Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What did you do to your Spitfire or GT6 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ron Avery Avatar
Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594171 by Azoth I restored all of the lenses for the side markers and tail lights today. First I cleaned them up in the ultrasonic cleaner to get all of the dirt and grime out, and they looked pretty good but not fantastic:

I then used a Sylvania headlight restoration kit to sand, polish, and coat the lenses. It took quite a long time to finish, but so far it looks pretty great:

The front turn signals are missing, but that is because I'm going to move from the orange single-piece lenses to clear two-piece lenses so that I can use LED switchback lights. This way I also get daylight running lights out of it.

I also repainted the reflectors from the brake lights using a silver chrome metallic paint

Before:

Wow,you do good work, your light lens's look like new. I performed a similar process with my GT 6, Some times I run them through the dish washer first. I also had a new 1974 Spitfire, loved the looks wished for more power. That car is the reason I got back into Triumphs a few years ago.
After:

Lastly, I've basically completed rebuilding my heater - I need to finish driving the trunnions on before I do the final assembly. Took several tries to get the angles right for those since my pictures weren't good enough.

Ron
1972 GT 6 MK 3
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
triumfan Gold Member David Finkelstein
Fernandina Beach, FL, USA   USA
1974 Jensen Healey "Yellow Peril"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Little Red"
According to my Navy training, nyloc nuts can be used three times. first time on, second time off, third time on.
after that they lose grip and chanes are will fail.

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594242 by triumfan According to my Navy training, nyloc nuts can be used three times. first time on, second time off, third time on.
after that they lose grip and chanes are will fail.

Then there is the old mechanic's trick of smacking the nylon end with a hammer to make it grip again.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1593914 by chipkey101 Today - New steering rack boots and tie rod ends.

Tip: Coat the insides of the boots with silicon spray. It lengthens their life.

GarrettWendt Avatar
GarrettWendt Garrett Wendt
Victor, NY, USA   USA
At 65º F today in Upstate NY...I took 'er for a spin! So fun!

mtnwings Avatar
mtnwings Greg B
Ellenville, NY, USA   USA
Are there any women that own and drive Spitfires?

mtnwings Avatar
mtnwings Greg B
Ellenville, NY, USA   USA
or is this just for old cranky men with nothing better to do? LOL

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1594310 by mtnwings Are there any women that own and drive Spitfires?

I once visited an elderly lady client in my Spitfire, she was very excited to see the car and retrieved from her sideboard a picture of a very nice Spitfire 4 mkII with a very 'hot' young woman in a white bikini standing by it with her hand on the windshield.
Think Angela Andress in the James Bond movie.
My first thought was Ooo she has a hot young granddaughter! But then I noticed the colour of the photo had that odd 'Technicolor'
look??

I think the old lady was enjoying the expression change on my face as I realised the picture was of her and her car @ 64

Attachments:
1724DB51000005DC-2972588-image-m-41_1425065930640.jpg.jpeg    44.7 KB
1724DB51000005DC-2972588-image-m-41_1425065930640.jpg.jpeg

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Aired up the tires (10 lbs down from summer).

Had to add a bit of oil to the carb to kill a dead spot.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
1937 Dodge Magnum "The Dodge"
1947 Unknown Unknown "My Autocar"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Vicki's Little Red Car"
In reply to # 1594310 by mtnwings Are there any women that own and drive Spitfires?

My wife 's name is on the title of ours, and if I behave she lets me drive it. (trust me, I am a good behaver) She has driven it a few times, but is not comfortable with its "finickiness"! (hard starting when hot and gauges that lie put her off) I am working to make it more trustworthy and my hopes are she will be willing to take it out for girl foolishness sometime this coming summer.

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, WI, USA   USA
C'mon Tony, that's Ursula Andress - Dr. No.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Greg, you are hanging around with the wrong crowd, you will find age is only a number, if you live through it.
As for the ladies, lots love their little British cars.
Mine is ready for the Spit6 we are doing and drove a "37 MG TA all through the '70's and got mad when I took it off the road for rebuild and gave her a GT6 which she drove and won all kinds of AutoX events.
She is 76 now and having some ankle problems but will be ready by the time I finish.
The first 57 years together has been great, look forward to the next 57.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Attachments:
Christine01.JPG    12.8 KB
Christine01.JPG

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
1937 Dodge Magnum "The Dodge"
1947 Unknown Unknown "My Autocar"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Vicki's Little Red Car"
In reply to # 1594368 by Greg1835 C'mon Tony, that's Ursula Andress - Dr. No.

Or, when she posed in Playboy, Ursula Undress!

I got another small piece of the puzzle finished tonight. Labels for the dash switches. Not perfect, but the best I can do without taking them to an engraver. $$$$
Going to have to wait until warmer weather to stick them to the dash. (trim adhesive tape)
Alodine treated aluminum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 09:45 PM by Wolfcreek Steve.

Attachments:
IMG_3516.JPG    59 KB
IMG_3516.JPG

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594311 by mtnwings or is this just for old cranky men with nothing better to do? LOL

I'm not cranky.

wickerwomanbj Avatar
wickerwomanbj Beth Johnson
Altamonte Springs, FL, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Itty Bitty Spitty"
Hi Greg,
Not only do we own and drive Spitfires, we work on them too!
My 1st car was a 75 British Racing Green 1500 that trained me on hydraulic systems and my 2nd car was a 78 Spitfire that ran like a dream.
Fast forward 30 years, I'm driving a 78 nearly everyday to work and loving it.
Top down until the rainy season starts again.
Greetings from sunny Florida,
Beth

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster