Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hardrocker99 Avatar
Hardrocker99 Mark Clark
TROY, NC, USA   USA
I got my new front uprated springs on yesterday and man, what a difference! The stance is killer, the handling is much improved and the ride is so much smoother. Best $70 I have spent so far on this project.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Springs.jpg    71.1 KB
Springs.jpg

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Mark,

Details please.

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

silverlight7 Charles Morris Jr
Louisa, VA, USA   USA
Looks good! What springs did you use, and where did you get them?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
lowering block in back to match?

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Hardrocker99 Avatar
Hardrocker99 Mark Clark
TROY, NC, USA   USA
All,

I got them at British Parts NW as I am in the States. No lowering block in back. Here is the web address for the springs.

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/front-spring-set-uprated-spitfire-71-to-80.html

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Looks good Mark, get a 3/4" lowering block for the back to give even better handling and a level stance.

'S all for now
Vic

Attachments:
spit2017.jpg    41.1 KB
spit2017.jpg

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
Please explain the 3/4" lowering block. Where does it go? Hard to install?

Thanks
Bill

1980 Spitfire

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
Your front end spring rate went from maybe a stock spring rate of 330 to 150 . That's the opposite of smother , that's stiffer .

TheFlash300 Avatar
TheFlash300 Dave Gutknecht
Rochester Hills, MI, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil Spit"
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RH5372

This goes between the differential and the rear spring. It lowers the differential to change the camber of the tires and height of the rear.
Have a read here: http://auskellian.com/paul/links_files/performance_enhancements.htm#rear

I used this lowering block plus the 1" lowering front spings on my '79. I don't have a good picture of it, but it levels out the car nicely.

In reply to # 1594860 by poulsbobill Please explain the 3/4" lowering block. Where does it go? Hard to install?

Thanks
Bill

Hardrocker99 Avatar
Hardrocker99 Mark Clark
TROY, NC, USA   USA
Lizzard, maybe "smoother" wasn't the word I was looking for. Less bouncy maybe? It is more stiff but one bump feels like one bump, not several as it did before. Also, I am not sure the springs I replaced were stock. The ride height always looked too high in front and you would think over the years as the springs wore the ride height would lower, not rise. I suspect someone had replaced them before I got them with the improper springs but I am just guessing on that one. Either way, I am very pleased with the results.

Vic, I will investigate the lowering block as well. Btw, very nice looking Spit you have there!

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
when adding a lowering black, the diff doesn't move but rather the spring is raised. i would say it's not as easy of an install as the front spring swap but not much worse, it is totally doable. do a search, many explanations of the install. totally worth doing in my opinion

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

TVRPhoto Tyson Rininger
Monterey, CA, USA   USA
Check the product link, Lizzard. Quite the opposite.
I have a pair of these waiting to be installed. Happy to hear the good words!

For those who don't know, my understanding is these were the original springs used on British Spits. Due to US bumper height regulations, the front bumper was about 3/4" too low, so Triumph added taller springs to get the bumper height up. This adversely affected handling, so all we are doing is putting back the recommended spring.

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
Thanks guys!

Bill

1980 Spitfire

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594880 by arturo64 when adding a lowering black, the diff doesn't move but rather the spring is raised. i would say it's not as easy of an install as the front spring swap but not much worse, it is totally doable. do a search, many explanations of the install. totally worth doing in my opinion

Technically, the spring (and tire contact patches) stay put; the diff, chassis, and whole rear of the car gets lowered.
Since the diff & UJ pivot of the swing axle are lowered, the rear camber become more negative.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
If you order the lowering block, don't forget to order the longer studs to go with it.

Vic, I will investigate the lowering block as well. Btw, very nice looking Spit you have there!
[/quote]

'S all for now
Vic

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster