Slick 3 rail gearbox extension housing removal method

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I don't know about other gearboxes, but the two I took apart had a real struggle getting the extension off the main shaft. I had to use wedges and hammers to pry it off all the way. When taking it off today, My dad suggested I use a bearing splitter puller. I initially thought that the nose of the extension was too big for that, but it turned out, I could get it clamped behind the last flared bit and put the screw on the end of the main shaft. It came off slick as butter. Not banging or prying needed.

Could be the rest of you are saying, " Well, that's what I always use ! " , but I didn't find any threads talking about it, so I thought I would share. Maybe it will save another gearbox rookie some time. You need the tool to pull the ball race bearings out anyway.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Nice tip John, I might try that. But honestly I don't recall ever having to seriously fight it.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
It could be mine were both gearboxes from derelict cars, but even when I had one together and had to remove the extension a second time, it did not come off the gearbox without some real effort. The shop manual says to remove the bolts and then remove the extension. Piece of cake !

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Azoth Shane G
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
If I have to take mine apart again I'll try that tip - I broke off a small wedge from one of the mount supports last time I was trying to get the extension off (safely welded back in place now).

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster