Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bkunka Brennen Kunka
Moseley, VA, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Reggie"
My '72 is getting a 1.9 VW diesel, so I needed a way to cart the body off to storage while I work on the chassis. Sure steel would have been better, but it was much cheaper to use stuff I had laying around and only pay for some fasteners and a trailer hitch. If you want to follow the progress on this car, I'll post videos on youtube as I work. Most videos will be random other projects though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 05:29 PM by Skye.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20181224_161535 (1).jpg    55.3 KB
20181224_161535 (1).jpg

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
hey, if it works it works! Love the old circular saw too.

Diesel? well to each his own winking smiley

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595055 by tmpass hey, if it works it works! Love the old circular saw too.

Diesel? well to each his own winking smiley

A lot more torque.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Silver Member Jim S
Cumming, GA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
Interesting. Love the welding table...
Thanks for posting.

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Bkunka Brennen Kunka
Moseley, VA, USA   USA
@tmpass Glad you're tolerant of my engine choice. The circular saw was made in 1947 and cuts as easily as any I've used. Probably the best $50 I've spent on a tool (and original case)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 10:28 AM by Bkunka.

Bkunka Brennen Kunka
Moseley, VA, USA   USA
@TriumphFan Thanks! There's a video of the welding table build too if you didn't see it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 10:29 AM by Bkunka.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595050 by Bkunka a 1.9 VW diesel,
With VVT ? PD ? Converted to old school injector pump ?

Bkunka Brennen Kunka
Moseley, VA, USA   USA
I got a mechanical injection pump built, and I'm trying to keep the variable nozzle turbo. I have a rough idea of the mechanical controller I would build for it, taking into account manifold pressure to prevent overboost, and pedal input to spool faster when you step on it. It will also need an adjustable damper to keep it from oscillating too much.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595075 by Bkunka I got a mechanical injection pump built, and I'm trying to keep the variable nozzle turbo. I have a rough idea of the mechanical controller I would build for it, taking into account manifold pressure to prevent overboost, and pedal input to spool faster when you step on it. It will also need an adjustable damper to keep it from oscillating too much.
Talk about having it all ! That will burn the tires off .

Bkunka Brennen Kunka
Moseley, VA, USA   USA
It may burn the differential off too, but that's a problem for another time

In reply to # 1595079 by Lizzard
In reply to # 1595075 by Bkunka I got a mechanical injection pump built, and I'm trying to keep the variable nozzle turbo. I have a rough idea of the mechanical controller I would build for it, taking into account manifold pressure to prevent overboost, and pedal input to spool faster when you step on it. It will also need an adjustable damper to keep it from oscillating too much.
Talk about having it all ! That will burn the tires off .

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595081 by Bkunka It may burn the differential off too, but that's a problem for another time
Have you ever noticed how the differential looks like a big old hand grenade ?

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
Actually 1.9 diesel engine is not a bad choice, more HP and a lot more torque than a Spitfire engine, but that diff may set you back.

I had a wooden roll around body cart I built for the Spitfire, worked great.

Bkunka Brennen Kunka
Moseley, VA, USA   USA
I plan on taking detailed measurements while the body's off so I can design a new rear end with double wishbone suspension and stronger diff. That will be a project for after I've had it together for a while, hopefully it won't take the diff exploding to get the new one in.

In reply to # 1595100 by dherr2 Actually 1.9 diesel engine is not a bad choice, more HP and a lot more torque than a Spitfire engine, but that diff may set you back.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1595101 by Bkunka I plan on taking detailed measurements while the body's off so I can design a new rear end with double wishbone suspension and stronger diff. That will be a project for after I've had it together for a while, hopefully it won't take the diff exploding to get the new one in.

In reply to # 1595100 by dherr2 Actually 1.9 diesel engine is not a bad choice, more HP and a lot more torque than a Spitfire engine, but that diff may set you back.

Brennen, I don’t want to hijack the thread, but now that it’s out there.... great to hear there is another guy looking into that suspension set-up! I’m on the very long road of research right now. I believe Carter has been looking at it too, and Michael Perry is mid-way through adapting a Miata sub-frame; Richard Peetz has also done his own suspension, (VW engine too if I recall). There are a few others too. I hope you’ll let us know as you begin and any progress. thumbs up

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 03:17 PM by Manana.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
The VW 1.9 tdi:

Horsepower
From 1996 through 2003, the 1.9-liter TDI created 90 horsepower (hp) at 3,750 revolutions per minute (rpm). In 2004, Volkswagen tweaked the fuel injection system, after which the 1.9-liter TDI produced 100 hp at 4,000 rpm.

Torque
From 1996 through 2003 the 1.9 TDI produced 155 foot-lbs. of torque at 1,900 rpm. In 2004, the torque jumped to 177 foot-lbs. at 1,800 rpm. It remained there until the engine's discontinuation after the 2006 model year.

What are your plans for the transmission?
I'm not aware of any RWD VW diesels, but perhaps one of the RWD transmissions from VWAG will bolt up: Porche, Audi, etc.

The Spitfire drivetrain is barely strong enough for the stock motor.

The Subaru R-160 diff can be fitted to a Spitfire without any frame or body modification, using available adapters.

Another candidate if you are considering frame surgery is the Ford 8.8 IRS diff, and there are ring&pinion gearsets as tall as 2.24 available,
more suitable for a diesel RPM range and torque.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster