Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

14GPDJENGINEERING Avatar
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 1602204 by grumpicus
In reply to # 1602108 by 14GPDJENGINEERING I have one that measures 1.228 inches.

....and I have one which measures 1.234 inches! Both within 0.006" of each other, so maybe a nominal 1.23 inches?

I also measured the width of the raised section which bears against the rear thrust washer, and got 0.093 inches, and its diameter at 3.131 inches. Please see attached images. (The crank is a dark colour due to it being tuftrided, and still needs a little polishing! )

I was in a bit of a rush. I should have ScotchBrighted the rust away.

Dennis smiling smiley

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1602095 by dia i'll give myself a few weeks to see if I can manage locally (local machinist prices are way lower than the US) - doing parts from scratch or repairing is quite a lot of fun. And I am not at my first experience - the Spitfire is a gift for my wife (yes, that generates some pressure! ), my personal ride is a little bulkier :-) and has taken two years to get back into the woods.

Anyway, seems like the measurement I am looking for is not that easy to find, so I will have to revert to old fashioned try-and-error. If the error part wins, your solution will be the only option left on the table.

cheers.

radu

PS hope nobody takes offence in me posting pictures unrelated to the forums main subject.

No offence. Is that a Pinzgauer?

Yes No Thank
grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
No, it's definitely not a repair sleeve!
I bought the engine a few years ago, on the basis it had allegedly covered 80,000 miles, and I was prepared to do a complete overhaul to get it running again. When I stripped it down, I discovered an incredible amount of carbon/oily crud deposits inside the engine, but very little sign of wear. The pistons were original, the bores showed no signs of wear, the honing marks were still clearly visible, and the crank was still on standard size shells! (The original thrust washers were just starting to break up, but zero damage to crank or block.) I checked out the registration plate for the car the engine came from, and realised it had been registered in west London, and the car had only been in use for about 10 years before being taken off the road. I'm now of the opinion that the 80,000 miles recorded was more like 8,000 miles, the car had only been used in traffic in and around London, and had never had an oil change in its life. I had the crank reground -0.010" and tuftrided, and will eventually get the engine back together with new pistons and rings (only because I got a new set for very little money). Maybe I should start a new topic.....slowest 1500 engine rebuild - ever!

Yes No Thank
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I have a crank here that has that flange welded back up after it had suffered the same kind of damage. This was done prior to my ownership. My crank will not use stock sized thrust bearings as they are too wide when the welded crank is put in an undamaged block.

My damaged block has been brazed up to be used with the welded flags crank. From what I’ve seen and experienced with this motor it would seem that you can mix and match whatever clearances and dimensions you need by matching both the crank and block “back” to where it’s usable again but perhaps not back to exact factory dimensions but within factory clearance specs

Yes No Thank
dia Radu Diaconovici
Ghiroda, Timis, Romania   ROM
1973 Pinzgauer - ex Swiss Army, real 4x4 with an 2.4 L air cooled 87 HP gasoline engine, 68.000 km on the odometer. Not many places it can't go :-)

Yes No Thank
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1602353 by dia 1973 Pinzgauer - ex Swiss Army, real 4x4 with an 2.4 L air cooled 87 HP gasoline engine, 68.000 km on the odometer. Not many places it can't go :-)

The man likes swing axels, but the Pinzgauer dosent have joints.

Yes No Thank
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1602401 by Tonyfixit
In reply to # 1602353 by dia 1973 Pinzgauer - ex Swiss Army, real 4x4 with an 2.4 L air cooled 87 HP gasoline engine, 68.000 km on the odometer. Not many places it can't go :-)

The man likes swing axels, but the Pinzgauer dosent have joints.

Tony,
Oh, the Tatra system.
All the best,
Paul

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster