AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SU Linkage Conversion
  This topic is about my 1965 Triumph Spitfire
Lagodude Avatar
Lagodude Garry Bayer
Lago Vista, TX, USA   USA
Hi guys,

I am looking to convert my 65 Spitfire SU carb linkage from the original lever linkage to a cable.

Would like to hear from anyone who has done it and would share the procedure and parts used.

I have included a picture of the MKIV Accelerator Bracket, it looks like a possibility.

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

GarryB

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
MKIV accelerator linkage2.jpg    59.3 KB
MKIV accelerator linkage2.jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Hmmm, I would have thought your 65 would have cable operation. The early cars did, it was more direct acting then the mkIV's

Bicycle brake cable is your friend, much better than the original.

http://spitty65.blogspot.com/2011/03/throttle-cable-conversion.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 10:51 AM by Tonyfixit.

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
Exactly what I did on my HS2 setup. They came off of an 1147 engine with mechanical linkage. I found a manifold for my 1300 for them but had to finagle a cable setup. The cable is connected to the carbs with a piece hacked from a ZS carb. You can see it in the photo.

Marty

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Carbs top.jpg    52.6 KB
Carbs top.jpg

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
I’d suggest trying to find a junk yard car to rob the pedal parts off of and that way you can see how it goes through the fire wall. The stock cable bracket for the dual set up can be harder to find, saw just the bracket and linkage go for 50 American dollars on a UKebay auction. Making one as shown above would be the way to go, cost wise.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
I strongly suggest trying to find a 'snail' pulley rather than a simple lever for attaching the cable end to the throttle shaft.

The lever causes angles and side loads on the cable where it exits the sheath ferrule that often leads to wear and breakage.
The pulley maintains a straight angle on the cable, less friction, less binding, smoother throttle operation, less cable breakage.

These are almost universally used on modern cars throttle bodies, and so easy to find donors.
Look on eBay for shiny anodized ones if you prefer.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Can't you just rebush the lever rods? Straighten and align, better than a cable to fray and snap. Or make it stick wide open, right Andy?

'S all for now
Vic

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster