rear wheel bearings

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1570824 by Hot Spit The Carter Axle conversion is complete. Now to get it on my Spit and pray to the New England weather gods for a few hundred miles of decent weather. I hate putting the tops on the car.

Hope you enjoyed watching the conversion as much as I enjoyed doing it. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

Really really nice work Mike.
You took my half formed notion of how to repair and upgrade these axles, and fleshed out the details and did the work to make it a reality.
Now for the 'proof of the pudding' !!

We are in your debt.
Carter

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Wethersfield, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 1570975 by Tonyfixit Great stuff!

How do you feel about fitting a spacer between the two bearings, so that the whole assembly could be fitted in one go?

I think that variations in all the parts that go together, though small, would add to the time and material needed to come up with a precise spacer as opposed to the method I settled on. Also keep in mind that things will be much different when repairing a damaged axle.

Mike

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
I reluctantly put the hard top on and jacked up the Spit to make the Carterized axle swap. I have some other things to do to the car before I venture out on the road. Hope for some fair weather rides to put a few hundred miles on the axle. We had 14 deg F on thermometer this morning. Happy Thanksgiving Guys and Gals.

Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4230.JPG    47.8 KB
IMG_4230.JPG

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Today was a balmy 47 Deg F in CT. With the new a exhaust (from a Monza to Rimmer's) installed I took the Spit out for the first test run of the Carterized axle. I put almost 100 miles on it and could detect nothing unusual with the conversion. I'll lift the car and take a look just to make sure all is as it should be and weather and time permitting, put another hundred miles on it. So far so good.

Mike

Attachments:
First Test Run.JPG    28.1 KB
First Test Run.JPG

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Good news Mike, it passed the smoke test.
'... so far, so good ...'

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
A nice sunny day, today I logged another 113.6 miles on the Carterized axle. Total so far 206.2 miles. So far so good. I'm of the opinion that if there was any flaw in the concept it would reveal it's self rather quickly. I do have a slight vibration at 40 mph and am wondering if the split collar would cause an unbalance condition in the axle. It was there for the first run as well. I didn't pay much attention to it then. I will remove it before the next run to see if it has an effect.

Mike

Attachments:
1-1-19 113.6 mi.JPG    36.6 KB
1-1-19 113.6 mi.JPG

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Mike,
The split collar is so close to the center of rotation that it isn't likely to cause balance trouble.
All the best,
Paul

ludwig113 Paul Barton
Sutton, surrey, UK   GBR
great work, looking forward to the test results

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Guys,

What do you think if I block up the front wheels and jack up the back one side at a time and run each axle up to 40 mph? That should isolate one side from the other. If no vibration I'll look at the u-joints. BTW the wheels have been balanced.

Is this a crazy idea?

Mike

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1587238 by Hot Spit Guys,

What do you think if I block up the front wheels and jack up the back one side at a time and run each axle up to 40 mph? That should isolate one side from the other. If no vibration I'll look at the u-joints. BTW the wheels have been balanced.

Is this a crazy idea?

Mike

You don't have to go that high. When the suspension is hanging it seems the gremlins come to the surface.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I'd say it is worth a try. you may want to support the hub so that the axel is close to the laden possition ie. No huge positive camber.

I had a similar vibration it took me ages to sort out. It turned out to be a front wheel bearing, but on first inspection I could not find an issue.

I casing seperation in a tire can cause vibration also. Good luck!

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
The wheels may need to be balanced too.

You can do this test wheels off.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA

Is this a crazy idea?

Mike

Mike,
Remember with one wheel stationary the other is turning at twice the speedometer reading. So your proposed method would run the wheels at 80 MPH.
All the best,
Paul

Ken S Ken Steinke
Battle Ground, WA, USA   USA
I had a vibration in my 77 spit. Did all the things mentioned, wheel balance, joints, drive line, etc. Ended up was bent steel rims. Bought alloy rims, problem solved.
Ken

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis

Is this a crazy idea?

Mike

This little test run proved to be inconclusive. Without a load on the wheels all the backlash in the various parts of the drive train have a tendency to rattle hiding any vibration that may be present. I'll look at the u-joints next or maybe drive it the way it is to get more miles on the Carterized axle. I have to think about it.

Mike

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster