Spit 6 - What frame to use?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

savgun Daniel Schwartz
PEARL RIVER, LA, USA   USA
I am wanting to build a Spit 6 using a 1969 Spitfire body. I have two frames that I can use. The first is a 1970 Spitfire and the other is a 1972 GT6 frame. The GT6 frame needs the crossmember and bonnet hinge support replaced. The 1970 frame is good to go.

Can I use the 1970 frame and suspension (front and rear) or do I need to go to the GT6? Also how about the rear diff?

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Daniel, how much of the GT6 do you have?
I ask because you will need a bit more than the frame.
Check my Journal for some ideas but get a plan and do some research to have a good reliable car.
Oh, the rear on a GT6 standard was a 327 overdrive had a 369 or somewhere close.
You can use the Spitfire rear if you don't have the rotoflex, just use the long axle late setup.
Lots and lots of things to consider.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Use the GT6 frame and all the peripherals. The brakes are larger and will be beneficial in stopping the 6.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
booley Bruce H
Latham, NY, USA   USA
Yeah, you're probably gonna want the larger GT6 brakes. The radiator mounts are different between Spit and GT frames. Sounds like you might want to use the GT's rotoflex setup because your '70 Spit doesn't have the later sliding spring and long axles. Although then you gotta get those brackets for the shock mounts (I think)

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
so many things to consider as mentioned above. like what pieces do you all have? what bonnet do you have(thinking of hinge attachment)? what gt6 suspensions parts do you have front and rear? do you weld and would you feel comfortable fixing a frame rather than swapping gt6 stuff onto spit frame? what will you use the car for?(might sway opinion on what brakes and suspension to go with) I'm sure there are many more questions that I'm not even thinking of.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594647 by arturo64 so many things to consider as mentioned above. like what pieces do you all have? what bonnet do you have(thinking of hinge attachment)? what gt6 suspensions parts do you have front and rear? do you weld and would you feel comfortable fixing a frame rather than swapping gt6 stuff onto spit frame? what will you use the car for?(might sway opinion on what brakes and suspension to go with) I'm sure there are many more questions that I'm not even thinking of.

Ideally the hood (bonnet) and frame from a GT6 should be used together not only for hinge considerations but also the bulge in the GT6 is required.

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
An excellent resource if you are determined to go this route.

Marty

http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit6project/index.html

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
Pretty sure the only difference between those two FRAMES are the front bonnet hinge mounts, so the bonnets will not interchange between the two. Other than that, all the other components will fit just fine..

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
I started collecting parts several years ago to do the same project. One of the differences between the 'frames' of the two are the shock towers/front suspension turrets, specificly where the motor mounts are. The suspension turrets on a GT6 are slightly narrower than on the Spitfire, and if the Spitfire turrets are used to mount the GT6 engine some creative shimming will need to be used. I posted the link to Paul Teglers site which covers the building of a CGT6 with all most of the variables you will encounter. He covers the differences in engine mounts, braking and the bonnet mounts, plus much more.

Marty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 12:27 PM by mkivmarty.

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594685 by tmpass Pretty sure the only difference between those two FRAMES are the front bonnet hinge mounts, so the bonnets will not interchange between the two. Other than that, all the other components will fit just fine..
Either "roundtail" or "squaretail" bonnet will line up just fine with either body; it's only a matter of using the appropriate hinge pivot brackets, bumpers and valences. As to chassis work, I suspect it's not all that difficult to carefully remove the very front crosspiece with hinge pivots and replace with the "correct" one as needed or desired.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1594685 by tmpass Pretty sure the only difference between those two FRAMES are the front bonnet hinge mounts, so the bonnets will not interchange between the two. Other than that, all the other components will fit just fine..

Tim,
There is more than that. As has been pointed out the radiator mount is different. The rear suspension for the GT6 is Rotoflex, so there are wishbone mounts on that frame that aren't on the Spitfire. frame. And along with the rear suspension the hand brake brackets aren't frame mounted on the Rotoflex cars, so they need to be moved from the GT6 shell to the Spitfire body.
As far as bonnets go square tail and round tail bodies and bonnets have been mismatched before. It looks odd to our eyes, but it works.
All the best,
Paul

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Isn’t there a difference in the center section b/w both frames for tans Missouri clearance?

savgun Daniel Schwartz
PEARL RIVER, LA, USA   USA
I have both frames and both suspensions from the Mk 3 Spit and Mk3 GT6. I have the Mk 3 Spit bonnet but have a power bump from the GT6 that I got the frame from. The GT6 bonnet was too far gone to save but the bump was good. I was thinking of moving the turrets from the GT6 to the Spit frame. It would save me time because the crossmember and hinge points need replacing on the GT6. I would love to find a GT6+ bonnet to save me time and maybe a bonnet!

The car will be a cruiser only. I am building a GT6 now and this will be for my wife.

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594726 by Herald948
Either "roundtail" or "squaretail" bonnet will line up just fine with either body; it's only a matter of using the appropriate hinge pivot brackets, bumpers and valences. As to chassis work, I suspect it's not all that difficult to carefully remove the very front crosspiece with hinge pivots and replace with the "correct" one as needed or desired.

The important part is making sure that the distance from the hinge point to some magic place on the frame is maintained. Otherwise, it is going to be very difficult to get the latches and door spacing to line up. Probably the best place to measure that is to the front of the forward outrigger. Measure the original frame you remove that front piece from before you cut and then measure again carefully before welding it to the new frame.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1594786 by spitlist
The important part is making sure that the distance from the hinge point to some magic place on the frame is maintained. Otherwise, it is going to be very difficult to get the latches and door spacing to line up. Probably the best place to measure that is to the front of the forward outrigger. Measure the original frame you remove that front piece from before you cut and then measure again carefully before welding it to the new frame.

Hi,
Diagonal measurements are just as important as ones along the two sides. They help make sure the work is centered and square. Don't neglect the vertical dimensions.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster