Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, WI, USA   USA
Might look cool, but have you looked at your windshield after a run through the country? Now imagine that on your face. Plus add an occasional rock or two. Personally I'd bow to the safety of a windshield.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
My fellow Spitfire Ace, Jonathan Binnington, built the SuperSix:

The first pic is of me, racing it at Monza - that was fine!

The second was taken by me as we set off on the Club Triumph Ten Countries Run. 10 countries of Europe in 48 hours, round trip; 2000 miles non-stop. That was not OK!
Although we saw the problems and set out in race overalls and full face helmets, with Barbour motorcycle suits for when it rained, it is incredibly tiring driving for hours with the wind howling around you. Deafening too, it actually damages your hearing, as its so noisy. You can't talk to your co-driver - that's why bikers who go long distance with a pillion rider have intercoms. Ours failed after a few hundred.

Great fun, but only short distances.

The car above in Doug's post is "Quasimodo". Built as a replica of the original Macau Spitfire, a one-off racing car, now in the TSSC museum. That cut-down windscreen does nothing to deflect the blast!
John

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 09:03 AM by tapkaJohnD.

Attachments:
SuperSix @ Rettefilo.jpg    52 KB
SuperSix @ Rettefilo.jpg

Ian, partner, Jon and SuperSix at Supercar.jpg    30 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Voda2000 Avatar
Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1601811 by tapkaJohnD My fellow Spitfire Ace, Jonathan Binnington, built the SuperSix:

Cool looking car! Love the rally lights.

1978 Triumph Spitfire

Yes No Thank
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
It is a big decision. I need to plan out how I would remove the wind screen

Yes No Thank
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Not only the windscreen but the dash too, in later models it's got a cover on top of foam.

'S all for now
Vic

Yes No Thank
Gt6s Avatar
Gt6s Laurence Cochrane
Newtownards, UK   GBR
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "2600 EFI"
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "2500"
1976 Triumph Spitfire "Sixfire 2500"
Wouldn't do it. My Sixfire ran without a roof year out, due to the roll bar fitted. Not relevant but now getting a full cage but will still be run less soft top. I ran the car across Scotland once with only moderate discomfort in a real bad thunderstorm. Without a full screen doing so would become PURE HELL !!

Laurence

Yes No Thank
tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
As a thunderstorm in Austria, in a traffic jam, was for us in SuperSix. The depth of water in the footwells got so deep that the best solution was for me as co-driver to prise out the rubber bungs and just let the water flow THROUGH the car!
Here's another pic, ready for the 10CR.
J.

Attachments:
supersix_highrideheight.jpg    21.8 KB
supersix_highrideheight.jpg

Yes No Thank
Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Here is a photo from last October after a drive home from the Pacific coast. Driving on a summer or fall evening usually sounds like rain hitting the windscreen! john

Attachments:
DSC_1396.JPG    43.7 KB
DSC_1396.JPG

+1 Yes No Thank
MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Have to agree with most of the post that removing or even cutting down the windshield is not a good idea. Having owned a clone Lotus 7 for a number of years with a very short windshield to start with the air flow around and over the windshield just beats you up even on short spirited drives. One other thing it lets all sorts of road junk ( sand, gravel, bugs, etc ) into the cockpit which eventually gets into every knook and crevice. It was one of the reasons that I eventually decided to sell the “7” as it just beat you up due to the airflow plus my wife would not ride in it because it would mess up her hair and as she said she always felt like she had a fine layer of grit on her skin after a drive in the “7”. You have to also consider that your face and head is closer to the debris that is thrown up from the road by other vehicles even when you compare were your face and head is in relationship to a motorcycle riders would be while driving down the road.
eye rolling smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

Attachments:
D0A7D22F-02A1-4383-9405-B6C62EFDAD92.jpeg    35 KB
D0A7D22F-02A1-4383-9405-B6C62EFDAD92.jpeg

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster