surprising selection of parts but I don’t just buy for the Triumph as the Range Rover needs feeding as well.

LostBoys Avatar
LostBoys Paul Laflamme
If you live near the US border as I do, you can set up a post box at a place Kinek or some such company, just over the US border, You have your US based orders shipped there, they hold it for a mere 5$ and then you pick it up within 30 days. The shipping will be less or free because its within the continental US, no brokerage fees as well. When yo cross over in your car you declare what you have and you pay the 5% GST (maybe provincial as well). It really because worth it if you are ordering multiple items, buy some cheap gasoline and maybe a few groceries while you at it to make the trip worthwhile.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Thanks Eric, I will look at local suppliers again. I used Peninsula years ago, but got fed up with stuff being on back order.

I also remember buying a Payen head gasket from Drake.

Don't overlook Rock Auto, sometimes you can be surprised by what they have available. Last year I got a LuK clutch slave cyl for $13 and shipping was very little.

tymnmony Avatar
tymnmony Victor Fleishman
Mississauga, ON, Canada   CAN
Paul
Yes ,I am aware of Obsolete Auto .I have ordered from them many times. They're Great !
But , I also have ordered from Rimmers , again first time I had to pay broker fees. If I new I'd have had to pay an extra $ 14 , I would have bought it from Obsolete Auto or possible elsewhere
It did arrive fast ,but I wasn't asking for fast delivery.
But the question is how does one know that Broker Fees may apply?
I guess by asking the shipper /seller.

Mark
I'll let it be a lesson , I liked Royal Post via Canada Post.
Geez now that I think of it , if I do order from Obsolete , I better ask them also.

The headlamp switch from Rimmers seemed to be the cheapest, that's why I bought it
But in the end it cost me more cool smiley

LostBoys Avatar
LostBoys Paul Laflamme
Victor, I have been burned on those brokerage fees before, If I can't get clear info from the website I try to email the company about their shipping policy and even ask if they are willing to ship via USPS which usually goes through no problem, sometimes it is necessary to pay a sales tax fee.
I am lucky here in the Montreal area we have a Moss dealer that brings in huge inventory and stocks it on his own shelves. I can order from him, I pay the Moss catalogue price (converted to CDN $) and there is no shipping or brokerage fees cause Moss doesn't charge those if you are ordering more than 1000$. So this guy always make sure he orders or a 1000$ worth when buying to restock his shelves and thus passes along the savings to his clients.
I just have to make a 40 minute drive from my house to his place of business to do the pick up.
Maybe there is a Moss dealer near you that does the same.
I know I will hear comments about Moss quality etc etc. But I pick an choose what I order from them. Obsolete gets the balance of my business, frankly its small dollars I am spending for the most part.
Cheers,
Paul

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, ON, Canada   CAN
I use Obsolete, they are only 15 minutes from my house, and I also use Chris Hollum in Dorval for a lot of stuff; I've been a customer of Chris' since 1989.

I opened an account (no cost) with UPS and Fedex, which allows me to bypass the brokerage fee most of the time, or at least pay a lower amount, but UPS does charge $4.50 per line item after the first 5 line items. There is no duty on parts from UK, well, at least until the end of March, just HST.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster