Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Wethersfield, CT, USA   USA
We had a heat wave in CT yesterday, it reached 40 Deg. I worked all day putting the drive train back in. Keep in mind at this point in my life I work slow. I finished up today bleeding the brakes and reinstalling the exhaust. Also today the temp was in the 50s so I took the Spit out to gas it up, fingers crossed and praying to the gods of no vibrations, and went for a ride. I put an additional 129 miles on the Carterized axle. We now have a total of 335 miles on it and going strong. I will take it to 1000 miles and call it complete if no issues are found. If it gets to 1000 it'll go to 10000 and beyond. I'm very optimistic about this upgrade.

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 04:30 PM by Hot Spit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4464.JPG    26.4 KB
IMG_4464.JPG

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
The important part is that you get to drive your car !!!

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Another nice day in CT so I took advantage to clock another 112 miles on the modified axle (AKA Carterized Axle). Total now 447 mi. Tomorrow sleet and snow is forecast.

Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4465.JPG    26.4 KB
IMG_4465.JPG

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
No snow yet so out I went. Another 116 mi.

Mike

Attachments:
IMG_4466.JPG    33 KB
IMG_4466.JPG

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
There's gotta be something wrong with your dash readout. 95.5 MPH Max speed?

Marty

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
In reply to # 1594691 by mkivmarty There's gotta be something wrong with your dash readout. 95.5 MPH Max speed?

Marty

Marty, nothing is wrong, the GPS and the speedometer coincide exactly.

120 HP Toyota 22RE
5 speed trans.
3:27 diff ratio
15" wheels
120 MPH?

Mike

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
Ah. Now I see that you have a Toyota motor in there. Still pretty ballsy to get it up that high. I chickened out at 85. It still wanted to do more but I had clean shorts on!!

Marty

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
In reply to # 1594741 by mkivmarty Ah. Now I see that you have a Toyota motor in there. Still pretty ballsy to get it up that high. I chickened out at 85. It still wanted to do more but I had clean shorts on!!

Marty

Marty,

You are so right, it was scary, with a stiff suspension and $hitty roads the car has a tendency to bounce around. It was there for a few moments on a clear stretch with no one else in sight.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 07:29 AM by Hot Spit.

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
The Carterized axle is on the home stretch to 1K miles. Today was a beautiful sunny driving day in CT (33 degF} and tomorrow should be the same. I added another 128 mi to the test run. No issues have cropped up and at this point I don't expect any. When the test run reaches 1000 miles I'll tear it down to see if any thing has shifted or if anything looks amiss. If all is satisfactory I'll offer to upgrade axles and housings to any who would like it done, probably via eBay.

Mike

Attachments:
IMG_4467.JPG    28.6 KB
IMG_4467.JPG

Spit driver Avatar
Spit driver David C
Concord vicinity, NH, USA   USA
Well done. I will be looking forward to this

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Logged another 142 miles today. Snow predicted for tomorrow. Should reach 1000 miles next time out, when the weather decides to cooperate.

Mike

Attachments:
IMG_4469.JPG    29.1 KB
IMG_4469.JPG

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
"If all is satisfactory I'll offer to upgrade axles and housings to any who would like it done, probably via eBay. "

Please keep us up dated on this. I assume that just having the housings machined would be most viable, due to shipping costs.

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
In reply to # 1596119 by Tonyfixit "If all is satisfactory I'll offer to upgrade axles and housings to any who would like it done, probably via eBay. "

Please keep us up dated on this. I assume that just having the housings machined would be most viable, due to shipping costs.

Tony,

I'l use you as an example. I can envision a few scenarios that may suite you or someone who would like to have this done. Since I would have to box and ship to you, I could provide you a two way box. I would send you a box, in the flat, that would allow you to ship just an axle and housing. That's assuming that you can pull the flange and send just the axle and hub. There would be no charge for the box just the cost for the postage to get it to you. Your choice.

Let's assume you have no way to pull the flange. That would require a different box, one that would accommodate the back plate. You would have to strip off all the brake parts from the back plate to keep the weight to a minimum. The box I send to you would accommodate the axle assembly.

If you wanted me to do more such as a new u-joint and outer bearing at the same time that's another option. I'm thinking that not everyone is equipped to do some of this work.

There may be some other options BUT I want to keep it as simple as possible. Keep in mind I'm not running a business I work from home and if I can stay busy doing things that I like to do and at the same time help car guys like me and you then it's a go.

Anyone who has followed this link now has enough info to do this modification them selves or have someone else do for them. I have no problem with that.

I am open to suggestions from all but keep in mind it has to be reasonable.

Mike

PS: right now it's snowing, the last run to reach 1000 miles is on hold.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I might not be the best example, living in Canada and having experiances that have been less than stella with cross border shipping.

However my next rear axel bearing WILL be Carterised. I have a hub puller, and if the hub can be pulled (once in a while they just won't budge, no matter what) I would like to ship the hub to you rather than explain to our local machine shop what I intend.

I would trust them to deal with the axel, if need be they can metal spray, but I see little point in shipping that to you.

All this is hypothetical at this time, but I can see this process being the best option for us in years to come.

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Today I pushed the Carterized modified axle hard to reach the 1000 mile target. Made it with no obvious issues. I have to take advantage of the good weather when it comes or else this test will drag on for months. Next comes the tear-down to see if anything has shifted or looks off. I expect there will be no issues but it has to come apart to be sure. I will get into it next week.

Pay no attention to the test bed driver. He makes the pre 2018 level minimum wage. He's just test bed driver lackey.

Mike

Attachments:
1000 mi Carterised AxleTest Miles, no problems.JPG    30 KB
1000 mi Carterised AxleTest Miles, no problems.JPG

The Test Bed.JPG    52.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
The Test bed Driver.JPG    60.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster