Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What did you do to your Spitfire or GT6 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Growe58 Avatar
Growe58 Greg Rowe
Hatfield, PA, USA   USA
I drove the 79 to the service station for annual inspection. For the first time ever, I was below the 5000 annual mileage requirement so I didn't have to get an emissions inspection. I found that kind of depressing - between getting a Miata, shoulder surgery and all the rain that we had last year, I drove the Spitfire less than half of the annual miles that I've done since I got my first one in 1980.

My speedometer quit yesterday but I was able to slip through inspection with a promise to get it fixed immediately. The cable isn't turning (and isn't broken) so I'm thinking maybe the right angle device, if I even have one, can't remember. But checking that requires "interiorus demolitious" (Latin for "remove transmission cover" ) and I have an unheated garage so I haven't started yet.

I was out after dark tonight and noticed that my high beam indicator was on all of the time that the parking lights were regardless of whether the high beams or dipped headlights were on. I was going over wiring in my head wondering how that was even possible. I eventually realized that the bulb must've come out of the holder when I was messing with the speedo cable and I was seeing bleed through from the LED backlight illumination.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 08:49 PM by Growe58.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Figured out my gearbox issue and reassembled to top back on. Removed intake manifold to send to F1000 for repair.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

cmfisher4 Avatar
cmfisher4 Gold Member Chris Fisher
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Bulkhead (vertical portion) is in Raptor liner. I also started the second repair attempt on the driver's rear wing. The metal released tension a bit when I cut it, so it's flatter now. Have to weld it back together under a bit of tension to get the bow back in it. I found the same issues when replacing the whole patch and also with the rear valance, so at least it's not unexpected.

Cheers,
Chris

I learn something new every day...especially if I am working on my LBC!
Please visit my blog and website at http://www.roundtailrestoration.com
and my YouTube Channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8LASST0WuNG0-po4hK0Maw

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4934.JPG    34.5 KB
IMG_4934.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG    29.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Azoth Shane G
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
All lights excluding headlights are nearly ready to be installed in the car. I'm waiting on some wire to come in to create an individual ground to each socket in the rear lamps. Also waiting on some bulbs and sockets for the side marker lights, which will use 1157 style bulbs to support turn signal flashing should I choose. All lights will be LED.

I ordered varying types of wire to re-do the entire harness from scratch, following the inspiration of https://www.ccts-inc.com/SPITFIRE/Spitfire%20Electrical.htm - still need to order appropriate connectors.

Lastly, the engine is all boxed up and ready to go to the machine shop on Monday! I'll work with them to come up with a full plan for the engine based on the rough ideas I have right now.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
I hate it for you Chris, but a re do is all we can do sometimes. Really starting to like the undercoating paint, good idea.
Shane, I too went with LED's on the rear and side markers, with turn signals. You have to take the old fixture out and the ones I used needed to be adjusted on the stem to get up to the lens.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Silver Member Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Took Lil' Red Fox on a Cruise with my Triumph Club, CTR. We had breakfast, cruised to Mt. Vernon Va., and ended up at a Brewery! What a day.........lots of show and tell and car talk.....the brew wasn't bad either!smileys with beer

My car was the only Spitfire and you may see an Alpha Romeo in the pix because my Pal's TR6 is under repair.........we allowed it though......LOL!

The second picture is me in "Johnny Cash" black, showing off the engine.

Attachments:
51790066_2353355351344182_7015960302151794688_o.jpg    53.2 KB
51790066_2353355351344182_7015960302151794688_o.jpg

50938120_2353348861344831_5493120436935852032_o.jpg    58.2 KB
51692390_2353351808011203_5373881068078235648_o.jpg    53.4 KB
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Thanks for the pictures Doug. Glad to see everyone out and about.
All those Triumphs on a cold day, must all be in great condition, the club is to be congratulated on getting together.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Hi Wayne,

It was Drive Your Triumph Day and that is a good showing by their club.
cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Silver Member Jim S
Cumming, GA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
Mocked up the new clutch slave cylinder mounting bracket. I am going to have to re-drill the rod to move the lever a little closer to the case as well as bend the arm. This should fit under the doghouse without any modifications.

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Attachments:
IMG_0383.JPG    36.3 KB
IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG    51.3 KB
SpitMan Avatar
I must have missed an earlier post on this..........What are you working on Jim?

In reply to # 1596030 by TriumphFan Mocked up the new clutch slave cylinder mounting bracket. I am going to have to re-drill the rod to move the lever a little closer to the case as well as bend the arm. This should fit under the doghouse without any modifications.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Doug, putting a TR6 Transmission in a Spitfire. He's moving the slave to the top so cutting the frame won't be necessary. Interesting read if you can find it.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Silver Member Jim S
Cumming, GA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
Close. I am putting the TR6 engine and transmission back into my GT6. This time without the frame hacking and awful slave cylinder alignment.

Here's the thread: TR6 transmission in a GT6

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 09:01 AM by TriumphFan.

SpitMan Avatar
Jim and Wayne,

Thanks! I just could not remember what it was you were doing......couldn't find the previous Post on it. Sounds like a very good way to go.

Good luck,

Doug/SpitMan

In reply to # 1596082 by TriumphFan Close. I am putting the TR6 engine and transmission back into my GT6. This time without the frame hacking and awful slave cylinder alignment.

T-Bolt Ted Teddy Bear
Wildmansbeach, South-Carelia, Finland   FIN
Finally got around to pulling engine and gearbox. "All hands on deck" as far as equipment goes, the 344 bringing in some light as an expression of BL comradery. winking smiley

Attachments:
DSC_0147.JPG    40 KB
DSC_0147.JPG

DSC_0152.JPG    32.6 KB
DSC_0154.JPG    35.7 KB
DSC_0156.JPG    44.3 KB
triumfan Gold Member David Finkelstein
Fernandina Beach, FL, USA   USA
1974 Jensen Healey "Yellow Peril"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Little Red"
In reference to the 115 V spotwelder, I use a dedicated 20 amp service and have never popped the breaker. Also, the spotwelder will melt a hole through 3 layers of body panels if you leave it on too long. You have to clamp it with some force to get a good connection.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster