The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What did you do to your Spitfire or GT6 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cmfisher4 Avatar
cmfisher4 Gold Member Chris Fisher
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Almost starting to look like a car again. A shame I'm going to pull it all back apart again. Of course, next assembly, she'll be red!

Cheers,
Chris

I learn something new every day...especially if I am working on my LBC!
Please visit my blog and website at http://www.roundtailrestoration.com
and my YouTube Channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8LASST0WuNG0-po4hK0Maw

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
IMG_4973.JPG    42.8 KB
IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG    47.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_4978.JPG    38 KB
IMG_4979.JPG    42.7 KB
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
76HiLander Brandon G
Lafayette, IN, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "The 6"
Made more progress cleaning up the heel board in preparation for new passenger floor board. Lots of scab patches welded in during a restoration back in the late 80's. most of the inner sill is out. Need to order some repair pieces for the lower A pillar to repair rust and scab patches up front. At least the driver side doesn't have near as many patches, so looking forward to not having to deal with that is keeping me positive.

Attachments:
Heel Board Clean up.JPG    51.8 KB
Heel Board Clean up.JPG

Yes No Thank
Azoth Shane G
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Got my door strike plates re-plated and installed on the driver door, along with most of the internals except for the window. I had to drill apart and re-rivet the interior door handle since it was missing a rivet. I originally had the handle a little too close to the lock so it couldn't move the latch enough to open the door. In my testing of this, the plastic bushing that connects the handle to the remote control exploded and I had to make do with an older one and some safety wire. Everything is in now and operating smoothly though!

Yes No Thank
SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, TX, USA   USA
These bolts are driving me nuts.
Started the assembly of my 1296 engine and now I'm finding things I should caught early on. During the teardown I was very careful to photograph every piece and bag and tag every collection of nuts and bolts that I removed. Now I'm finding different length bolts in places where they should all be similar. Well today I spent a few hours taking inventory of what I had in each location and compared to what should be in each location. One front bolt missing, about six in the wrong location and a few just the wrong length. At least I now know where I stand and what to shop for.

I guess the DPO said "When in doubt, leave it out?" I wonder where it went, the threads are ok.

Attachments:
72tr190.JPG    47.9 KB
72tr190.JPG

Yes No Thank
SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Silver Member Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2008 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Hi Brandon,

I am not sure how bad the metal around your Radius Arm mounting supports but I thought that I would just caution you (if you don't already know) that those mounting points are very critical for the rear suspension. Mine were very bad on both sides to where the rust-out would allow flex to the Radius Arms. I included some pictures to show before and after; and what I cut out and patched. Excuse the sloppy welds as I had difficulty burning through the so called "Weld through Primer". It was a necessary evil as I did not want any rust behind the Mount.

Also, I assume you braced the door openings. I braced mine and that worked well and as I worked on the floorpans I checked for trueness/ squareness of the body diagonally as I worked. In hindsight, I would "X" brace the area behind the doors from side to side because I had to constantly make sure the body was square as I worked; X bracing may help. I did use 2 x 4s the full length under the jack stands. If using a body rotisserie it would probably be even more important to use the X brace. Maybe the Rotisserie Guys could chime-in on how they kept the twist down if not using an X brace.

Attached are a few pictures from my Archive that may help.

Good Luck,

Doug/SpitMan

In reply to # 1599931 by 76HiLander Made more progress cleaning up the heel board in preparation for new passenger floor board. Lots of scab patches welded in during a restoration back in the late 80's. most of the inner sill is out. Need to order some repair pieces for the lower A pillar to repair rust and scab patches up front. At least the driver side doesn't have near as many patches, so looking forward to not having to deal with that is keeping me positive.

Attachments:
DSC00701.JPG    54.7 KB
DSC00701.JPG

DSC00683.JPG    43.8 KB
DSC00257.JPG    49.4 KB
DSC00114.JPG    52.9 KB
+1 Yes No Thank
  trrdster thanked SpitMan for this post
65or66 Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1971 Triumph Stag
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
well, it's out of the truck. Now what?

Attachments:
20190228_135131.jpg    26.3 KB
20190228_135131.jpg

Yes No Thank
TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Silver Member Jim S
Cumming, GA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
In reply to # 1600075 by 65or66 well, it's out of the truck. Now what?
Bolt it to a stand, crack a beer and start taking it apart. Or are you just swapping and not rebuilding?

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Yes No Thank
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
finally got some decent weather AND some free time (at the same time!!!).
Worked on my front valance, beating out some more dents.
...found a face.
Managed to work most of it out. Gonna try running through my English wheel and see how much more I can improve it. Sorry valance face.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

Yes No Thank
mtnwings Avatar
mtnwings Silver Member Greg B
Ellenville, NY, USA   USA
Snowed again last night, dam, But my manifold adapters came in today so now I can now start to mount and match the 38mm Mikuni carbs to the manifold. very excited. My 4-2-1 header should be here this week. head is in the machine shop, milling to 9.75cr
Greg

Yes No Thank
65or66 Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1971 Triumph Stag
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Hazen, that doesn't look too bad the way it is. That panel takes lots of abuse if the car is driven much. Be interesting to hear what happens in the English wheel. I wish there was a paintable ABS replacement for those. Anybody well-versed in vacuum forming big panels? Kydex might be a better candidate.

Jim S., yes, I'll go through it to see if it warrants using with just a refresh, or if more drastic measures are needed. And then decides where it goes. Only .006" crank end thrust, so at least that part may be ok.

Yes No Thank
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
My wheel helped a little, but I've got a small model and I don't think my anvils are large enough to be effective the way I want---that or I just need to learn more about using it.

Forming an abs one would be an idea, but would take some doing. That would need a large heating element though, and my current setup couldn't handle it. The only person I could think of is Robert Clark, but tooling up would require enough sales to make it worth while.

In reply to # 1600097 by 65or66 Hazen, that doesn't look too bad the way it is. That panel takes lots of abuse if the car is driven much. Be interesting to hear what happens in the English wheel. I wish there was a paintable ABS replacement for those. Anybody well-versed in vacuum forming big panels? Kydex might be a better candidate.

Jim S., yes, I'll go through it to see if it warrants using with just a refresh, or if more drastic measures are needed. And then decides where it goes. Only .006" crank end thrust, so at least that part may be ok.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 11:06 PM by byakk0.

Yes No Thank
Voda2000 Avatar
Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
Minor thing tonight but while I was measuring up for the new air filter setup I discovered an interesting problem with my carbs. I raised both pistons and one fell much quicker than the other.

I know I was carful when I rebuilt them not to mix the dash pots and pistons up. Then I read a comment on a Jag page that mentioned that the previous owner had mixed them up.

I switched the dashpots around and guess what? The pistons fell at the same rate. I guess they came to be switched around.

Moral of the story is never trust that the PO knew what they were doing.

1978 Triumph Spitfire

Yes No Thank
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Rimmers have 15% EBC brake pads so I just bought a set of Green Stuff.

I really like the pads I have been using, but they are getting near the end of their life. I suspect they were some new (very) old stock pads likely containing asbestos.

It will be interesting to see how the Green Stuff compares.

Yes No Thank
1300289427 Avatar
1300289427 Mike Mjd
oxford, oxfordshire, UK   GBR
Just started for 2019 on Daughter's Spit. Pulled chassis out from under tub. Made a tool up to hold the diff flange. That nut is damn tight ! Better weather here now in uk so off we go again !

Attachments:
diff tool 3.JPG    64.3 KB
diff tool 3.JPG

chassis again 2019.JPG    43.1 KB
Yes No Thank
mtnwings Avatar
mtnwings Silver Member Greg B
Ellenville, NY, USA   USA
Yee Haa! My 4-2-1 stainless steel Bell headers came in today! wow! They sure are a thing of beauty. My dual carb set up is almost done. Greg

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster