spitfire mk3 soft top

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

wesleyspitfire Wesley Saunders
Cape Town, South Africa   ZAF
I need a soft top frame for a mk3 spitfire, I see plenty of mk4 frames for sale rarely mk3's, but when a mk3 frame apears its four times the price of the mk4 frame? is the mk4 frame completely incompatible with the mk3?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pamela Pamela Davis
Rapid City, SD, USA   USA
I saw this one on eBay: Soft Top on eBay

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1594437 by Pamela I saw this one on eBay: Soft Top on eBay

Usually, the square upper rear corner indicates a MkIV or later car. Mk3 was round.
I do think there are a few out there but the price difference tells the story.
da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tlcgt6 Avatar
tlcgt6 Tommy Cook
Colleyville, TX, USA   USA
1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Banana Hannah"
1972 Triumph GT6 "The T"
are you looking for the frame or the canvas top?
the canvas top is different due to shape of the door windows.
I think the actual frame is the same.
I have a MKIII and a 1500 and both frames appear to be interchangeable.

I may be wrong since I haven't actually tried to fit the 1500 frame to the MKIII.

tommie

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1594472 by tlcgt6 are you looking for the frame or the canvas top?
the canvas top is different due to shape of the door windows.
I think the actual frame is the same.
I have a MKIII and a 1500 and both frames appear to be interchangeable.

I may be wrong since I haven't actually tried to fit the 1500 frame to the MKIII.

tommie

Tommie,
Although the frames may appear to be the same there is some difference. Triumph used different part numbers for the frame assemblies. Looking at the Rimmer Brothers parts listings I also see that there is some difference in the lever type latches. Some parts are interchangeable, but the entire latch isn't.
All the best,
Paul

wesleyspitfire Wesley Saunders
Cape Town, South Africa   ZAF
Yes I need the soft top frame only, I have the canvas part. I'm aware of the different shapes of side glass, but I had a feeling that the frames might be interchangeable between a mk3 and mk4 as the roof shape is much the same, and theres no rigid folding seal on the side windows as in modern cars. So that's my question, has anyone ever used a mk4 frame on a mk3 tub? I'd like to know if the top of the windscreens are the same in terms of curvature, as well as the rear deck, and whether the canvas attachment points of a mk3 canvas hood will be compatible with a mk4 frame? Thanks for the advice so far.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Does this help the discussion?

Looks an awful lot like mine.

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Someday I'll try to do a side-by-side comparison. I suspect the biggest differences are:

1. Early Mk3 top frames had over-center latches to the header rail, similar to TR4A and Herald
2. Other, later Mk3 top frames had the later "bayonet" latches. There were further changes, albeit mostly quite minor, as the 1970 model gained a zip-out rear window.
3. MkIV and 1500 frames look very similar, save for larger plastic pieces clipped on.

I wonder if most of the different part numbers refer to complete assemblies, which would be explained by the above detail changes?

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1594676 by Herald948 Someday I'll try to do a side-by-side comparison. I suspect the biggest differences are:

1. Early Mk3 top frames had over-center latches to the header rail, similar to TR4A and Herald
2. Other, later Mk3 top frames had the later "bayonet" latches. There were further changes, albeit mostly quite minor, as the 1970 model gained a zip-out rear window.
3. MkIV and 1500 frames look very similar, save for larger plastic pieces clipped on.

I wonder if most of the different part numbers refer to complete assemblies, which would be explained by the above detail changes?

Andy,
The different part numbers do refer to complete assemblies, but there was some change to the lever style latches. When I looked at the separate part numbers for those they don't duplicate from Mk3 to MkIV The handle remained the same, but some other part(s) did change. Since most parts are not listed separately it is hard to find out just how extensive the differences might be.
All the best,
Paul

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
The profile is also a bit different. The square tale has a bit of a different arch to allow the bows to clear the tall back seats. A soft tail canvis wont fit a square tail frame - making the round windows a problem. You can use an earlier Mk3 frame, and convert the latches. If you have tall back seats, you will need to lean them forward when taking the frame up and down.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace
2018 jaguar XE

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Quote: If you have tall back seats, you will need to lean them forward when taking the frame up and down.

That was standard process on the late Mk3 with the high-back seats. Not sure what the other differences are with a Mk3 and 4.

da

Dan Aycock
Walla Walla, Wa.
Yellowhawk Valley Spitfires
69, 69, 72, 75, 78, 79 Spitfires

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
In reply to a post by Yellowhawk Valley That was standard process on the late Mk3 with the high-back seats. Not sure what the other differences are with a Mk3 and 4.

My experience as well. I presume square-tailed cars don't need to tip the seats forward to work the softtop? Keep in mind that the high-back seats were, initially, a US regulation; not required on home market cars. With the introduction of the MkIV, everybody got the high-back seats, it was then that the soft top frame would have been redesigned to accomodate all markets.

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

TinDrum Herald Ma
cologne, NRW, Germany   DEU
The Mk3 frame has an additional joint in the rear bow. (the lower parts bends foreward and the upper backwards).
The mk3 also has a smaler cutout in the rear panel over the fuel tank.

The MkIV doesn't have that additional joint, and therefore needs a bigger cutout in the rear panel.

Herald

Attachments:
GRID005973-.jpg    43.5 KB
GRID005973-.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster