Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

chipkey101 Avatar
chipkey101 Billy Knight
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
I think I may have a head gasket leak. I notice the radiator overflow bottle was needing fluid more than usual. Its runs okay, no overheating. I started it up and let it get up to operating temperature. With some throttle I see many bubbles in the overflow bottle.
I don't see any coolant leaks outside the engine. The oil looks okay.

I think this may have happen a few months ago when I blew the intake/exhaust gasket. I had a failure of the catalytic converter. Its was clogged which caused too much back pressure. It ran hot.

Should I just take it apart or try some other test?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
The intake/exhaust gasket doesn't affect compression

A wet/dry compression test is in order.

Yes No Thank
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
The coolant level in the overflow bottle should go up and down. As the engine heats up the relief valve in the rad cap will open and let coolant out and as the engine cools down it will draw it back in.

'S all for now
Vic

Yes No Thank
chipkey101 Avatar
chipkey101 Billy Knight
Parrish, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601686 by carChips The coolant level in the overflow bottle should go up and down. As the engine heats up the relief valve in the rad cap will open and let coolant out and as the engine cools down it will draw it back in.

Okay understood, but what I'm saying is looking inside the overflow bottle is like blowing bubbles with a straw.

Yes No Thank
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1601691 by chipkey101
In reply to # 1601686 by carChips The coolant level in the overflow bottle should go up and down. As the engine heats up the relief valve in the rad cap will open and let coolant out and as the engine cools down it will draw it back in.

Okay understood, but what I'm saying is looking inside the overflow bottle is like blowing bubbles with a straw.

Billy,
Does it keep doing that after it is fully warmed up? Or does it stop once completely warmed up? Run the engine with the radiator cap off until it is warm and watch for bubbles in the radiator. Compression tests are probably in order.Checking for combustion products in the cooling system is also a test that will tell if the gasket has (likely) blown.
Good luck,
Paul

Yes No Thank
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601691 by chipkey101

Yeah that sounds like you need to spring for another gasket.

Did you do this one?

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster