Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mtnwings Avatar
mtnwings Greg B
Ellenville, NY, USA   USA
Hello, Greg Black here. This is all new to me. Road on the road and raced motorcycles all my life, started when I was 9 years old. Certified Honda mechanic. Lost too many friends riding them on the road and I am now very afraid to ride on the road but need that excitement. So: The Spitfire will be replacing that need for me.
Just traded my Flight Star Ultralight for a 79 Spitfire with hard top that needs nothing, it was on the road when we made the deal. But, it's stock! I will be adding a 4-2-1 header, street cam, mill the head, maybe flat pistons but carberation? I have been reading a lot (not enough really) about guys installing motorcycle carbs and loving the results. My question: What is the best dual carb (motorcycle carb) set up for the 1500? I feel using CV carbs are the best choice but not sure if Honda has a 42 or 45 mm CV carb, still looking. Any advise? Please don't try to change my mind, I am doing the motorcycle carb swap but want to stay with Honda if possible. Harley has a bigger carb but I can't afford them. I can only afford something used (old) Also not sure about using CV carbs, I believe they would be better but I do not have that experience yet with this application.
OH, is this the correct forum to be asking these questions?
Thank you
Greg

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I have never heard of anyone using anything other than Mikuni bike carbs on any kind of car.

TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Silver Member Jim S
Cumming, GA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
Here is a place to start. Vintage Performance Developments

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mtnwings Avatar
mtnwings Greg B
Keep reading, you will find Kehin carbs as well as Makuni carbs being used. Both used on motorcycles with great success. I just want to do it once.

Gt6s Avatar
Gt6s Laurence Cochrane
Newtownards, UK   GBR
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "2600 EFI"
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "2500"
1976 Triumph Spitfire "Sixfire 2500"
Think you will find that when fitting bike carbs yo a Spit the rules are There are no rules.

Laurence

TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Silver Member Jim S
Cumming, GA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
The FCR is a great carb. It would be interesting to see them on a Triumph.

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
1937 Dodge Magnum "The Dodge"
1947 Unknown Unknown "My Autocar"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Vicki's Little Red Car"
I put a single 38mm Makuni on my 1500 and it was way to little carburation. (sounded like a strangling giraffe)

mtnwings Avatar
mtnwings Greg B
WOW, A 38 mm ? I have one on my 250 cc motorcycle, You would want at least two and that would be starving the engine. Now four of them, that would work great and look really cool. Kudos for even trying it Dude, nice.
I cant seem to find anything bigger then 38 myself, I am looking for two 45mm carbs

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Seems most owners that go this route use 4 carbs,one per cyl, to avoid uneven intake pulses.

Also I understand using a carb fitted with an integral acceleration pump helps avoid having to rollinto the throttle to prevent the engine bogging down.

Anybody have any links to Jeff's car on the defunct TTN site?

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594104 by mtnwings WOW, A 38 mm ? I have one on my 250 cc motorcycle, You would want at least two and that would be starving the engine. Now four of them, that would work great and look really cool. Kudos for even trying it Dude, nice.
I cant seem to find anything bigger then 38 myself, I am looking for two 45mm carbs

It was an experiment, ran much better than the Stromberg, even if it didn't have any power. I knew I was pulling the engine shortly, for a Ford 3.0 V6 anyway.

mtnwings Avatar
mtnwings Greg B
Four carbs are starting to look like the way to go, and they can be had for 1-10th the cost for some reason. CV carbs, what I was (am) ultimately looking for if I can find them big enough do not need fuel pumps because of their design, Constant Velocity speaks for it self.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I’m a former Honda tech from 25 years ago although I’ve forgotten way more than I remember.

I’ve thought about using the euro spit 1500 manifold with a set off of a CX500. Someone on the MG side did something similar with a 1500 Midget but I can’t remeber what carbs he used.

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
I've been very happy with my quad Keihin CR Specials for 6 years

bluetriumphtr4 william melson
lakeland, FL, USA   USA
I think Jim S is correct about Mikuni's, I talked to a tr owner running two 45's or 42's on a tr4 and he was impressed with the switch. I think they are around $1200 for the pair,if that isn't too expensive for you. I'm saving up for a pair. If your running one carb they come with an adapter
Bill to fit on manifold.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
I thought I paid less than a $100 (new) for the 38mm round barrel I put on mine. It was surprisingly cheap. Makuni knock-off maybe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 09:42 PM by Wolfcreek Steve.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster