AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1594904 by clshore
In reply to # 1594880 by arturo64 when adding a lowering black, the diff doesn't move but rather the spring is raised. i would say it's not as easy of an install as the front spring swap but not much worse, it is totally doable. do a search, many explanations of the install. totally worth doing in my opinion

Technically, the spring (and tire contact patches) stay put; the diff, chassis, and whole rear of the car gets lowered.
Since the diff & UJ pivot of the swing axle are lowered, the rear camber become more negative.

Lowering the rear is great if you get just the right amount of camber in the rear wheels, but that can soon get to be a problem if you ever carry anything in the trunk or you prefer a large amount of neg camber for performance but often make road trips where the neg camber may effect wear on your tires or UJ's

The Corvette Air Shock conversion is an easy way to select the rear ride height to your daily needs.
The conversion is easy and for about $75 inexpensive.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
what comes first, the chicken or the egg?? good one, carter
In reply to # 1594904 by clshore
In reply to # 1594880 by arturo64 when adding a lowering black, the diff doesn't move but rather the spring is raised. i would say it's not as easy of an install as the front spring swap but not much worse, it is totally doable. do a search, many explanations of the install. totally worth doing in my opinion

Technically, the spring (and tire contact patches) stay put; the diff, chassis, and whole rear of the car gets lowered.
Since the diff & UJ pivot of the swing axle are lowered, the rear camber become more negative.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Tony, the best post in this thread.

Mark, a lowering block WILL change your camber. Ride height in the back is for certain a secondary consideration here.
And with my basic understanding, the contact patch will also change shape... the good thing is that it (depending on degree) may help performance, but best to understand those effects before spending your hard earned cash.

There has been much written so a search will enlighten you and you must first determine what camber you want.

Arthur, basic genetics tells us it was the egg.smiling smiley

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I would recommend a skid plate on the pan.

TheFlash300 Avatar
TheFlash300 Dave Gutknecht
Rochester Hills, MI, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil Spit"
In reply to # 1595015 by Doug in Vegas I would recommend a skid plate on the pan.

That part is No Longer Available...I suppose you could fabricate your own.
With lowering the car and having about 3.25" minimum ground clearance the only challenge I have faced is scraping the ARB bushing u-bolts on an angled incline when I am unable approach at an angle other than straight on. Also it seems that I find more and more of those areas since lowering the car.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
I did the 330# springs on the front - a 3/4 lowering block on the rear (you can look through the archives for the size studs/bolts needed for the conversion) - the Corvette air shocks for load adjustability (best $100 ever spent by the time I was done - as I put in a 1 to 2 system) - and never looked back.... I love the way she looks and the way the handling improved.... Granted - she rides a tad lower - and you have to take driveway bumps at an angle.... but totally worth the time/effort/expense...… When I load the trunk, the dog, and my daughter - we put a squirt of air in the shocks..... when I run "the course" - I drop the pressure to give me more negative camber... so freakin easy... even with a bicycle pump if that's all I've got available......

Z

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster