Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

75 triumph firespit Avatar
Earlimart, CA, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Thumper"
The seam on the front fenders of our spitfire I've deleted with some body filler and the windshield trim I've removed also the extra fold of rubber that hold it down round the windshield. We just feel it has a cleaner look instead of an afterthought.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20190204_111217.jpg    11.3 KB
IMG_20190204_111217.jpg

IMG_20190204_111318.jpg    29.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Whats with the mesh in the defroster ducts? Not sure I can see what rubber was removed around the windshield. No stainless/chrome insert in the rubber?
Looking smooth on the fender.
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

Earlimart, CA, USA   USA
The mesh was already in the defroster ducts. We are going to take it off. The chrome trim similar to this one in this picture. Thank you for the compliment on the fender.

In reply to # 1594380 by Yellowhawk Valley Whats with the mesh in the defroster ducts? Not sure I can see what rubber was removed around the windshield. No stainless/chrome insert in the rubber?
Looking smooth on the fender.
da

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 10:54 PM by 75 triumph firespit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1549342005191568716435.jpg    19.4 KB
1549342005191568716435.jpg

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Jerry I applaud your efforts.

A lot of guys think that adding crap to their cars makes them look better, bumper guards, mirrors, luggage racks and similar. Personally I think all that stuff just rips away the great lines that were originally penned by Michelotti. (And don’t get me started on fart cans (even the Monza look is unappealing to me) or wings smiling smiley )

My preference is the minimalist approach, tone down the monster bumpers and de-seaming would be ideal, hopefully I’ll eventually get to those seams one day too. So thumbs up

Unfortunately, the pessimist in me has a gut feeling that after about a month or so of driving, those bondo-filled seams may crack. I really hope not, and that you get back to us with positive results. Also, if anyone else has successfully done such a mod, I’d love to hear about it.

I suspect that the top seams (over the rear wings) when welded and cut before bondo would be fairly durable. Did you weld first or just bondo?

Fingers crossed for you.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Wethersfield, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594407 by Manana Jerry I applaud your efforts.

A lot of guys think that adding crap to their cars makes them look better, bumper guards, mirrors, luggage racks and similar. Personally I think all that stuff just rips away the great lines that were originally penned by Michelotti. (And don’t get me started on fart cans (even the Monza look is unappealing to me) or wings smiling smiley )

My preference is the minimalist approach, tone down the monster bumpers and de-seaming would be ideal, hopefully I’ll eventually get to those seams one day too. So thumbs up

Unfortunately, the pessimist in me has a gut feeling that after about a month or so of driving, those bondo-filled seams may crack. I really hope not, and that you get back to us with positive results. Also, if anyone else has successfully done such a mod, I’d love to hear about it.

I suspect that the top seams (over the rear wings) when welded and cut before bondo would be fairly durable. Did you weld first or just bondo?

Fingers crossed for you.

Definitely weld first.

Mike

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1594458 by Hot Spit
In reply to # 1594407 by Manana Jerry I applaud your efforts.

Fingers crossed for you.

Definitely weld first.

Mike

Yes, I made that mystake years ago. All looked good, then there was a hairline crack, then there was a rust stain around the crack
sad smiley

Earlimart, CA, USA   USA
In reply to both Steve then Mike.....

Thanks to both of you now I know to weld the other seams before applying mud. Stress fractures then becoming cracks was a concern of mine but was hoping and praying that it wouldn't happen, since others have done it and learned from it, I'll always welcome the advice from them. Thanks a mill, would've hated to finish the rest without someone putting in some good caution and advice. Jerry

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Here is a little of my effort, some more if you need it, but look in my Journal.
Check out the painting of the car, turned out great and it's been a while and not cracking yet, but it's still in the finishing stages. But the body has been lifted and placed on the car and mover around a bunch.
Sorry guys picked up the wrong set of pictures.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 09:03 PM by trrdster.

Attachments:
CIMG4687.JPG    43.1 KB
CIMG4687.JPG

CIMG4688.JPG    47.5 KB
CIMG4692.JPG    42.1 KB
CIMG4703.JPG    40.6 KB
zzrg1000 Avatar
zzrg1000 Rob z
surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
Once you are done it will look a lot sexier smiling smiley

Attachments:
IMG_0341.JPG    38.9 KB
IMG_0341.JPG

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You guys are talking about the wrong seam, the OP filled the seam on the bonnet just above the wheels. LOOK AT THE PICTURE!

'S all for now
Vic

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster