AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bkunka Brennen Kunka
Moseley, VA, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Reggie"
In reply to # 1595120 by clshore The VW 1.9 tdi:

Horsepower
From 1996 through 2003, the 1.9-liter TDI created 90 horsepower (hp) at 3,750 revolutions per minute (rpm). In 2004, Volkswagen tweaked the fuel injection system, after which the 1.9-liter TDI produced 100 hp at 4,000 rpm.

Torque
From 1996 through 2003 the 1.9 TDI produced 155 foot-lbs. of torque at 1,900 rpm. In 2004, the torque jumped to 177 foot-lbs. at 1,800 rpm. It remained there until the engine's discontinuation after the 2006 model year.

What are your plans for the transmission?
I'm not aware of any RWD VW diesels, but perhaps one of the RWD transmissions from VWAG will bolt up: Porche, Audi, etc.

The Spitfire drivetrain is barely strong enough for the stock motor.

The Subaru R-160 diff can be fitted to a Spitfire without any frame or body modification, using available adapters.

Another candidate if you are considering frame surgery is the Ford 8.8 IRS diff, and there are ring&pinion gearsets as tall as 2.24 available,
more suitable for a diesel RPM range and torque.

I've got a T5 from a 5.0 mustang and a bellhousing to mate it with the engine. It is going to require some frame tweaks, but the torque rating is like 300 ft-lbs so it should handle the rough diesel power strokes. I have a GT6 3.27 rear end to get the engine speeds I want, and I am well aware that it is the weakest of the already weak stock diffs. I plan on building my own rear suspension some time later, so I'm just going to have to try to behave until I get around to it. Or it blows up regardless and forces me to do it faster.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595132 by Bkunka I've got a T5 from a 5.0 mustang and a bellhousing to mate it with the engine. It is going to require some frame tweaks, but the torque rating is like 300 ft-lbs so it should handle the rough diesel power strokes. I have a GT6 3.27 rear end to get the engine speeds I want, and I am well aware that it is the weakest of the already weak stock diffs. I plan on building my own rear suspension some time later, so I'm just going to have to try to behave until I get around to it. Or it blows up regardless and forces me to do it faster.
The stock axle/s might turn into spaghetti if you nail it .

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
To the original thought...…. Great!! if it works - it works.... no matter how you made it work...… beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595136 by Lizzard
In reply to # 1595132 by Bkunka I've got a T5 from a 5.0 mustang and a bellhousing to mate it with the engine. It is going to require some frame tweaks, but the torque rating is like 300 ft-lbs so it should handle the rough diesel power strokes. I have a GT6 3.27 rear end to get the engine speeds I want, and I am well aware that it is the weakest of the already weak stock diffs. I plan on building my own rear suspension some time later, so I'm just going to have to try to behave until I get around to it. Or it blows up regardless and forces me to do it faster.
The stock axle/s might turn into spaghetti if you nail it .

More likely is that the tires will turn into smoke ...

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595087 by Lizzard
In reply to # 1595081 by Bkunka It may burn the differential off too, but that's a problem for another time
Have you ever noticed how the differential looks like a big old hand grenade ?

........heh.........

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Get a grip guys ….

The 1.9 TDI has similar HP and marginally greater torque than the GT6 motor.
And for those fitting TR6 motors, the numbers torque numbers are on a par.

Yes, the TDI torque is delivered at lower RPM, but redlines are significantly lower, so
diff gearing must be taken into account.

Carter

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster